RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Do you come under EHDC?

No, Were under Havant, also forgot to say the Glass cant go in the general either, it has to go down the Road to a comunial bin, which is normally over flowing and across the pavement with bags full of bottles etc.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Bins -

Grey - Non recycled - Fortnightly

Black Box with red lid paper and card   same day as grey - different wagon                                                                

Green box with yellow lid x2 ) One for glass and tins, one for recyclable plastic same day as black - same wagon

Green - garden waste charged at £40 PER BIN - NOT PER HOUSEHOLD opposite week to grey and recycling.

Not as complicated as some, but we have three green bins from the time long gone when they were free - but we can't alternate them as they have an authorisation sticker which needs to be facing the bin men so they can see it.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 17

Good evening all

Some idiot here has been in the garden all afternoon. Not a lot of progress has been made 2 of the new boards have been screwed down some more old removed but its too blooming hot.

We have 4 bins 

Green general waste 

Brown recycling glass paper plastic etc (we have 2 we should only have one)

Brown for garden waste not charged for.

All emptied fortnightly household and garden bin one week recycling the next week

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Bins -

Black Wheelie Bin - Non recycled - Fortnightly

Green Wheelie Bin - garden waste charged at the best part of £40/Bin; collected once a fortnight (alternate weeks to black bin)

Two black boxes - one for paper & card; one for tins & plastic; collected the same week as the black wheelie bin  (There is a third black box for glass, but Bear has so little I don't use it - any jars etc. go into buddy's box or down to the bottle bank).  

There is a small brown box for food waste, though Bear has so little that I don't bother using this one - any skins, peelings etc. go in with the general waste.    All boxes are collected with the black wheelie bin.

In other news:

Bear spent the afternoon fitting the last remaining kitchen door handles - that's twenty done in total.  Pretty much the last remaining significant job associated with the actual installation of the kitchen units is the decorative cornice (do-able now) and the decorative pelmet (fitted after the wall tiling) for the wall unit cabinets.  I might start on the cornice tomorrow, but only until the temperature starts getting silly as Bear's garden is south facing. 

Buddy & SWMBO next door are off to their place in the south of France tomorrow, for 3 weeks; they're a bit p1ssed about maybe having to self isolate on their return - but that's the way the cookie crumbles....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Phew! Some work done early in the day, then time for imitating a hippo - not re cake but a wallow in a bath. A different lunch to originally planned, one which didn't require use of the oven...  F1 later in the pm. 

Three bins available round here, though our council has also been caught doing 'naughty' things with what's supposed to go to recycling. If we had a bigger garden I'd have a compost heap (or two!) but there isn't the space. Very often I dig in smaller green cuttings whenever there's changes in flowerbeds and some space available for a temporary hole. 

Time to head away from the computer, it's in a warm room. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Big blue bag - recycling - once a week. Free.

Big green bag - garden waste - once a fortnight. Free.

Small green bin - food waste - once a week. Free.

Black bags - non recyclable - once a fortnight. Free.

When I say free, I'm sure it is built into our council tax!

Edited by pgcroc
More info
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

The last transport company i worked for had a waste carriers licence as we used to move various waste or scrap products. 

They are white A4 paper from the Environment Agency (in England)

They will give the Licence number the haulers company name and address and the address of the EA office the Licence was issued. There will also be an expiry date.

If you do book a skip or waste collection you should be given part of a Waste Transfer Note these depending on the format of the form are usually in triplicate. You should be given the part for the producer of the waste. I would suggest filing that away just in case your rubbish ends up fly tipped. And not suggesting that dear reader that you would be a fly tipper dont leave your name and address on anything you dump. You wouldn't believe the evidence that I used to find in fly tipping i still have the photos on my phone .

The last 2 skips i got were midi skips and were £120 a pop these were on the driveway. There is an extra charge for siting a skip on the highway.

• Informative/Useful 15

And on the subject of rubbish, locally:

anything you like from bin liners to dedicated wheelie bins for general watse

Green Wheelie bin with blue lid for anything that could be recycled

Brown wheelie bins for garden compostables.

• Like 12

It is interesting how a post about how the change in bins in the past has morphed into everyone listing what bins they have.

So in line with what everyone else has posted here are our bins;

Grey - non recyclable rubbish, emptied every three weeks.

