The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

When i worked in transport we were often given bottles of spirits, my employer also gave us a bottle of Grouse and a box of choccies.  I used to save a bottle for my dad's xmas present I would also exchange him whisky for demerera rum. Gin would be kept till the following year to give to the Ful of a friend of his for Sloe gin production.

It's dried up here but its mild out of the wind showing 19° in the car

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

Today due to rain stopping play I have had to do a couple of pottering type jobs as well as a bit of vacuuming ironing and bed making.

Mainly this involved using a few spots of Gripfil no nails on a bit of uppity carpet at the top of the first flight of stairs where it meets the laminate flooring of the hallway it kept falling away from the plate at the edge I had tried staples and carpet tacks to no avail.  The carpet needs replacing ideally because it is fraying on the edges on the stairs. I want to wait till we have the bathroom replaced so as not to ruin a brand new carpet

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

My Dad used to get given whisky and gin every year by his contacts in the travel industry. They sat in our sideboard at home, barely touched until I was a teenager, when I took to helping myself when my parents were out. They eventually noticed one Christmas when my Dad thought he would have some drambuie. That had gone too!

Bear recalls one of his work buddies doing some work at a sub-contractor's (who were responsible for the manufacture and supply of various bits of ground handling equipment to the Armed Forces); it was a few days before Chrimbo and a certain Project Manageress was also down there doing what P.M's do (I'll let you fill that bit in...:laugh:).  Buddy did note that said PM was also getting the boot of her car loaded up with a Hamper plus lots of Booze by the subbie....:angry:

In other news....

The windscreen on the Bearmobile is now fixed :yahoo:- hopefully (such repairs can never be guaranteed).

I'm also planning to reverse the door on a cabinet in the Conservatory which houses Bear's TV etc. equipment; it's hinged on the wrong side for the location it's in and would work much better if it opened the other way.  Unfortunately the manufacturer didn't cater for such changes so Bear will have to drill a couple of 25mm blind holes on the other side to suit the cabinet hinges.  Does Bear have a Forstner bit to do this?  Of course not :sad_mini: - so hopefully one will arrive from S.America in the next day or so...

I've also noticed a distinct lack of milk, so it looks like a Co-op run is on the cards for this afternoon.  Deep joy.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Whilst I was off sick pre my early retirement one of the guys who interviewed me for the council job killed himself. He had recently been moved from Normanton depot to South Kirkby the bin men there are extremely militant. 

I truly do not know which rating to give that comment.  Supportive, Agree and Funny all come to mind but at least two might be disingenuous.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

Afternoon all

My thoughts also with Ref44

Last week I went to the funeral of the son of some old friends. I don't want to say any more but they are, undestandably, utterly devastated and it really does seem that he had a lot to live for and lot more to give. 

Very little rain here so far, in fact the sun has got his hat on and it's warm  but it is windy and Northolt is forecasting gusts to 36 knots this afternoon. Heathrow, which has a longer forecast period, also has a strong wind warning and is predicting more of the same tomorrow morning. There are severe weather warnings of thunderstorms for Southern England overnight.  which, with a cold front meeting the current warm air is not suprising. There is a curious anomaly in that the BBC now gets its forecasts from a commercial company MeteoGroup (after it was forced to put the contract that it had always had with the Met Office out to tender) but the attached sever weather warnings still come from the Met Office. 

There is something rather illogical about an organisation funded by a tax being forced (by the Government) to transfer some of those funds from the Met Office , which is also funded by our taxes, to a private foreign company (and therefore out of the UK economy). However, if you have the same sort of unquestioning quasi-religious belief in the "Free Market" that Soviet Communist Party Officials used to have in the Five Year Plan, rather than seeing the market as a useful tool but not without its limitations, I suppose that sort of thing makes perfect sense- even if it weakens the Met Office. 

It's a bit like knowing, in this part of London, that any profits made by the operator of many of our local buses (RATP Group) will go towards helping the good citizens of Paris to have better public transport or, far worse, that one of the reasons why Royal Mail switched away from using trains to HGVs was that it had to pay VAT on the services provided by the freight TOCs thus adding 20% to their relative costs compared with RM's own trucks. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Apologies for absence, and also the most supportive of thoughts to Ref44 and Winslow Boy, generic greetings to everbody else.

