The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS No activity beyond occasional smoking behind the bike shed and bys and girls were segregated during free time outdoors.  But one couple in my year reputedly managed to 'go all the way' on the lawn in front of the main building one dark evening

At an all-boys grammar school and with the girls school some miles away any activity “behind the bike sheds” usually involved nothing more than smoking. Usually. 

In the late 60s / early 70s any form of intimacy with a member of the same sex was usually frowned upon atvthe very least. There was one case of two lads being “caught in the act” which resulted in both receiving six of the best before being expelled.  

Then there was the Games Master. Having unrestricted access to the sight of younger lads changing and showering might have had something to do with his ways. BiL called him out once. Offered him outside. As in behind the bike sheds. He declined. 

The bike sheds were right in front of the main entrance so anything taking place would have been in full view. 

On the rare event of school dances the janitor patrolled the secluded area behind the gym but was easily “bought” with a couple of Woodbines. One couple known to me made use of that space on such an occasion which resulted in an unexpected addition to the population. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I was at an all boys school and it sounds very much like Gwiwers in many ways. One or two of the staff  were certainly gay, Russell Harty was a house master (Carr)  but as far as I was aware nothing untoward happened between staff and boys. There were a couple of housemasters daughters, who were allegedly fairly 'enthusiastic'.  We did have an annual dance with Casterton, the girls boarding school about 20 miles away. That was fairly rigourously chaperoned but it was very easy to arrange rendevous' for the folowing Sunday, or so I am told.  Smoking was definitely banned and at least one contemporary was expelled. Corporal punishment was a normal part of life though I escaped that by the skin of my teeth.  Since it has gone coed the atmosphere has changed for the better.  I presume that each house no longer has to line up in the gym naked to be weighed and measured once more and that swimming costumes are now allowed in the swimming  bath. They were banned when I was there as many lads wore them under their rugby shorts and they got very muddy. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

And at Grammar School our houses were Red, Blue, Yellow and Green. Red was Spartans.. these were only used when we had inter house Sevens at Rugby or inter house Athletics in Summer. 

Baz 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening, after a beautiful day.

Buqqer - two covid cases in the community found this afternoon, no known links found (yet) to the 'steam packet' group.  There is a controlled batch of them who all got it via a member of the ferry crew, but that has been isolated well up until now.  It may be a link is found, in which case it'll be contract-traced and should be OK.  If not, we're heading for another circuit breaker. Pants.

A bobby I used to work with  was a really straight guy, good copper, nothing daft, really level headed - until it came to football.  He was a Manchester City supporter, season ticket holder (left the island every chance for home games), and should anyone so much as mention a team with a red strip would erupt!  He described it as a religion, not a sport, obviously he was a fundamentalist!  His wife, a sergeant, was exactly the same!  What a pair - it all goes ten feet over my motorsport-only head.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

My father, who followers of this esteemed column will recall founded a football club, used to say that there were two sorts of football 'followers'  s. There are the followers these are the people who enjoy watching the game because of the comradeship and the fact that it allows them to be involved in something bigger than them. Then there are the supporters, these people were the ones who would turn out on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings in the pouring rain etc. Needless to say which my father was.

I won't tell you what he thought of some of bigger league clubs but suffice to say he wasn't enamored with them.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. There was still no sign of the item I ordered from Hong Kong before Christmas. According to the tracking it was still in Abu Dhabi. I contacted the trader a little while ago and he refunded me in full straight away. Only bugbear is that I was able to source a replacement from another trader (the first trader had sold out) but as it was ordered after the 1st. of January I had to pay 20% VAT. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

At an all-boys grammar school and with the girls school some miles away any activity “behind the bike sheds” usually involved nothing more than smoking. Usually. 

In the late 60s / early 70s any form of intimacy with a member of the same sex was usually frowned upon atvthe very least. There was one case of two lads being “caught in the act” which resulted in both receiving six of the best before being expelled.  

Then there was the Games Master. Having unrestricted access to the sight of younger lads changing and showering might have had something to do with his ways. BiL called him out once. Offered him outside. As in behind the bike sheds. He declined. 

The bike sheds were right in front of the main entrance so anything taking place would have been in full view. 