Blue - paper etc & emptied every two weeks.

Brown- plastics, glass & tins and emptied as per blue.

Grey/Pink lid- green waste emptied every week however it isn't as we don't put it out.

I cannot see this changing, unless some further item is discovered that can be recycled- teabags?.

• Like 12

The worst bit of my job at times was emptying litter bins especially those that had been dumped in some were so heavy the bag liners would rip then you had to spend ages using litter pickers to get it all out.

Dog bins were incredibly heavy when they were full of dog muck.

Sometimes the bins would provide a laugh with what we found. Once in Castleford town centre we found a bag of sex toys just dumped in a bin . The size of the packet of the Ass Servant butt plug we found made your eyes water although the empty tub of " cream" yes it was really called that may have helped

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Our collections are as follows:- 

Weekly collection.

Black sack, general waste (landfill).

Pink sack, recycling, even tetra-pack and microwavable containers.

Green wheelie bin. Garden waste and some vegetable food waste such as peelings.

Fortnightly collection.

Orange box. Glass bottles and jars.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Our local authority has won awards for its recycling so it was very embarrassing to see film of the distinctive pink bags being dumped into Malaysian landfill rather than the sorting service the council and residents thought was happening. 

Which happens a lot more than people realize. I've seen more than one documentary where the branded plastic bags from US box-marts are found in landfills in places like Indonesia.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

49 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

And not suggesting that dear reader that you would be a fly tipper dont leave your name and address on anything you dump.

Which reminds me of Alice's Restaurant:

Next morning, when we got a phone call from officer Obie. He said, "Kid,
We found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of
Garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said,

"Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

• Like 11

What a kaleidoscope of wheelie bins you all have.

I have three: 

1. Yard waste (usually green)
  2. Recycling - paper, metal, plastic
  3. Other rubbish (pricing is based on the size you select and living alone, I picked the smaller one)

Plus an open crate for glass recycling.

They are all collected weekly for a bimonthly fee slightly in excess of $50.

• Informative/Useful 12

Evening All,

Not a great deal done here today except faff about in the heat. A waste really as there’s plenty of business related work that  does need serious attention. 

I was going to do a bit of shed time after tea but I had a bit more to drink than usual and that sapped mojo so here I am on the patio reading various posts. Eyelids are getting heavy so goodnight, 

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

A business that went back to old-fashioned ways of customer service would make a killing.

Sadly no. All of them try to reduce cost. Even if they didn't, there being far more cost sensitive customers than those who will happily pay more for better service, more business goes to the cost cutters.

Even businesses that cater to a wealthier cross-section of people (like certain credit card providers) employ cost cutting (and worthless) telephone handling automation.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening. Been a manic couple of days.

30c on Peel prom this afternoon, and 28c here.  We went out in the kayak, lest we melted. First time for over a year so we're absolutely knackered now.  Had a nice chat with some visitors afterwards, who felt very safe here and will return again in a few weeks - if allowed!

I have never seen such temperatures here in the 19 years of domicile, although once when a visitor in the 80's it was this hot.

Bins - ha, we have one, wheelie, standard, brown, emptied once a fortnight.  There's a recycling centre in the village for glass, card and a rags/clothing thing.  We compost all the green waste in the garden.  The local tip recycles something like 70% of what they get 'given', and burnables go to the 'energy from waste' plant, i.e. an incinerator, but it provides enough electricity to power the rock overnight.

• Like 18

Just a reminder to those who whinge about not altering the clocks in March every year.....

This is what it would be like at quarter past eight in mid-July if you had your way - sunset. 

Which is why we don't do it. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

Just a reminder to those who whinge about not altering the clocks in March every year.....

This is what it would be like at quarter past eight in mid-July if you had your way - sunset. 

Which is why we don't do it. 

We'd prefer double summer time.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

We'd prefer double summer time.

Well yes, but it would have to be done twice, otherwise if you put the clocks forward by two hours in March it would be dark until well after 8am at the beginning of April. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Well yes, but it would have to be done twice, otherwise if you put the clocks forward by two hours in March it would be dark until well after 8am at the beginning of April. 

Ah, I meant summer time in winter, double summer time in....summer!  Basically moving everything forward one hour, all year.

• Like 9