The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, Mr. Washing Machine mentioned above

Hmm, do I know Mr Washing Machine Guy?   (Best be a pm to remind me methinks Mr Bear :lol:)

Alan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all 

I see a French heavyweight boxer has thrown his teddy out of the ring and staged a sit in on the ropes for a couple of hours. It appears he had been disqualified for giving his opponent a Glasgow kiss.

My mother in law was buried in the family plot the bill for opening it up using a mini digger was £600 11 years ago.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. TV has played up a bit but is now working, problem is I daren't switch it off so I've got 'Abandoned Engineering' on while I wait for 'Secrets of the London Underground' to come on.

7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

For an alternative view, read the Wilt novels by Tom Sharpe.

One of my favourite novelists but sadly no longer with us. If you like his books I would suggest the novels by Carl Hiaasen. The same sort of wacky characters and story lines.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

It is persisterating down.  

Dr. SWMBO has gone out for a walk.  I know she had to drop something around to a neighbour but couldn't it have waited?  

• Friendly/supportive 13

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Apparently Bear can drive his dishwasher from a mobile phone. 

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Bear is just showing off with the dishwasher ;) 

You should whack one of them into your Australia house. Then you could easily scare out troublesome tenants AND make a bit of extra cash running ghost tours.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Bear is just showing off with the dishwasher ;) 

Well he might!  In the hunt for the most quiet and reliable, we went for them all including the famed Bosch.  Everybody mentioned Bosch including my kia bil*.  But when it finally gave up we replaced it with a good old Yankee brand, Kitchenaid, after a lot of inspecting the local big orange store.  It had some features missing from the competition and it was also the most expensive.  Cars, I don't mind expensive, but dishwashers?

Having had it for a few years now, it has remained faultless, done its job while quieter even then the Bosch, which the salesman said it would be.

Brian.          kia bil*  know it all brother in law!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

As a comparison, one of Bear's young work buddies was not long out of Uni; he had a very good Mech. Engineering Degree (and also a second degree in some Astro Thingummy Wotsit - I didn't even understand the title, let alone what it was all about).

He spent a total of ONE DAY in a workshop as part of his entire Mech. Degree Course.  He'd never heard of a BA thread....

My brother-in-law is a very clever, and very practical, mechanical engineer. He complained that the only engine he saw in a four year degree course was mounted on a rig, polished to perfection and with inputs and outputs through hoses and piping - not very real-life. In contrast, he once spent the evening before a year end exam under the family car changing big-end shells (with his mother going hysterical about the need to study!)

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Kitchenaid, ...

Having had it for a few years now, it has remained faultless, done its job while quieter even then the Bosch, which the salesman said it would be.

I have a KitchenAid dishwasher as well. It is indeed very quiet. Cooking and cleaning for one, I rarely use it. (I tend to avoid complex dishes that require many pots to minimize the washing up.) All the kitchen appliances are KitchenAid. I like them.

Samsung has a series of television commercials for their "smart" connected appliances. While I don't really need the refrigerator offering me recipes based on what is in the 'fridge or ordering food for me (advertised features) having a washer and dryer signal my 'phone when they are done would be helpful. The laundry is upstairs and I cannot hear the 'ding' when they are finished.

One of their commercials features someone turning on the oven to preheat (using their 'phone) while purchasing a frozen pizza. Convenient, but I'm not sure I want the oven on when I am not home.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Clever Cookie though, make no mistake.

Met a few of those, clever bu$$£rs but ------- useless on anything practical.

On one job I was leading the trouble shooting team on the last shift of the commissioning before the trains were due to restart. There was a fault on an FDM remote control system causing absolute havoc and the bosses were in discussion as to what to do when there were no trains on the Monday morning. I was duly dispatched to chase up what was wrong and set off for the canal bank between Selly Oak and Bournville as I had decided from the symptoms and studying the drawings that this was the area where the fault most likely lay. It was 3am and freezing fog. I found the fault at the second location that I visited. The team responsible for the changeover had involved a section head from electronics at regional HQ. The new equipment had been cut into the circuit but one redundant wire had been reconnected rather than the new one. Having identified the fault I had to get onto base to get someone to bring out the correct crimp and tool and redo the wiring. I was out there for two hours with the temperature just about zero tracing and testing that it was now working correctly. The individual concerned got close to the top of the profession. We always said that the speed of promotion was inversely proportional to the ability to perform the job and he proved the point.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Met a few of those, clever bu$$£rs but ------- useless on anything practical.

A one time boss described such people as being like lighthouses in deserts - bright as you like but no effin use to anybody  :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5
  • Funny 14