Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Does this mean that the contents of the bags doesn't actually reach the charity in question?

All I've ever used those bags for is free bin liners - any donations go direct to the shops or charity warehouse.

Depends - some obviously do as I have seen vans being unloaded at various local shops but if you read the small print on the bags then you may find that the distribution and collection is by a 'rag trade' company who say they will pay the charity £xx for each ton collected. I recall a few years ago we regularly got a pink bag with a large label saying it was for Breast Cancer - but the small print said the proceeds would be donated to an Eastern European Breast Cancer charity (Bulgaria??) . . . . . . !

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was going to make some very erudite and thoughtful remarks this morning but my mind went blank as soon as I looked at the screen. Had a good night last night, Arthur Itis stayed away last night.

3 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Depends - some obviously do as I have seen vans being unloaded at various local shops but if you read the small print on the bags then you may find that the distribution and collection is by a 'rag trade' company who say they will pay the charity £xx for each ton collected. I recall a few years ago we regularly got a pink bag with a large label saying it was for Breast Cancer - but the small print said the proceeds would be donated to an Eastern European Breast Cancer charity (Bulgaria??) . . . . . . !

We get them for charities in Lithuania. There was some without a charity number but they seem to have disappeared recently, whether they were illegal or people got wise to it I couldn't say.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Andy and I are proposing a new European wide law. All locos should have their numbers displayed in numerals at least 200mm high on the side.  30mm on a sticker below the cab us just not fair when the freight is doing 50 mph.

Come, come. 457.2 mm serif, gilt shaded black, is surely want you should be demanding?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny with a chill nor'easterly.

I managed to post the previous day's attempt at GWRd ramblings but only after a bit of editing when a parcel arrived from Bure Valley Models!  I must pay a visit to the railway when we are safe to visit family on that side of the country.  It looks mighty interesting.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie perking up.

Take care and play safe. :offtopic:

_________

Best wishes

Polly

'Er indoors

May I recommend the First Saturday in October, as a return ticket from Hoveton to Aylsham on the BVR will get you free into Broadland Model Railway clubs show .

http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2020-exhibition/  in the Jubilee hall in Alysham. That's a couple of hundred yards from the station. Most of this years cancelled show traders and exhibitors have provisionally agreed to attend in 2021. 

The BVR shop in is the Station at Aylsham and their book shop is at Hoveton..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Afternoon all,

Just had a pleasant lunch (the last of the chorizo and lentil tagine) and I am now vaguely contemplating the universe between teleconferences (my next one is in about an hour).

I have very mixed feelings about charities: firstly I recognise the need to support various good endeavours and I do contribute; however, what really angers me about many “charities” is the obscene amount of monies that are  diverted from the purpose for which they have been donated in the first place and into the pockets of overpaid “executives”, many of whom have what I would term “non-jobs” (such as “diversity awareness officer”).

Whatever happened to the concept of doing a job which you love doing and strongly believe in for a modest yet adequate salary? It would seem to me, and this also goes back to the earlier discussion about “museum professionals“, that nowadays - certainly in the UK and probably elsewhere-universities are turning out graduates from various courses in which they are taught to push all the right buttons, apply standardised solutions (whether the problem needs a standardised solution or not) and apply “diversity and awareness“ criteria regardless of the matter in hand. Which is why we have so-called “museum professionals” acting as curators in Railway and Maritime Museums without any knowledge or interest in the subject of that museum. A harsh judgement? Definitely, but sadly far too applicable to many of the “young professionals” nowadays in far too many areas.

Returning to the subject of charities, sadly nowadays they have become a veritable industry with all the accoutrements that that brings - often to the detriment of the charity, which usually didn’t need “professionalisation“ in the first place. I firmly believe that the way to disrupt this “charity industry“ is not to stop giving, but to stop giving money. So for example, should the RSPCA need money to keep some kennels running, find out what they need for the kennels, buy it and donate those materials and supplies to the charity. The net result being £100 of donation translated into £100 of benefit (and not £100 of benefit less administrative and handling fees and charges). Sadly, this is not always feasible or financially possible. But if it can be done, and you are willing to do so, then I say “donate material not money!“ (and “putting my money where my mouth is “– so to speak - I am filling a box full of toys, leashes and harnesses that Lucy and Schotty have outgrown but which are essentially brand-new and very usable. This, when full, will be given to the local dog shelter. I’ll chuck in a couple of bags of dog food as well).

There are times, usually after an introspective, philosophical and rather generously alcohol fuelled evening “putting the world to rights“ with friends, when I have contemplated what would I do if I were dictator (in the ancient Roman sense) of the UK. I think that I would be a truly conservative dictator (that’s conservative with a small “C“) and conserve what is good about the UK whilst upgrading and improving things to conserve the future for our descendants. And like ancient Roman dictators, I would have my lictors and praetors, filled from the ranks of the erudite, sensible, mature and experienced ERs... Just off the top of my head, I have no doubts in who I would appoint police praetor, railway praetor, aviation praetor and military praetors....

And, also like Roman dictators, once I had achieved my aims for the country I would step down, retire from public life and spend my remaining years in comfortable obscurity.

One can but dream!

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All Hail Ceasar!!!

Which brings the thought to me than when a Roman General celebrated his triumph, entering the city on his chariot, there would be a slave alongside whispering in his ear...." Remember you are but a man". Perhaps that should have been done just under 4 years ago...

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Whatever happened to the concept of doing a job which you love doing and strongly believe in for a modest yet adequate salary?

It doesn’t seem to apply to those who determine the pay scales of people doing what are lower paid posts. So called “Captains of Industry” or other assorted personages seem to need massive salaries as determined by some mysterious market place. They even squeal at paying tax.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Hybrids are new to both of us. The brakes are also quite fierce unless applied very lightly  which gives the sensation that stopping will not occur. 

....... that's exactly what I've found on my new hybrid!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

19 hours ago, southern42 said:

...By bus...

Uxbridge service to Hayes Railway Arms  (replaced by The Tumbler in the Swingin' '60s) on the 204

Hayes Railway Arms to Heathrow on the 140.

https://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/140.html

https://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/withdrawn/204-1.html

Station area of Hayes almost unrecognisable now surrounded by all those high rise buildings.

Mention of the 204 bus takes me back a bit.  It’s route took at past the Brunel University campus, so I used it frequently in the mid 1970s.  Another bus from Uxbridge towards central London was the 207, which was known locally as the banana bus, as you waited ages for one, then they came in bunches!

Nice sunny day here today, so an afternoon walk has been completed.  I was almost too warm in my coat.

I contacted Electricity North West today about the complaint I raised on Sunday following our latest power cut.  They had closed my complaint without either resolving the issues I raised, or telling me.  I was not pleased!  It has now supposedly been reopened and escalated to the next level.  Others in the lane have raised complaints as well, so hopefully they actually do something to improve our supply long term.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15