The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I think it rained during the night. It was sunny earlier but there is more cloud now. Aditi had plans to to cut the grass but may not be able to do so if the forecast rain appears. 
Tony

• Like 19

Well sat here in car outside the surgery awaiting return of patient. Weather can't seem to make it's mind up, again. One minute sunny next dark ominous clouds. Just keeping fingers crossed as washing is out. Anyway another exiting day awaits.:picknose:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Warm and sunny down here in the southeast corner, think its grass cutting day today.

I've never been in an Ikea store and probably never will. One thing I do know is that I won't order anything from Ikea online for home delivery.  The Parcelforce guy was trying to deliver this package to my neighbours (who were busy dealing with the birth of their first child):

IKEA-01.jpg.6e034e630cb07f3762f508349e6168ec.jpg

Bits and pieces were falling out everywhere, the items were just wrapped in rather thin and easily tearable paper..... Could not believe it when I looked at the address label and saw who the shipper was Ikea.

Keith

I ordered a new TV remote from E-bay. It arrived in a flimsy plastic envelope with absolutely no padding. It was then posted through my letterbox falling three feet onto a concrete floor. I am waiting for a replacement.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

If you need amusement, Mike (SM) and I have both contributed to the thread about Hitachi's problems. It's had some utterley stupid and crass comments as well as some very informative and intelligent ones from people who know what they are talking about.  It seems to have been like what I imagine the threads about new unmentionables in red and blue boxes are like.

Par for the course. Too many people who seem to imagine we are still living in the 1960s - the root of many of our problems.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis started grumbling about an hour ago but has now quietened down. The California lilac is in full flower but still no sign of the bees that are normally swarming all over it by now. Hopefully its just a delay caused by the recent cold weather and they'll be out in a couple of days. Still a bit blustery which might also be keeping the bees away. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Raining, sunny, raining, sunny, raining, sunny again...  I wish it could make up it's mind!

However, all lupins, sunflowers and daisies potted up to the next stage, so that's nice.

Have also made Mrs Topham Hatt a care basket of sweets and crisps.  While she's trying to lose weight, I included some flowers and a note to say eat them slowly over a few weeks - I can always help her!

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning - only just! Oh well.

Not a lot to report from yesterday, highlight was another walk around the Japanese/Peace Garden late afternoon with Whitney.

It's become her favorite location and a very nice place to walk around, over by one of the area/city lakes. It's adjacent to a bird sanctuary (no dogs allowed in there) but as a result there are plenty of birds in the area to watch while we walk.

Mrs working today, then more dog walking I suspect, Whitney says "Yes for sure!".

Freezing first thing, aka ZERO, sunny and heading for 16 later.

ENjoy the day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I suspect Hitachi have been buying parts from Hornby.. in particular...

Mazak...

• Funny 15

Good Evening from an overcast part of West Suffix.

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

It was very nice to meet @Gwiwer while waiting for my train to Littlehampton. Sadly my wife was unable to travel today but hopefully she will be able to join me going to Eastbourne on Thursday. When I suggested I did not go she insisted that I did so we have a day without each other, something that has not happened for around nine months! 

A day trip to Littlehampton (Downtown LA) - there must have been a very good reason!! Surely, not many go there by choice :jester:

Quiet evening planned; will it materialise? Time will tell!

Deciding on supper first so let's see what happens!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Think he'll have gone by the time they get there PB. You could try a ICBM strike or would that be overkill.

For those guilty of grassing up Bears (or, for that matter Hippo's) then believe me, NOTHING is considered overkill....

24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I can also see some rapid rewriting of depot lifting instructions for the 800 class been sent from Hitachi

Bear has stayed well away from such threads; do I detect a possibility that depots have been lifting incorrectly?

Reminds me of the time when 3(?) Lynx Helicopters were given (sold?) by HMG to Pakistan.  Now the correct way to lift such a beast is by use of special lifting beam attached the the rotor head.  Sadly the bright sparks decided that the (tie-down) shackles on the nose and main undercarriage sponsons would be ideal lifting attachment points in the absence of the special lifting beam.

The result:  A very quick lesson in how to write off an airframe you've only just received....

In other news:

Bear spent a fun day considering sink size options and choice; the sink unit is only 500mm wide so I need to be absolutely sure that the chosen sink will enable useful activities to be carried out, such as fitting (and removing) a  tap assembly once the sink is in position, and being able to actually hook up the plumbing as required.  A bl00dy nightmare job trying to balance all the angles.  I've also discovered that the horizontal frame brace fitted at the top & front of the sink base unit will need to be all but cut away in order for the sink to be fitted.  Luckily Bear chose a unit that has a dummy drawer front above the door - so I can fit a vertical frame brace behind it and so restore much of the rigidity to the base unit.  Another job to do....  Then it was establishing the position of a rectangular slot to be cut in the floor of the base unit to allow the pipework from the dishwasher to be hooked up to the sink drain and cold supply.  But to cut this slot I first had to remove the back panel...which had been stapled in....

Final finishing of the hole (after cutting with a jigsaw) was using Bear's trusty Powerfile; unfortunately the sanding belts appeared to have a life expectancy measured in seconds - good job I had plenty, as I must've got thru' half a dozen at least. :angry: Maybe they had degraded in storage - they were a few years old?

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

It is lifting blocks that are damaged i am led to believe, so I would expect something along those lines. 

I once had to write instructions for a torque wrench.

At Bison s Iver factory loading was done unattended we had some step frame trailers for a special job from Bison Lichfield to Newcastle Fc. Anyway one or 2 got backloaded towards London and therefore ended in Iver. 

Anyhow the idiots tried loading a rediculas amount of concrete on the swan neck of the trailer ,and then they wondered why the swan neck snapped off.

Contemplating ringing Gloucestershire police and telling them Fred West did my decking a couple of planks are life expired

• Like 7
  • Funny 4