RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

'twas good to see you @grandadbob  et al.

As you may have spotted my purchase is already installed on the l**out, inspite of Mike's assertion there was no  "traditional" place for it. Lol. See you in Feb, and maybe you can swing past on your way there or back.

And I'm hoping you will visit The POD at some point quite soon. :good:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. In readiness for todays trip I topped up the tank of the car 'just in case' panic buying started again. The previous two fills were E10 and the car started running poorly and using more fuel. So when I topped up I did so with premium unleaded (about a third of a tank). The improvement was almost immediately noticeable as well as the improvement in fuel consumption.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And great it was to, to meet yourself, Mike @The Stationmaster most charming  Daughter, the @station cat and Andy @AndyB.

A great day and I owe some people some Coffees next time.

Glad that you had a good day.  Other things took over but realised too late that although over an hour away this would now have been in striking distance and would probably have been a really positive influence especially since faces could have been put to ERs.  SWMBO has unpacked a lot but trying to fit into less space is proving to be quite a task as lots of boxes need to go outside so that things can be put into places where they can then be used. Unfortunately the reason we are here is taking place so the additional 'free' help is elsewhere - however we once again have GD staying with us while that is the case.  Hopefully this week power will be installed in the garage and that will help. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After I’d finished my mid morning muggertea, I turned my attention to the back garden and cleared away the fallen leaves, had I used the wheelbarrow, I would probably filled it quite easily. Instead I used my green bag, which will hold about a third of a wheelbarrow and is a lot easier to empty into the leaf mould bin, which is now about a quarter full. 

After dinner, I spent an hour in the workshop, making some roof support beams for the engine shed. I made 4, each one 700mm long, I just need to make another 2 then I think that’ll do. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Talk over lunch turned to petrol prices among other things and I admitted that I never know the cost of petrol and as long as it's under £50 when I fill up I'm happy. 

Yeah I just stick in $50, have no idea what the price is other than if its exxy I get in and  out there quicker.

Was a pain at the start of the pandemic when petrol prices went down, took ages to put in $50. ITs much quicker now which is great  - , lifes too short. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Evening All,

Thoughts for Ian and his mother .

Not a bad day up here weather wise. Bit of time in the garden and then some paperwork.

Still suffering from an eye infection I acquired early last week and is something I get on a semi regular basis.My eye looks ok now but I’ve got a swelling below it which is a bit tender and something I’ve not noticed before. A phone call to the docs may be in order tomorrow………..

As for the week ahead, it looks like it could be a busy one.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Maybe it happened like this..

There's a strong connection between James Cook and Aquidneck Island. The remains of the sailing vessel Lord Sandwich (formerly HMB Endeavour) is believed to be one of five wrecks, scuttled in Newport harbor in advance of the appearance of a French fleet off Newport in 1778 as part of the Battle of Rhode Island. The location is immediately off the southwest part of Aquidneck (aka Rhode) Island.

In the end, the French fleet was dispersed by a storm, (at the same time of year and in the same area as this year's Hurricane Henri) and the French Admiral (Charles Hector, comte d'Estaing) withdrew his ships to Boston.

Cook's written "New South Wales" proclamation actually took place at Possession Island* in the Torres Strait, which I don't expect has much in the way of white cliffs. ;)

* Prosaically named as such by Cook, since this is where he "took possession" of the east coast for HM George III Rex.

I did find this curiosity courtesy of Wikipedia:

This name [New South Wales] was already applied to the south west coast of Hudson Bay, Canada, which had been called New South Wales after his native land, by the Welshman Thomas James on 20 August 1631, during a voyage of discovery in search of a Northwest Passage into the South Sea. It was 139 years later that James Cook gave the same name, without explanation, to the east coast of New Holland.

And 18th century British charts still referred to the continent as "New Holland".

Also Columbus Day is tomorrow. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

This caught my eye the other day.

My first thought was "Those aren't beavers - they're dogs!"

image.png.6b7d3f11908c3b4fc34848161c563865.png

By way of explanation, "BEAVERS" are the Oregon State University sports mascot (and this year the football team is having a good year so far). The Oregon state flag is unique in that the reverse of the flag is different from the obverse and is, in heraldic terms,: "azure, a beaver couchant or". - GO BEAVS!

The dogs intently focused on the driver of the truck who entered the store (to the left) before I did. I followed the driver into the store and on exiting, took this photograph before he came out of the store. The dogs never changed their attention to the door for an instant.

The eagle eyed may spot the USPS Grumman LLV vehicle in the background. (It was time to collect the mail from the blue mail box in front of the store.)

While I am happy to share this here in the spirit of ERs, in fairness to the driver and his dogs, I retain copyright to this image and request that this photo not be reproduced/reposted without permission.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

After dinner, I spent an hour in the workshop, making some roof support beams for the engine shed. I made 4, each one 700mm long, I just need to make another 2 then I think that’ll do. 

Sounds like it's gonna be a big shed - full of things that live in big sheds....:smile_mini2:

In other news:

Service & MoT day, involving the despatch of numerous LDC tokens on, well, not LDC.  Turdycurses.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

6 hours solid sleep and then... I awoke feeling like every joint was in pain.. Took a good time to find a comfortable position doze off again , then of course I awoke late.  But not too late, by this time joints had eased..

Ben the I don't like the dark Collie didn't even come down the hallway with me, He stuck his head out of the living room doorway, and just watched as I exited ...

Traffic fairly busy this Morning.

Just awaiting this weeks major system, shouldn't be long it was nearly finished.

Time to go and see if it has finished..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. It's cool but bright and looks to be getting sunny.  A builder is due to arrive shortly to lay thecbase for the new pool shed. I strimmed and tidied the area yesterday.

TTFN.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit nippy this morning, then I remembered that I turned the thermostat down yesterday when I went out for the day and forgot to turn it up again, now rectified. Now to get on with the rest of the day, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

The diary tells me that I should be at a show in Uckfield on Saturday.  If this is to come to pass I need to spend some time on the interweb researching railway timetables, for even on the Southern a train journey can be much more relaxing than driving.

Doesn't look too difficult, and only one change, Chris, so I'd agree with using the train - the fare seems a bit eye watering, but with petrol being so expensive 2  hours and twenty minutes on a good day with the M25 as part of the journey,  or 2 hours 47 by train, with a single change at East Croydon, and a possible petrol cost of around £30, and a train fare at £47 (have you got a railcard - if so, no contest) - I'd take the less stress option every time.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1