RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

My data comes from the same source as yours (worldindata) and does compare apples with apples. The difference is that mine  has the first dose figures included which show that 73% of both the UK and aus have had at least one dose, so will presumably go on to get the second one.

Our vaccine programme was in disarray until early September, hence the greater percentage here still waiting for the time to pass until they can get their second stabbing. 

Speaking of things going up in value which was  mentioned earlier, something to do with guitars or whatever...

Not sure how it copes with the 12-15 year olds who are only going to get 1 jab (bony sure about 16-17 year olds). They will be fully jabbed but won’t have had a second dose. Younger Lurker gets his on Wednesday, medically supervised at St Thomas’s (due to his peanut allergy, the advice is to have medical supervision, although we are not expecting any adverse reaction).

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and now Amazon will REALLY let me annoy the neighbours with this offer ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/10/25/plan-b-not-at-this-point/

Strangling cats.. Great to annoy neighbours with..her indoors plays the shawm occasionally..just as good.

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks for the tip, pH. A friend of ours grows them on her allotment but doesn't eat them herself so she gives them to us. We're knee deep in the damned things!

Dave

Can also be used as a soup base. We tend to freeze some of it for winter use.

Plenty of recipes online like this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/italianstylezucchini_9833

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Hmmm......perhaps Bear should try such a creation after all - purely in the interests of being totally unbiased you understand...:laugh:

I would offer you a slice of courgette cake but alas it does not travel well if unaccompanied. The alternative is that final assembly is performed on site by a technician accredited by the maker. Unfortunately l will be unable to perform either service before the last one of the season has been consumed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

Good Evening Awl,

An interesting read has been had today, with two differing views of the same subject from opposite sides.

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You have indeed been lucky. From many of the experiences posted on ER, others seem not to have been so lucky with their GP.

All my friends and acquaintances who have worked in the NHS in different roles and who have moved to Europe or the US to work as clinicians or to work in the medical industries all say the same things: The frontline of the NHS (Doctors, Nurses, Technicians) is usually pretty good, The rest of the NHS? Overly bureaucratic, inefficient and in places downright incompetent.

One of my ex-NHS friends was telling me last Saturday that during his surgical rotation he and fellow students were to participate in a 7:30 am procedure. When 7:30 came around, there was no patient to be operated on. Why? Because there was no porter to take the patient from the ward to the operating theatre. “No problems” said my friend and some of his colleagues, “we’ll go to the ward and get the patient ourselves”. They weren’t allowed to do that because “they hadn’t been trained in the correct manner to push a gurney“. The net result: a poor patient had his/her surgery cancelled and a group of surgeons, an anaesthesiologist and the operating theatre nurses were left standing around twiddling their thumbs until the porter eventually turned up and the second patient scheduled for surgery that day was wheeled into the operating theatre.

As long as people refuse to admit that there are flaws in the NHS (a lot of which have nothing to do with funding) and that the NHS is not the envy of the world and start to have a grown-up discussion about what the NHS is for, how it should be funded and how do you Futureproof the system, then I do not see the present postcode lottery in terms of excellence of care as changing any time soon.

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Having been in the past an administration manager of a very busy outpatients department, I totally fail to see how we could have been more efficient or less bureaucratic.  With 8 staff (6 whole time equivalents) we were doing 49,000 appointments a year, servicing 42 clinics and 32 clinicians.  Our service level agreement was for 35,000.  And still we get slagged off.  This is why I left the NHS. 

In any multi-disciplined organisation, there will always be those that do the job and those that "administer" it. Staffing levels become irrelevant if those employed have the right experience in their respective fields.

I do not recall the full circumstances of your cyber-foot, but respect to suggest that if the medically qualified involved had not taken the decisions they did at the time, then things may have turned out different. We'll let admin sort it out later!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I would offer you a slice of courgette cake but alas it does not travel well if unaccompanied. The alternative is that final assembly is performed on site by a technician accredited by the maker. Unfortunately l will be unable to perform either service before the last one of the season has been consumed.

And bang goes TSE's Chrimbo Card.......:laugh:

In other news:

Nearly new young lady neighbour called tonight (she with the VSPT - who by all accounts takes her T very seriously - especially in the middle of the night) - she wanted to let me know that they'll have work starting tomorrow "that will be noisy".   Not a problem, as I'll probably be getting my own back before too long.  Apparently - and after spending what Bear thinks must be a scary amount of money on tradesmen doing all sorts of work in the house - and very nice it looks too - the laminate floor in the side extension (it's an end of terrace) was being affected by damp.  Anyway, people came to look, lifted some of the laminate to note the floor was damp; a trial pit was dug and they discovered wooden floor joints under a layer of concrete - with concrete poured between the floor joists :O - and no DPC underneath.  Eeek.  This handiwork pre-dates their purchase of the property (done some time last year IIRC).  So it'll be about ten days' work to dig the whole lot out and do it properly apparently.  I've a feeling the same clowns may also have done something to the kitchen floor, but I'm not sure what.  I've not mentioned that yet - but I will cos' I know at some point they are talking about a new kitchen...

Bear's fun tomorrow will be uncovering, shifting & re-covering lounge furniture against one wall to make room for removing some dodgy plaster on one area of the window wall, followed by getting the tools together for some heavy engineering.  I'm meeting a couple of the College guys at the cafe at lunch time for a couple of hours so getting too involved in any messy work isn't an option really.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and now Amazon will REALLY let me annoy the neighbours with this offer ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/10/25/plan-b-not-at-this-point/

I rated that Thanks John, for reminding me that it was Agincourt day. Another day to tease the neighbours about.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been looking at the back to back programs on Yesterday about things unmentionable here on ER's but I could add that a visit to the bookshop in the former railway station at Alnwick has been added to my bucket list.

16 minutes ago, andyram said:

On Saturday, as I drove to the shop, I passed a certain ex-headteacher who was out walking. For the first time there was no anger and no regret. Maybe, just maybe, I have started to emerge from the other side of the battle I have had. Hopefully the shop will continue to grow and, thanks to the new education role, has more time to develop into something much longer term. 

Sorry for the lengthier than planned post, but I wanted to update you all.

Andy

I've seen no reports of any ex-headteachers being involved in hit and runs.:jester: Anyway, nice to see you back Andy and I hope your visits become a bit more frequent.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I rated that Thanks John, for reminding me that it was Agincourt day. Another day to tease the neighbours about.

Also St Crispin and St Crispinian's day, martyred twins and the patron saints of shoemakers. The Charge of the Light Brigade also happened on this date, rather less successful than Agincourt.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I arrived at Wythenshaw Hospital this morning, just after quarter past eight and was seen fairly promptly. In fact, I was stood at the car park pay station at just after quarter to nine! As it’s half term, the roads were a lot quieter than usual and I was parking up in Sainsbury’s car park just after ten past nine. I then dropped off Sheila’s prescription and competed the rest of the shopping very quickly. I was unloading the car at home at quarter past ten! After I’d packed away all the shopping, I finished making the fruit tea loaf that I’d left soaking last night. After which, I made myself a muggertea and retired to the living room and watched the latest Hornby program. After dinner I watched a documentary I recorded the other day about the Lancaster bomber. So I’ve not done a great deal today really, but I’ve enjoyed the rest. 

I’ve used courgettes in cakes, the result is very much like a carrot cake and absolutely delicious. Although, you do have to squeeze out most of the juice before adding them to the cake. 

Nice to see Andyram popping in again. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1