RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I notice those idiots have been gluing their hands to roads again. The congestion they are causing creates more pollution d'oh.

The old bill seem to be letting them get away with it. If it were up to me road rollers would be trundled up to them they either unstick themselves right quick or squish.

Now where's an Eddie Stobart with brake failure when you need one?

image.png.68fc70ae0b141db3b2a16d7444e9afde.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Nahh , just hose the road down with very cold water .

As much as it would be satisfying to all those motorists held up by their folly, such remarks are not exactly practical nor useful.  Only a few years ago protesters, think votes for women variety; were thrown unceremoniously in jail and feeding tubes stuck  up their noses or down their throats, a far worse fate and apparently legal.  Protesting such as this is never OK as who knows who's in the back up; an ambulance, a mother on the way to the delivery room, people who don't need such nonsense to delay them at times like these. 

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Evening Awl following (although it could hardly proceed) what has been an interesting and successful day!)

Elsewhere:

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It seems that @iL Dottore's alter ego, Captain Cynical is required. A supervillain has appeared on a thread known as 'The Night Mail'.

As DH is a fellow ER something must be done.

So will the perpetrator of that post on the thread known as 'The Night Mail', also an ER, be hauled before the Captain Cynical Court of Enquiry to explain said villainy against a fellow ER and face (suitably devious) disciplinary proceedings?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

2.    Italian Cuisine is fiercely regional and asking for another region’s speciality in the place you are visiting marks you out as un straniero ignorante! :O Can you match region and dish? (extra points if you can explain what each dish is)

a)    Bagna càuda.

Piedmont - a hot dish and dipping sauce made from olive oil, garlic and anchovies.  Looks like vom...

b)    Bruschetta alla salsiccia di fegato.

That'll be Abruzzo - basically liver sausage on grilled bread.  Rather have chopped tommies with a hint of garlic....

c)    Castagnaccio.

Tuscany - chestnut cake.  (You call THAT cake??)

d)    L’Arancino.

Sicily - deep fried rice balls.  Various options available - meat, cheese, mushrooms....

e)    Pasta alla Norcina.

Umbria - there's a town called Norcina.  Basically Pasta with sossie & cream sauce.  Could have potential, that one...

f)     Risi e Bisi.

Veneto - thick soup with rice n' peas n' pancetta (though CC may frown upon the latter?)

g)    Schlutzkrapfen.

Trentino-Alto Adige - basically half moon shaped ravioli (Mezzelune).  Looks pretty ok to this Bear.

h)    Tagliatelle al ragù.

Emilia Romagna - flat pasta ribbons with a meat sauce.  Wrongly known as Spag Bol to most....

6.    One for the  @polybear. Match the cake to its origin (extra points for a description)

I.     Amygdalopita

Greek Almond Cake

II.     Batik cake

Malaysian cakey desserty thinggy.  Stand aside - Bear inbound.....

III.     Dobos cake

Hungarian sponge cake with oodles of choccy buttercream and caramel on top.  Bring it on....:maninlove:

IV.      Fragelité

Danish cake (Pastry?)  Looks ok until some Bozo decided coffee buttercream :bad: was a good idea....

V.      Kliņģeris

Latvian Pretzel.....

VI       Princess cake

Swedish sponge layer cake covered in marzipan.  If only there wasn't a bucket load of cream inside. :sad_mini:

10.  Captain Cynical was pleased with your work as a trainee minion (see Question 9) and will treat you to lunch in a Michelin Starred Restaurant anywhere in the world. However, Captain Cynical has set an upper limit of £10 for lunch. Where would you go for your Michelin starred meal (restaurant and country?

A Tenner?  Big spender....I hope that's a tenner each....

Well it appears that to stand any chance of meeting that requirement it'd be asian or far eastern food.  So if CC's feelin' a bit strapped then I'll bung in three quid and go to Al's Place in SF instead....

:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Tolkien revised LoTR to remove a reference to eating tomatoes (IIRC the meal that Frodo and Sam have when they catch a rabbit before Faramir catches them) because it was the Old World; it appears in the first edition but not the second. I think it does in the film. I suspect ozexpatriate will know!

