The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A new scam call this morning.  Apparently I need to confirm my purchase of an i-phone 7 worth £399 from Tesco.  No I don't.  The phone rang twice in rapid succession after that but one was a personal call and the next was to arrange my next diabetic review. 

I'm not a fan of any coffee other than a passable instant these days.  I used to have a vintage hand grinder, an electric one and several percolators, cafetieres and plain coffee pots, and was given/bought quality beans.  I could rarely get it to my taste and it was all too much faff for the end result.

Time to put their dinner on.

Stay elfy,

Pete

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Here.

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers (ESME) Almondell 7¼” gauge Circuit drivers eye view: https://youtu.be/3SoJ6ihWWio

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers (ESME) Almondell 5” & 3½” gauge circuit drivers eye view: https://youtu.be/ll13jSY9YGs

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers Website: https://edinburgh-sme.org.uk/

Scottish Model Engineering Trust (SMET) Wester Pickston Drivers Eye View: https://youtu.be/6vSStE22Udg

Scottish Model Engineering Trust (SMET) Website: https://smet.org.uk/

That's an interesting looking site, well outside Edinburgh near Broxburn. Handily closer to my parents in Bo'ness. Something to visit when we're up that way..

Also closer to my sister who has spoken to the fish on many occasions, my sister is looking forward to retirement away from the civil service..

Pressing a button in response to these fake calls can cost you a lot of money, as it can redirect you to an expensive line...

A wasted day today, the trouble with this particular calibration is you  haven't any idea that there is anything wrong, till the end of the automatic runs and the results are processed.. A problem with a test lead means they were crap, try again for that next week..

I think it's time to open a bottle of red..

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I know its a bit late in the afternoon but where did it go? Congratulations Polybear on your weight loss, jealous, moi? Yes I am as I have lost some weight but only about four or five Kg. I put it down to not going to Tess Coes on a daily basis and not being tempted by all those fattening things that make the scales scream for mercy. My BMI which I checked only yesterday is 29.7, still far to high but heading in the right direction.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Re scammers, they must indeed be sufficiently successful that they keep on trying. I’m reading about scams (attempts and successes alike) fairly regularly. Here, one of the methods they appear to prefer would be pretending things like a more or less relative having been arrested for supposedly having caused injury or death and requiring a major amount of money to be paid as bail. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

I’ve just spent an interesting hour or so skimming through the 72 pages of a great-uncles WW1 military records on a Canadian government website. The stored records are scans of paper documents and, since almost all of the information is handwritten, they’re not too easy to read. However, there is a lot of interesting stuff there. He was a gunner with a Canadian artillery regiment in France.

There are several forms where his previous civilian job is entered. He was employed by Canadian Pacific in Toronto,  which is not too surprising, since he had previously worked for Union Pacific in Cheyenne. In only one form, his job is ‘steam fitter’. Anywhere else, he’s described as a ‘stripper’! My relative was a CPR Chippendale dancer??? Actually ‘stripper’ appears to have been an official job description - I’ve seen it in connection with the (then) main CPR Angus Shops in Montreal.

I would probably never have thought to look up these records if it hadn’t been for a request from a friend of my wife in England. The friend’s husband is doing family research, has found that a relative was in a Canadian regiment in WW1, and wanted to know if there was any way to find details of his service. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

It looks good, but I have to ask, chips with a pasty?  Thats the sort of thing they do over here.

Absolutely, though Bear thought it was a bit light on the chips (though I'm not a Cornish Pasty sorta Bear anyway - a Cheese n' Onion Pasty is more Bear's scene).

I do recall ordering chips (sorry, Patate Frittes) whilst working in Italy in 1986/87) - some restaurants were ok about it, whilst others seemed to "forget" the chips.  I guess it wasn't the done thing then.  Bear does recall at one restaurant the waiter disappearing after plonking the chips on the table, then coming back a couple of minutes later and quietly plonking a bottle of tommy sauce on the table.  Not sure if he was taking the p1ss or not....

• Like 13
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Pressing a button in response to these fake calls can cost you a lot of money, as it can redirect you to an expensive line...

The button I press is the big red one at the bottom of the keypad

Great news Mr Bear!!

Unfortunatly blocking a number is like playing wack-a-mole they are spoofing numbers

• Like 6
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Tempus fugit, where has the day gone? Time seems to go quicker and quicker or am I getting slower and slower. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

For those looking at an early retirement:

(This is based on Canadian practice.)

Check what we call OPRB -- Other Post-Retirement Benefits.  Here it includes health insurance top-ups, dental insurance, life insurance.

When you leave early with pension credits you can opt to start pension immediately or postpone it until "Normal Retirement Age". A common practice here is that starting your pension immediately will continue (some) OPRB. Taking deferred vested  May mean that those benfits don't come. Your pension should be a bit larger, though. 

Your HR department should be able to give you details (unless you want to be quiet about it) and you should have a booklet with the details.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1