The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But now a question - what accent does Tony's car have when reading out the texts - is it traditional Solihull or something a step up market to suit the company's current image?

It isn’t a robotic sounding voice. Female BBC newsreader. No particular regional accent.  
I am not sure that the citizens of Solihull would ever accept that there are more up market accents. After all they have a John Lewis. If my Range Rover had an accent based on where it was built it would be Liverpudlian. 

• Like 9
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The other thing that is not being emphasised in the media reports (at least in my view) is that it is a two-part vaccine.

Plenty of media coverage here about it being a two part vaccine. Also about most common side effects being sore injection site, headache, nausea and some fatigue. 
Main Covid discussion point on today’s media  is the US and EU authorities criticising the UK approval process. 

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

CAT scan) are pretty boring, unless you get injected with a contrast medium which makes things rather surreal and you feel like you are on an LSD trip;

You must have different stuff in Switzerland. When the contrast medium here goes in you get a warning you may think you have wet yourself , although you haven’t.  

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Plenty of media coverage here about it being a two part vaccine. Also about most common side effects being sore injection site, headache, nausea and some fatigue. 
Main Covid discussion point on today’s media  is the US and EU authorities criticising the UK approval process. 

How on earth could the EU criticise the UK when ,until now, the European source for testing was the UK approval process.  The US is presumably  a 'trumped-up' charge.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2020 at 08:10, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

snip...

Advent Calendars at the ready. We have not yet decided what time of day or night we shall be opening the windows and having a chocolate. His chocs are hearts, mine are creatures...I will update on that later...

snip...

Two Advent calendars.  Both the same scene but different renderings...so I know which one is mine!  :D

His...with a short fact on the Christmas Story , a heart-shaped chocolate, and a country flag (UK on day 1 and France on day 2) behind each window.

IMG_2537.JPG.b067d30cb2ce1f579d9dae99ebc6fad2.JPG

Hers... with an animal fact and a different animal behind each window, only the animal does not tally with the creature for that window!  :mosking:  Hey, Ho ho ho. No matter...they are small but simply delicious! I savour it until it melts away.  Today's creature story is a squirrel who's forgotten-about acorns are grow into oak trees!  The chocolate is a duck or is it a Christmas Goose  (The Muppets' Christmas Carol)?

IMG_2539.JPG.0144e005fcd78b55ccc36d492fd84e9b.JPG 

IMG_2576.jpeg.5bd934c727696651c3328eba0b792411.jpeg The choccy Duck

The Christmas cards of my take of the film 'Snow (1963)' - Waiting for the Train (1962) and told as a carton strip - arrived this afternoon,  Definitely glad I chose the gloss finish rather than the matt.  All I have to do now is sort out who is to get them, write on them, address the envelopes, and post them. Aaaaaghhhhh!

Back later........I maybe some time.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

It isn’t a robotic sounding voice. Female BBC newsreader. No particular regional accent.  
I am not sure that the citizens of Solihull would ever accept that there are more up market accents. After all they have a John Lewis. If my Range Rover had an accent based on where it was built it would be Liverpudlian. 

If it's a Ford, I think the voice is Kathy Clugston. A Radio 4 presenter/continuity announcer from Northern Ireland.

She used to be referred to as PR4L [*] on the Scott Mills show on Radio 1 

[*] Posh Radio 4 Lady

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

You're quite right that the coverage does mention the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has two (I just looked at the BBC report on the MHRA approval), but I don't think that it is emphasised enough (in that without the second inoculation the vaccine may not work adequately enough), nor do I think that enough emphasis is given to the adverse event profile - not that it's bad, but that Grade 1 to 2 AEs are seen in 80% of people receiving the vaccine (according to the safety data discussed at my meeting yesterday).

It's the two part aspect that concerns me: how many people will get the first jab, feel like crap for a day or so (with a sore arm to boot) and then decide NOT to get the second part. That could be a problem...

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

You must have different stuff in Switzerland. When the contrast medium here goes in you get a warning you may think you have wet yourself , although you haven’t.  

I may have also had that feeling, I don't know, I was too busy communing with the Astral Planes :D:lol:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Two Advent calendars.  Both the same scene but different renderings...so I know which one is mine!  :D

His...with a short fact on the Christmas Story , a heart-shaped chocolate, and a country flag (UK on day 1 and France on day 2) behind each window.

IMG_2537.JPG.b067d30cb2ce1f579d9dae99ebc6fad2.JPG

Hers... with an animal fact and a different animal behind each window, only the animal does not tally with the creature for that window!  :mosking:  Hey, Ho ho ho. No matter...they are small but simply delicious! I savour it until it melts away.  Today's creature story is a squirrel who's forgotten-about acorns are grow into oak trees!  The chocolate is a duck or is it a Christmas Goose  (The Muppets' Christmas Carol)?

IMG_2539.JPG.0144e005fcd78b55ccc36d492fd84e9b.JPG 

...snip...

Back later........I maybe some time.

I like the top (red) one better; easier to visualize.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I certainly got the wet myself feeling, but not the trip.  I had a good laugh with the staff on the second scan, about the percentage certainty I hadn't wet myself because it certainly felt like I had!  Maybe they put more in that time, still no trip :(

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, newbryford said:

If it's a Ford, I think the voice is Kathy Clugston. A Radio 4 presenter/continuity announcer from Northern Ireland.

She used to be referred to as PR4L [*] on the Scott Mills show on Radio 1 

[*] Posh Radio 4 Lady

It isn’t a Ford, it is a Land Rover of the Range Rover Evoque variety. It does sound like a Radio 4 lady.  Matthew described his Mum’s accent as Radio 4 newsreader lady with a hint of Yorkshire. Siri on my iPad is male and Irish just to be different. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

A friend of mine when he was being scaned, when they put the tracer in said that it felt like the stuff was running down the outside of his arm

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news, Bear has spent yet another day working on the infamous stair box - namely the wooden framework for the plasterboard.  Deep joy - not, and still more to do :(

Glad you are being kept out of mischief and away from everyone else's cake!

• Agree 6
  • Funny 13

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

How on earth could the EU criticise the UK when ,until now, the European source for testing was the UK approval process.  The US is presumably  a 'trumped-up' charge.

The US is always wary of others successes, more jealous of beaten to the post!  On the whole they are quite cautious but there is a large constituency of doubters who have to be considered, many of whom these days reject anything to do with the party in power, even if it does save their lives.  Such is the power of political persuasion:unknw_mini:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13