That's quite fascinating. I don't possess a first edition and wouldn't know. Unsurprising that such a detail was important to him, though there's no reason such a plant couldn't have been introduced to Gondor from Far Harad or traders out of Umbar. ;)

The scene "The Two Towers: (4) Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" is one of great comic relief (in both reading the book and the film) in terms of the interaction between Sam and Sméagol/Gollum. It is Sméagol that brings the hobbits rabbits he has caught.

The film is pretty faithful to the original, though the dialogue is different in detail but not in tone. Sméagol says "silly hobbit" in the book, rather than "stupid fat hobbit" in the film. It ends with Sméagol's take on Sam's description of fish and chips "(you) keep nassty chips!".

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've remembered the book and the authors.

The authors unsuccessfully sued Dan Brown claiming that his book 'The Da Vinci Code' plagiarised their book. Now if Dan Brown had had Nero eating a tomato that would have clinched it.

That made me smile. I'm not surprised at their lack of historical coherence. It demonstrates the quality of their "research".

The book was a topic of discussion one lunch time at the University staff room in 1985, during the year I worked as a 'tutor' / 'lecturer's assistant'.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I suspect tiger pies are Australian in origin.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You can buy them at Wooloomooloo.

Never 'erd of 'em. Had to look it up:

Harry's Cafe de Wheels is an iconic pie cart located on Cowper Wharf Road in Woolloomooloo, Sydney, Australia, near the Finger Wharf and Fleet Base East.

They are best known for their dish "Tiger Pie", an Australian meat pie topped with mashed potato, mushy peas and gravy; it was named after the pie cart's founder Harry "Tiger" Edwards.

Sounds like something my dad might like. He's a big fan of mushy peas.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's quite fascinating. I don't possess a first edition and wouldn't know. Unsurprising that such a detail was important to him, though there's no reason such a plant couldn't have been introduced to Gondor from Far Harad or traders out of Umbar. ;)

The scene "The Two Towers: (4) Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" is one of great comic relief (in both reading the book and the film) in terms of the interaction between Sam and Sméagol/Gollum. It is Sméagol that brings the hobbits rabbits he has caught.

The film is pretty faithful to the original, though the dialogue is different in detail but not in tone. Sméagol says "silly hobbit" in the book, rather than "stupid fat hobbit" in the film. It ends with Sméagol's take on Sam's description of fish and chips "(you) keep nassty chips!".

If you can have spuds then there is no objection to tomatoes, they have the same origins

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

If you can have spuds then there is no objection to tomatoes, they have the same origins

Obviously brought to Middle Earth from some unnamed continent by Black Númenóreans operating out of Umbar, at least before 1601 in the Third Age when hobbits settle in the Shire! ;)

• Like 8

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

There is only one competition worth any thing today...

https://www.britishpieawards.co.uk/

Very interesting.

There is a class for ‘free from’ which allows for ‘gluten free’ (less than 20ppm)  and ‘very low gluten’ (less than 100ppm). Never seen anything marked up in this country as ‘very low gluten’ . I’ve just checked on CoeliacUK website and they say there are no products marketed as ‘very low gluten’.

Some other interesting categories as well including ‘pub’ and ‘sports’ pies.
Robert  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Now I have a shiny new hand rail fitted to the stairs. Its stainless steel not aluminium as I first thought but I can now feel a lot more confident using the stairs with my dodgy legs. The builder also removed the old lock from the door to the brick shed. Its always been a worry to me as if the door slammed shut there was no handle inside to open the door. All I now have to do is fit the spring catch to the door. At present it is being held shut by a piece of windscreen wiper pushed in between the door and the frame. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I didn’t spend long at Vickie’s, a few checks were made on the shower and I was soon able to confirm to Vickie that the shower is definitely faulty. But, as they are just about to start moving their bathroom into what was originally the bathroom, it is currently in what should be a bedroom, they were going to get a new one anyway. They went looking for a new one yesterday, but were unsure of what size (wattage) and as there are so many to choose from, they decided to leave it. Anyway, as I had the cover off, I was able to confirm that by reading the rating of the faulty one is, by looking at data plate on the heater tank/element. 

Once back home, I decided to do a bit more work on the engine shed, more interior and exterior wall sections were cut out and built, making 16 out of 24 done. The 16 finished sections have now been varnished and 2 sections have had windows fitted and are now completely finished, they have also been joined together. 

• Like 16