Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The only time I was down there "on that thar bridge" (Q), I saw Live and Let Die at the cinema. That dates it!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It's too white therefore racist...:D

Bear thought exactly the same when I posted it....:laugh:

This afternoon's fun has consisted of a bit of zedding, followed by a bit of painting.  A visitor called to collect the old kitchen mixer tap that was given away via Freecycle (now Freegle) - keeps it out of landfill.  Bear has also listed a camcorder that buddy next door was going to chuck - as far as I know it's fine, except for the fact that the ribbon cable which connects the eyepiece to the camera body is fractured, meaning the eyepiece viewer doesn't work.  Not an issue though, as in Bear's experience such gadgets are rarely used using the eyepiece - most use the fold-out screen instead, which is fine; sadly the fault makes it a no-no for a charity shop though.  Two asked about it - promised to one who was a no-show (T0sser) and when Bear offered it to the other there was no response (small T0sser).  Must've been a five hundred quid bit of kit when new, and looking increasingly like it'll be landfill fodder.  Shame.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

I am flattered that you think me clever enough to make one.  The best I can do is offer some directions:

In YouTube, select 'search' and enter 'EM Gauge Society'.  There you should find several videos.  Select 'Lecture 4 - first generation dmus' and prepare to be captivated for the next 50 minutes.

Chris

I throughly enjoyed your presentation Chris,  It was informative and there were some wonderful photographs.  Thank you for sharing it here.

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

Good evening everyone :)

Got back from Lancaster yesterday.

Forgot the rail passes but was only planning to use them once, perhaps twice anyway.

Good time had by all.  A great week weather wise and a really nice "hall" that we stayed in.  Master TH had his first experience in a swimming pool.  First time was okay, the second we had one of those ring things with a seat.  His second experience of a beach - no doubt he's forgot the first.  But we did visit some really lovely parks.  Lancaster City doesn't seem that big but some nice architecture.  Blackpool was a little like another world from the "country" we stayed in.  While we're not racing to get back, we did visit twice - both fairly pleasant but very busy.

Impressed by Blackpool Zoo - the habitats are quite large and the range of animals was pretty good too.  We'll likely go back there at some point in the future.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Who else can find something the size of a small roll of PTFE tape (which they haven't used in the past 10 years) in less than 5 minutes in their garage? 

I am impressed, but I’m also impressed that you’ve gone 10 years without using PTFE tape! I’ve probably got through a couple of rolls in that time:

- garden hoses (front and back yards) uncoupled and brought in for the winter being connected again in spring. (I have stopped doing that!)

- same hoses and reels being replaced as they fail or in attempts to get the ‘ideal’ hose (light, flexible) for watering a fairly large garden.

- installing new taps in bathroom redos and in kitchen.

- reassembling piping under a bathroom sink after occasional blocks due to a significant horizontal run.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Slightly disappointed in that an item that runs on two parallel strips of metal on Ebay and I was the highest bidder suddenly went berserk in the last ten minutes and went to far much more than I was prepared to pay. 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Another disappointment, I had the two bonus numbers, 02 and 04 but only one of the other numbers so I might have a couple of quid to come. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the opening moves of World War One, the key requirement by the German Army was a rapid advance by train across Belgium into Northern France. This didn’t happen, and the full tale is full of railway interest, so here’s a chance to try out your French: 

https://www.chu.ulg.ac.be/upload/docs/application/pdf/2014-08/1418cheminotsv4.pdf

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Another disappointment, I had the two bonus numbers, 02 and 04 but only one of the other numbers so I might have a couple of quid to come. 

I didn't win anything; but then again I didn't buy a ticket :no:

However, ERNIE has been quite kind in giving me £75 this month. :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Regarding the opening moves of World War One, the key requirement by the German Army was a rapid advance by train across Belgium into Northern France. This didn’t happen, and the full tale is full of railway interest, so here’s a chance to try out your French: 

https://www.chu.ulg.ac.be/upload/docs/application/pdf/2014-08/1418cheminotsv4.pdf

Indeed, the main reason for that was that the Belgians successfully removed all but a few of their railway locomotives to the small area of the country that was not overrun by the Germans and to northern France and many of them were put to good use by the BEF.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning. Umm.....

Just one of those weekends.  Brunch out with Mrs NHN, a brew watching some of those 550v things go by, then archery.  We had a disturbed night so tiredness was ruining Mrs NHN's aim, but then she got stroppy with herself and had a great second part (we have a break) to make third from eight archers.  The winner made the course record of 400, conditions were just about perfect, warm but not too hot, sunny, a slight breeze, and he even almost smiled - miserable sort of bloke.

1440911510_20210606_1300111.jpg.7fbb48f6975b6cbc89451eeea04c5ee0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

9 hours ago, polybear said:

image.png.727b273fbab6a14f4572ebefe529e99f.png

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's too white therefore racist...:D

Alternatively, the first classes of astronauts were presented with a blank card after a series of Rorschach ink blot cards.

Pete Conrad's response was:

Believing the examinations to be degrading, he adopted a dismissive attitude to them. On being shown a blank card by psychologists, he stared briefly before telling them: “It’s upside down.”

Mike Collins had the more infamous response:

And the first time, I flunked. They assailed me with a whole series of inkblot tests. And I identified very carefully and properly this one, that one. We got down to the last one. It was a blank piece of paper. And I said, ‘Oh sure, that’s 11 polar bears fornicating in a snow bank.’ And, lo and behold, I was rejected.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Must've been a five hundred quid bit of kit when new, and looking increasingly like it'll be landfill fodder

If its a Video8 device and working Puppers has a need for such a device to transfer old family V8 tapes to something more useful before it's too late!

• Like 12

Watching golf in Ohio, I'm glad the Brood X Cicadas are confined well east of the Rockies. The background noise is deafening. I had the opportunity to see summer cicadas in 1987 (two generations ago for this brood). They are a remarkable phenomenon.

Meanwhile our weather roller coaster continues. We set record high temperatures (36°C) on Tuesday. Unlike the hot and stormy northeast, today it is barely 15°C here. (The seasonal norm is around 22°C.) Like yesterday rain is forecast, but so far, like yesterday, it is the merest suggestion of rain and the ground remains dry and drought conditions remain 'severe'.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 9