The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Doesn't vary much.  I cubic meter weighs 1 tonne. We've got 25 tonnes in the pool.

Bewzre, I married a former medicak secretary, she 5aught me a lovely word,TENESMUS which means avpain in the ar5e.

Jamie

There is that down side, but at least I'll have my health :no:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

Pizza for lunch - something from Tesco (one of their better ones) duly 'sorted' with extra toppings by the GD.   Pizza was something I never came across as a youngster - it was something Italians ate as far as I knew (incorrectly) and  don't think I ever ate any until I was past my teens, strange how the world changes.

Bear's first ever Pizza:

December 1985, Ristorante Casa d'Italia - Lytham St. Annes.  My first ever company jolly - and a first ever stay in a Hotel (the St.Ives - I got the room that had a bl00dy great 5" cast Iron pipe running thru' it from ceiling to floor - all I got was the sound of clinkers bouncin' thru' it every time a bog was flushed on the floor above.  Plus it was close to the indoor pool, so I got the smell of chlorine too.  F. delightful).

Anyway, back to the Pizza....."unimpressed" would be the polite term.

Fast forward to late 1986 and my first ever visit overseas - to Italy...

My mate Tony picked me up from Milan airport.....the conversation turned to food en-route to the Hotel....

Bear:  "Ok Tony, what the food score?"

Tony:  "If all else fails I know where there's a McDonalds"

Bear:  "I don't like Burgers..."  (Bear wasn't known as "Egg n' Chips" for nothing....)

Tony:  "Oh my god...."

That night, in the local Restaurant.....

Bear:  "Ok Tony, break me in gently (DON'T even go there you lot....)"

Tony:  "Why not start with a Pizza - you can't go wrong with a Pizza...."

Bear:  "Which one?"

Tony: "A Margherita - that's just cheese and Tomato"

Bear:  "I don't like Tomato...."

Tony:  "Oh my god.....ok, a Bianco - that's just cheese...."

(Later) Bear "unimpressed" with his (second ever) Pizza - bland being an understatement.....

Second night:  Bear was mighty courageous and had a full blown Margherita, after discovering that the "tomato" was more akin to tommy sauce.  A vast improvement.

Third Night:  Bear spies a waiter carrying chips....

Bear:  "Tony - THEY HAVE CHIPS OUT HERE!!"  :yahoo:

It did become apparent that certain establishments would have a habit of "forgetting" the chips - they were reminded...."

When Bear discovered that tommy sauce (in a bottle) was also available things took a significant turn for the better.

And now?  Italian Restaurant (Bear's first choice, anywhere) means a Pizza.  Bring it on....

Have a good day folks and thing of my knees etc as I crouch.  However at least the GD's hospital is back in gear on elective orthopaedic work although not yet up to normal pace as theatre staff were diverted to the ICU to help with Covid patient workload.  Once they're back up to full staffing they will probably be going as quickly as they were before Christmas when they were getting nearly twice as many patients through on elective surgey as they normally did with all the theatres working 7 seven days a week. (the hospital where she is currently based only does elective orthopaedic surgery normally).

Picture the scene:

You're lying on the table, waiting for a new hip (often done whilst the patient is awake, or so I believe)

"Stan, what hammer do we use - haven't done this for a year...?"

"Dunno Bert, I was wonderin' that too...the Ladybird Book of Surgery was a bit sketchy on details.  Use the biggun....."

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think I am growing back the bone they cut off the femur and pelvis (won't show the photos, Bear may collapse) ........

Bear has a cushion at the ready....:jester:

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Our mutual friend introduced me to a superb, small Italian restaurant in Welwyn during our "once a week  exhibition planning meetings" (heaven forbid we'd spend the whole day working - that's not what retirement is about!).

Their Calzone very quickly became Pupper's favourite dish  :biggrin_mini2:

Would that be the "Vita" or the "Aqua"?

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Bikes.jpg

Sure you wouldn't rather have a Hodna? :jester:

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm afraid they are probably the same at 'home' so see no reason to change when they go 'away'. There are times when I think some people really shouldn't be let out unsupervised.

Euthanized might be a suitable alternative.

