Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

At the time,1976, it was a very hot summer and ladybird.  Seem to remember a previous rat plague in OZ a few years ago that hit our newspapers.

We're always having plagues of things, rabbits, cane toads, Leo sayer.

WE even have plagues of things that are meant to be here like roos.

Most famous one you've never heard of was the Western Australia Great  Emu War of  1932.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The Zoom talk went well despite a few technical glitches at the speakers end. A very interesting talk and a discussion afterwards about more local transport such as the new Southend pier trains. Now to catch up on Farcebook, be back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and plastic ducks ...

Was expecting the story of the plastic ducks that were lost at sea and the scientific information that came about because of where they floated and how long it took.

Noted that France is going in lockdown and that our own levels are levelling rather than actively 'decreasing'.  Always nice when a colleague says 'thanks'

Triggers.  On one occasion I was asked to give a session in another college as their lecturer was ill. I was given a handout by them to use ... one that I had produced for my team but with their heading!  Must have done something right at some time.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Triggers.  On one occasion I was asked to give a session in another college as their lecturer was ill. I

I was away ill for a while and the school couldn’t cover my CSE Physics class so asked the local technical college if they had a lecturer they could borrow. He came for one session. Years later I taught his daughter physics at another school. She told me what had happened. Apparently one lad had objected when his bag was thrown out of the first floor window. While the bag owner looked out of the window someone else tipped him out too. The lecturer was not impressed with the school response to this and walked. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Doesn't take much heat to actually ignite Mg to produce the blinding light emission.

If I remember my 'o' level chemistry correctly Magnesium is one of a group of metals that react when they come into contact with water producing a bright flame. The oxidised outer layer makes the metal stable in air.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If I remember my 'o' level chemistry correctly Magnesium is one of a group of metals that react when they come into contact with water producing a bright flame. The oxidised outer layer makes the metal stable in air.

Are you thinking of sodium?

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Are you thinking of sodium?

If my memory isn't playing tricks, which might be possible, I think sodium and lithium were in the group. Lithium being the most reactive. Just remembered that it wasn't water that caused the reaction but rather it stopped it by oxidising with the metals  surface to form a protective coating. Amazing to think that I learnt that over forty years ago.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If my memory isn't playing tricks, which might be possible, I think sodium and lithium were in the group. Lithium being the most reactive. Just remembered that it wasn't water that caused the reaction but rather it stopped it by oxidising with the metals  surface to form a protective coating. Amazing to think that I learnt that over forty years ago.

Very clean magnesium reacts mildly with cold water producing hydrogen. But most magnum in a lab is well oxidises.

Magnesium is one reason why aluminium is not allowed in coal mines, as aluminium is virtually impossible to make without some magnesium still in the mix. If you strike aluminium with steel, and in the dark of coal mines you can;t see what you're hitting, and if you do this you stand a chance of producing a very high temperature spark, and coal mines are not the best place to have that happen, (Spark + oxygen + methane = mega bang)

When we did any hydraulics we had o make sure all valves had brass labels

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Very clean magnesium reacts mildly with cold water producing hydrogen. But most magnum in a lab is well oxidises.

Magnesium is one reason why aluminium is not allowed in coal mines, as aluminium is virtually impossible to make without some magnesium still in the mix. If you strike aluminium with steel, and in the dark of coal mines you can;t see what you're hitting, and if you do this you stand a chance of producing a very high temperature spark, and coal mines are not the best place to have that happen, (Spark + oxygen + methane = mega bang)

When we did any hydraulics we had o make sure all valves had brass labels

It was the same in the gas industry, aluminium ladders were banned as we had a lot of stainless steel pipework in governor houses and there was always gas in those places. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10