On the rare event of school dances the janitor patrolled the secluded area behind the gym but was easily “bought” with a couple of Woodbines. One couple known to me made use of that space on such an occasion which resulted in an unexpected addition to the population. 

Having gone through the  British system, it was a revelation to come to the US where boys and girls actually were allowed together in class.  I remember well the separation of the sexes in the UK in the fifties and sixties and thought it ridiculous at the time even then.  Goodness knows what effect this had on some  and as one commenter mentioned had to get six of the best, as though that was going to make a difference in a lifetime.  Such was the thinking by some in those days and I met a few!:rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

E-bay now automatically add 20% VAT to items coming from abroad on behalf of HMRC.

My package is not from eBay, it is direct from the manufacturers website. So it will be interesting to see what happens. The Correos Post tracking number had appeared in my Royal Mail tracking app. I ordered the bits on Thursday night, they were despatched Friday morning and have left Spain today. 

• Like 14

On football fans, I understand the word is derived from fanatic.

A nice definition of fanatic, often attributed to Churchill but with a complicated history, is:

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind, and won't change the subject

(This version might belong to Ambrose Bierce or Evan Esar in 1943.)

Of course it's relevant to other topics, like one's favourite grouping-era railway, or politics, or many other subjects people can feel passionate about.

My school had houses as well, along with names they were designated colours (red, yellow, green and blue) and had simple heraldic shields that appeared no where other than being hung up in a large multi-purpose room. Their sole relevance was at the annual swimming and 'athletics' (track and field) carnivals, (which in the US would be called intramurals) where we were expected to compete for our house. In day-to-day school life, the houses were almost meaningless. 

I duly did my best to swim in 50m races without swallowing half the pool and run around the running track (which encircled the cricket oval, and therefore was grassy and a very slippery surface without wearing spikes). Even in the random heats, I rarely placed. The good news was that once my race was done, my duty to compete was discharged for the rest of the day.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Having gone through the  British system, it was a revelation to come to the US where boys and girls actually were allowed together in class.  I remember well the separation of the sexes in the UK in the fifties and sixties and thought it ridiculous at the time even then.  Goodness knows what effect this had on some  and as one commenter mentioned had to get six of the best, as though that was going to make a difference in a lifetime.  Such was the thinking by some in those days and I met a few!:rolleyes:

Brian.

Even my Cornish primary school had separate play yards for boys and girls, had separate entrances for them too but we were at least in mixed classes.  As a village school of just four classes (taught by just three teachers somehow) we couldn't really be split indoors.  We had a lunch room which was also separated with girls one side boys the other but there was just a single sitting with us all in together.  

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

First primary school I don't remember much of 

Second primary school, separate boys and girls entrances, with white line down the middle of the playground to keep us apart, the line ended at the outside, mostly unroofed toilets.

But in class we were sat a boy and girl at each paired  table in total silence, unless asked a question .

First secondary school boys only, out in fields between the three villages contributing pupils, behind the bike sheds was smokers territory., You weren't allowed in the building during playtime whatever the weather. Girls school was almost opposite our house, by the time you got back the local girls had gone home and the other villages girls bussed away.

Second secondary school mixed, Catholics from South Uist, Free Church of Scotland from North Uist, us foreigners from Benbecula in the middle keeping our heads down between Rangers and Celtic..

Third Secondary school, mixed, a huge school, playtime was spent walking from class to class. Lots of portacabin extra classrooms, behind which the smokers and various assignations took place. However the girls weren't interested in the borders in the school single sex hostels , as we were imprisoned, for but all 3 hours Saturday morning and 3 hours Saturday afternoon.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

Saw our next door neighbour yesterday. They have a 4 month old American Akita pup. He is already large but neighbour reckoned that he will stay small..yeh! Right!

I had an Akita (a real Japanese one) when I was living in Japan and when I got home his front paws reached to my chest when he jumped up to greet me.

They are big dogs!!

Keith

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

I had an Akita (a real Japanese one) when I was living in Japan and when I got home his front paws reached to my chest when he jumped up to greet me.

They are big dogs!!

Keith

I have a vague memory that Akitas are meant to be controlled like pit bulls under the Dangerous dogs act, bu that may have changed since I retired.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5