RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

The thing that's changed since then is that there are now very few traffic police around actually looking out for dangerous driving and they rely just on cameras picking up speeding.

Some of the slower drivers are more dangerous. When I lost my  license the old lady across the road took me to the matches and frightened me to death. On one occasion I grabbed at the steering wheel. She was driving in the dark, on the wrong side of the road with a car coming in the opposite direction flashing its headlights.

My mum is in her early 80s and still driving. She’s coming up from Newark for the matches including the evening matches and I’m not happy about it. She’s very stubborn.

Robert 

Edited by Erichill16
Add information
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Good afternoon Awl; it may yet turn out thus!

Shopping shopped; came back via a different route (traffic on the A27 solid, bumper to bumper!) 'for a change'; surprised how many new housing developments are springing up.

Elsewhere:

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

The current one [car] has done barely 7,000 miles in two years because for most of that time I have had nowhere to go thanks to that ruddy virus. 

Whereas mine doesn't know what's hit it ("thanks to that ruddy virus")! 57 reg (second half 2007), 2018 MoT = 43338 miles, 2019 MoT = 44021 miles, 2020 MoT = 46563 miles and now just about to break through the 50000 miles based on a daily use of less than 20 miles!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from somewhere  east of Leeds and north of the Aire, just.  Felt a bit carp yesterday. Probably picked up a cold from young Emily. She has now been diagnosed with chicken pox but us coming round.  A good day was had onnFriday visiting Hipposhire but the less said about the traffic the better.  

Friday wvening No 1 son and Katie arrived on the new Ducatti, then on Saturday morning set off for the Lake District for a weekend camping.

The Final day 8 test has been done and posted. Test and Tracd rang me whilstvIbwas in a traffic jam at the M56 A556 junction.on Friday.  

Not a lot else to report appart from the fact that I'm going to get my breakfast.

Jamie

Jamie word of caution about the chickenpox, particularly if you've already had it when younger. It can cause shingles if caught again which is not something to be taken lightly.

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

Do you remember when AA or RAC patrolmen on motorbikes would salute cars displaying appropriate badges, and if they didn't salute, then it usually meant some police activity like a speed trap up ahead?

I certainly do.  But this was for patrolmen (always men at that time) driving vans or cars.  If they failed to salute the badge you could claim an apology.  There was also a note in the Member's Handbook which stated that solo riders do not salute at any time.  Those were the days when even the busier roads would see decent gaps between approaching vehicles and the patrolmen had a chance to see the badge displayed on an oncoming vehicle.  Not today.  Half the time you are lucky to even get a clear view of the front number plate because the vehicle is so (too) close to the one in front.  Perhaps a case for 

6 hours ago, pH said:

two hands held up, palms facing, close together = on a close interval service. you're getting close to your 'leader'

;)

Welcome to Sunday.  So far living up to its name intermittently and with a reasonable number of Celsius degrees on offer.  A brief visit was made to a g****n c****e farther from home than normal.  Dr. SWMBO sought plants not in stock locally and hoped they might also be cheaper.  She met with a little success but not as much as would have justified the trip.  I am now required to dig holes for things to be inserted into soil.  I wonder what will happen if I ask her to return the favour and strip wires for me before I insert them into choc-block joiners :jester:

One item of note.  And one question.  What is the opposite of "c0ckwomble"?  Our trip required use of a residential road which has cars parked along both sides leaving just a single lane for two-way traffic down the middle and over the skateboard launching ramps speed bumps.  As we turned in a large car was already halfway along the road taking all the available space and I therefore pulled in tight to the left, stopped and indicated right.  I promptly received a flash of the other car's headlights as it stopped and pulled in.  As we passed I noted it was a shiny black BMW no more than six months old going by its registration.  Driven by a large quite young bearded cigar-smoking male.  If there are stereotypes then this was one.  Yet he pulled in despite having right of way and allowed me through in a humble Vauxhall Corsa.  Thank you sir.  