In other news:

Bear managed a tidy-up of (what is supposed to be/destined to be) the m**** r****** room, but in practice is a dumping ground at present.  Now it only looks like a small bomb hit it.  Bear also managed to investigate the Nobex Mitre Saw (not a cheap bit of kit) that I've probably had for the best part of 25 years now; it's only used infrequently but is invaluable for accurate cutting.  However, in recent months it has been a right b'stard to use - the action has been very, very stiff and the accuracy dropped right off too.  So Bear decided to investigate - I'll be needing it for the kitchen installation.  Nothing obvious was detected; there are four rectangular plastic/nylon bushes that act as bearings - I cleaned & swapped the positions of these and now the action seems much smoother, though I've yet to try cutting with it.  I'll see if I can buy some new bearings too - Nobex are still a big name for such things, though this particular model is discontinued.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would that be the "Vita" or the "Aqua"?

Vita but you won't be surprised to hear that we've also sampled Aqua and many other local eaterys  (Italian, French, Indian, Chinese, Thai, "English Pub") - Exhibition planning is a very hunger inducing occupation!

40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sure you wouldn't rather have a Hodna?

My dear boy, wash your mouth out with soap and water!  

........... but I could be easily tempted by a good condition, early, air-cooled Yamaha RD :D

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I was inspecting the painted area for dryness and righting a pot of aquatic plant which must have fallen over during the winter, when my eyes concentrated on a few emerging leaves exposed by the drop in water level and found I was staring at a frog. 

It's surprising how blended in they can be! I've nearly forked two in my garden so far.

Happy they've found a home in my garden though. Completely unintentional. 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Simon G said:

Your beer can appears to have been printed the wrong way round!!

That’s to avoid anyone spotting the name. The good stuff would appear with its name right way round :jester:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Time I think to use your insider knowledge and get a sooner date. I happen to be on first name terms with several medical secretary's, don't ask me how I achieved that as it could become rather embarrassing and lead to me being removed from this thread but I shall just say the things we do for Queen and Country.

Unfortunately my NHS network is in the UK - my last job there was as a manager of an outpatients service -my contacts here are more, er, blue serge.

• Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

That’s to avoid anyone spotting the name. The good stuff would appear with its name right way round :jester:

It could be worse it could be their Tadcaster neighbours Sam Smith's  the bitter is terrible but the lager they make called Aylingerbrau or something along those lines is like rocket fuel

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

It's a scientific fact that the wearing of clean socks is just as efficient at the prevention of covid as two doses of vaccine :jester: ...snip...

Would that not depend on where one puts one's feet?? :yahoo_mini:

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It could be worse it could be their Tadcaster neighbours Sam Smith's  the bitter is terrible but the lager they make called Aylingerbrau or something along those lines is like rocket fuel

Their mild is very good though. I lived next door to a Sam's pub for 38 years.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Question Of The Day?

Why do those little splits in the end of your thumb (that usually start just underneath your thumb nail) hurt so bl00dy much??  Especially when you get one in each thumb at the same time....:cry:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Their mild is very good though. I lived next door to a Sam's pub for 38 years.

Jamie

Our first house when we moved in together was in Purston mid way between the Travellers rest and the White House pubs. The White house was a Sam Smith's pub it was more like going into some ones front room for.a.drink than going for a pint. Better than The Railway in Knottingley even the pool.ball stopped rolling when you walked in.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

About 35 years ago I worked for Lloyds Bank in Derby where Pat Hughes was the Manager's Secretary - along with her husband Ron, they ran the AJS Owners Club Spares Department..

Sad to report that a post on the Jampot forum (AJS + Matchless Owners Club) last October that Pat has recently died.

"Sad to learn that Pat Hughes has passed away. Pat although not as active in the Poachers section as her late husband Ron had been very active on the national committee.

She was a vice president of the club and held many positions as a committee member including PRO and for many years was the machine dating officer. Both Pat and Ron were involved with the setting up of the spares scheme and for many years also organized and ran the club stand at shows up and down the country.

Pats passing is sadly the end of an era, she was one of the many people instrumental in moving the the club forward and making it what it is to day. Pat may you rest in piece."

I have to say when I acquired my bike ~ 4 years ago I was amazed at the availability of spares still available for bikes which ceased manufacture ~ 55 years ago from the very active Owners Club.  My wallet was even more amazed, no terrified, that not 6 miles from where I live there is another very knowledgable, friendly chap (indeed a marquee expert) who sells a vast array of useful bits and pieces to help keep the old girl chugging who is only too keen to pass on his knowledge to newbies like myself   :)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1