I have finally managed to get our equity release provider to contact us (after three weeks of trying, and waiting, and trying) and have got a face to face (well video) appointment for two weeks hence  that's FIVE weeks after our offer on the property that we're buying - and that's them just got the ball rolling - now looking like mid December for the move, all things being equal.

It has casued a lot of stress over the weeks between 30747 and I, but as there is no chain, and provided our buyer and vendor don't get tired, all should be OK. 

Not a lot else to report.

This is beautiful, it really is, and it popped into my inbox this morning - two of my YouTube faves together - Alison Young, and Josh Turner - and this version even knocks Barbara DIckson's rendition (which up til now didn't have a lot to beat it) out of the park.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

When i worked in transport we were often given bottles of spirits, my employer also gave us a bottle of Grouse and a box of choccies. 

The best Bear (and Puppers) saw at Chrimbo each year from the (multi-million £) Great Empire was a cheap bottle of wine (think two quid in Tesco's here) plus a box of a few choccies from some bunch you'd never heard of.  Oh yes, and a free "chrimbo" din dins in the canteen, sorry restaurant.  Incidentally, Bear's Boss (note to Puppers: that'll be Marsh) went one year; whilst in the Q and being spooned various items of dubious parentage onto his plate he received (despite requests otherwise) a dollop of Sprouts (Marsh doesn't "do" sprouts).  Marsh politely pointed out the serving guy's error - who promptly grabbed the plate back and dragged the sprouts off with his bare hand back into the tray, ready for dishing out to someone else.  At which point Marsh disappeared out the door.  He was never keen on attending after that, strangely....:laugh:

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The van was operated by Knowles Bakery of Broadwater Street West, Worthing.  Three of their own-brands were The Knick-Knack Loaf and (wait for it ..... ) The Paddy Whack Loaf along with a long-tin one called ..... errrr ..... Long Tom.  The Paddy Whack Loaf was de-branded but remained in their range following protests about perceived association with persons of Irish descent.  What I can't do is locate the view but it appears to be in the Western Road area of South Lancing perhaps Thirlmere Crescent or Ullswater Road although there are many other similar scenes around Worthing and district.  

Many, many thanks Gwiwer - there's much info there that I was unaware of.

As for location, that's an easy one for this Bear - it's Cuckfield Crescent, Worthing (just a stone's throw from an area known as "The Selden" and the John Selden Pub); an easy one for me since it's directly outside Grandpa Bear's house (that's the lounge window in front of the cab) and that's him in the photo.  There's a good chance that when on holiday I and my brother may well have travelled with him on his rounds in this very vehicle when very young, but sadly I have very little memory of it.

I'm 99% sure the bakery was actually on Broadwater St. East (just off "West"); there's no sign of the Miller's Arms in that street now using Google Maps streetview - it's possible it's still there but has been re-named, or is no longer a Pub?

As you say, sadly the Bakery is long gone :sad_mini: - apparently it dated from 1817.

Are (or were) you a local by any chance?

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Their vans were either red or green and memory now eludes me as to which carried each branding but one was for Knick Knack (a white loaf) and the other for Paddy Whack (which was brown).  

I'll ask my Aunt; I'd be very interested to know in case I do construct a model of the lorry (I've made enquires regarding those that were advertised in MRJ some months ago but have yet to receive a definitive answer) - the transfers could be an issue however...

In other news:

Do any ER'ers happen to have, or know of anyone with one of these heat pump thingummybobs that are all over the news at present?  Are they any good?  In any event, this Bear is rather happy with his Baxi Bermuda back boiler thanks very much - and long may it last.  Though I could be tempted to a new boiler to be installed on Dec 31st 2034....:laugh:

Bear's Surprise (to me) of the Day:

I never knew that Cathy Brown (in Mrs. Brown's Boys) is actually Mrs. Brown's wife in real life....

And finally:

Talk about being sh1t on from a great height:

:rofl:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-58968692

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1