Enjoy the day.  Seize the fish.  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, southern42 said:

lot of work to do on the TV Judge theme: I still mess up on the E flat -

Polly, as a guitarist, I fully sympathise, Eb is just about the hardest key for me, and on a woodwind, it can be hard too - the half covering is difficult.  In order to drive in the "importance" of Eb my late father who was a professional musician, composer, and teacher, as well as a band musician, insisted that I learn various pieces in Eb including "Moonlight In Vermont" - which was a most wicked piece to learn, and I was not allowed a capo - it all had to be closed chords - my reward for this was to be an unpaid band member who also had to take over the driving to and from gigs.  That meant he could get totally legless legally - and the lifestyle killed him aged 62.

This rendition really takes me back there

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I am now required to dig holes for things to be inserted into soil.  I wonder what will happen if I ask her to return the favour and strip wires for me before I insert them into choc-block joiners :jester:

Work on the adage that there's no harm in asking! However, be prepared for swift evasion procedures or, possibly, the clearing up of a nasty mess if not fast enough once asked! :jester:

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Clear Prop!

9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Yet he pulled in despite having right of way and allowed me through in a humble Vauxhall Corsa.

In my VHO "politeness" has absolutely no place on the roads because it effectively produces ad-hoc changes to the rules of the road that other users have no knowledge of.      If only people would stick rigorously to the rules (there there for a reason ....) then there is no, well far reduced, scope for confusion by all concerned and, if the worst should happen, a clearly defined responsibility.   Another soap box to climb off .... :rolleyes:

In other news:

A very pleasant run to Jordan's Mill this morning on the little Beeza where a "Miller's Breakfast" may have been consumed.  Only one notifiable incident on the road this morning as a stupid women (I'm not being sexiest or stupidest with that statement; as the driver was a women and it was a stupid trick) as I went round a roundabout and the vehicle that should have slowed and given way to me decided to apply the "French" system of roundabout priority - shame we are not in France then.      I won't say what make of vehicle was being driven but, if I mention that it wouldn't of looked out of place with a very large elevating gun stuck out the front it might give you a bit of a clue. 

Anyway, I couldn't help noticing a Fokker DR1 and SE5A (replicas) sitting on the airfield at Old Warden as we chugged past and thinking how nice it would have been just to pull in, take a look and then grab breakfast there.   Oh well, their financial loss and Jordan's Mill's gain ...

IMG_3789.JPG.efeb62bd485cf609e6cdbacb39cc8e71.JPG

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Alan

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PupCam said:

shame we are not in France then.

Have you been recently? For quite a long time in France the roundabouts have signs telling the approaching traffic they don’t have priority. I am sure there may be some unsigned ones somewhere but not where I have been. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

I was so tired after repairing the shed roof yesterday I just dumped all  the tools in the garage. It has taken all morning to clean the shed out properly, put all the garden equipment back in and put the tools away properly. 
I have been told to sit in the garden and take it easy this afternoon. It is very pleasant here now, sunny but with a slight breeze. As usual it is very quiet here, just the sound of an ice cream van a few streets away (getting closer) and some sort of agricultural mower I think on some nearby fields. 
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Have you been recently? For quite a long time in France the roundabouts have signs telling the approaching traffic they don’t have priority. I am sure there may be some unsigned ones somewhere but not where I have been. 

To be fair Tony no I haven't recently.   

Although I don't make a habit of keeping up-to-date with the rules and regulations of the countries I no longer visit.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Found on one of my Faceache groups .... 

The 146, the development of which Puppers played a very, very, very, very small part in, is (well to be accurate  mainly was) a tough old bird !  

I wonder if that exceeded the load cases they applied during development?

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

To be fair Tony no I haven't recently.   

Although I don't make a habit of keeping up-to-date with the rules and regulations of the countries I no longer visit.

Yes roundabouts and most junctions now have proper priority signs and or markings, though there are a few rural roads where the old 'give way to the right' system still applies, many of those, but not all have a red and white pillar in one or more angle.  However none of these seem to apply to old farmers who have lost their licences who drive the VSP's  (voiture sans permit) or membets of the chasse in little white vans in the afternoon after a long lunch.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Jamie word of caution about the chickenpox, particularly if you've already had it when younger. It can cause shingles if caught again which is not something to be taken lightly.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  I was aware of that. As I've had both of them.  Not a lot we can do at the moment.  However  it may not be Chicken pox as the spots don't seem to be blistering.  

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Some help please?

If you are building  and extension on your home should you mortar the bricks and blocks together? Seems the "builder" next door only sloshes it on between layers.. but not on the edges(!)  Have I missed something here?? (Oh yes the odd visit by Buildings Control :jester:)

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl.

Last time I was at London city airport, it wasn't there, it hadn't been built, I was putting out a flour mill, there wasn't a lot left, there had been  a fire/ explosion. If that aircraft had overshot just a few yards, it would have piled into the site.

Afternoon Awl ,

Two of the inherited shelving units are now flying... That is they are attached to the panels forming the new landing bannister. Flying because they are about 4.5 inches ( other measurement systems are available) above the floor.  Next week I'll cut and fit some bits beneath to support them when loaded. 

I gave up because, left knee and back were seriously complaining about alternating between lying down, kneeling in a confined space,  going up and down stairs including reaching to screw screws.

Also next week some shelving needs to be careful made, the two units installed start at the newel post, going along the landing, leaving about 18inches to the wall of the computer cupboard room . Over that 18inch distance the shelf needs to narrow from 9.5 in to 6 in,  to the door architrave.

After a suitable break , pink pills and a muggacoffee , Ben took me for his long walk. I must admit I struggled on the walk with knee and back and was very tired. Lots of different types of flutterbys on the walk, in one area we were surrounded by about 20 or 30 of them fluttering about. They appeared to be a dark coloured red admiral..

A long soak in the bath has eased my back but not my knee.

I remember seeing the estate being built next door to where my parents, the houses were of breeze block plastered over. They needed the plaster because there was just a single splodge of mortar from a trowel between each.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Found on one of my Faceache groups .... 

The 146, the development of which Puppers played a very, very, very, very small part in, is (well to be accurate  mainly was) a tough old bird !  

I wonder if that exceeded the load cases they applied during development?

Bear has been on an Aircraft landing at LCY in such a manner - not sure if it was a 146 though.  We came in at about 45 degrees to the runway, and the Pilot managed to kick it straight just a few seconds before touchdown.  Worried? Moi? I was too busy thinking about water on three sides and a brick wall at the far end ......

The guy in the seat opposite had more to worry about though, namely his wife's nails buried in his forearm down to the bone...

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks Ian.  I was aware of that. As I've had both of them.  Not a lot we can do at the moment.  However  it may not be Chicken pox as the spots don't seem to be blistering.  

Jamie

I had the misfortune to catch off my father who inturn had caught from a child who was at a party he was at. Unfortunately my father was quite poorly with it.

If the spots have emerged then she shouldn't be infectious so you should be okay. But no more shoulder rides for the moment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has been on an Aircraft landing at LCY

Our last landing at LCY only had two engines but it was ok. Reverse thrust at Southend sometimes seemed a bit noticeable, possibly last arrival of the day and the pilot wanted to get to the terminal quickly.

• Like 15

Evening all,

By way of a treat for my youngest we did a "stadium tour" on the way home.

I suspect the following image may be of more interest to you all, though; the platform on the right may see a train on match days, I guess.

20210815_131233.jpg.86034151fe3535decffb66100e8c3544.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Oooh, I know that line very well, I use it when ever I travel into Manchester and I have a choice of 2 stations very close to my house. But I can't remember when the last 'match' train ever stopped at Old Trafford though. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2