The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

My preferred target was the back of the hand as I found that the cubital fossa wasn’t as easy to get blood out of as the text books claim (plus the brachial artery and the median nerve are very, very close to the superficial veins :scared:)

And from the meandering length of Memory Lane I bid you a great Tuesday

I hate needles but was much 'happier' on the 'taking' side but the back of the hand ... your post sent quite a few 'picture' memories of being on the wrong end of the sad needle.  Babies were quite a challenge.  

15 tubes( iLD and BSW01) - the mind really boggles at just what was being requested, never experienced anywhere near that many as a request in my 35 years in pathology departments.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(although I wouldn’t mind seeing some of those underwear ads reported by Poly Bear, GDB, Pup Cam et cetera).

24 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Or this Puppers  :no:  Sadly ..... :cry:

GDB!    What have you been looking at!   :lol:

Erm, puzzled of Sutton here.  As a yellow metal member I don't get any of these annoying ads, pop ups or otherwise that everyone is talking about so could I ask where I am supposed to have reported looking at undergarments....???  :scratchhead:

Not that I am a prude you understand and if they were surrounding a well shaped and attractive person of the opposite sex then I probably wouldn't look away.

Now waiting for the PC police to lock me up for being sexist or clothesist or anythingthatoffendssomebody'ssensibilitiesist.   :banghead:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Erm, puzzled of Sutton here.  As a yellow metal member I don't get any of these annoying ads, pop ups or otherwise that everyone is talking about so could I ask where I am supposed to have reported looking at undergarments....???  :scratchhead:

Bear considers that a Class Action against a certain Supervillan may well be justified - scurrilous untruths and besmirching our impeccable characters causing untold financial and emotional damage.  All those wishing to sign up to such an action should in the first instance send one very large LDC (each) to Mr. P. Bear for further details....

In other news:

Bear thought he'd get an insurance quote for a theoretical visit to Italy for one week sometime next year.  It came back as twenty quid upwards, with "enhanced covid cover".  So not nearly as scary as Bear has heard stories of.  Perhaps it being Europe helps?

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The visit to the model railway emporium wasn't as successful as I hoped as the items required were not in stock but they have now been ordered. Took a bit of time getting there as within a half mile of said emporium the road was closed for repairs resulting in a three mile detour, not helped by half the lanes on the A13 being closed between Pitsea and Saddlers Farm sending excess traffic on the route as well. Arthur Itis has been making a fuss as well so another brace of Nurofen has been taken. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear thought he'd get an insurance quote for a theoretical visit to Italy for one week sometime next year.  It came back as twenty quid upwards, with "enhanced covid cover".  So not nearly as scary as Bear has heard stories of.  Perhaps it being Europe helps?

We still have a cruise booked during the summer next year. Apparently the insurance has to cover Covid and be cruise compliant whatever that means, being stranded on board for weeks I think. We have normally used the annual travel insurance from our bank (enhanced to cover an increasing list of existing conditions) but if they can’t comply with what the cruise line want we will just go with the cruise recommended one. The holiday has been rebooked about three times now. It started as a cruise to Iceland in 2020. Now it is a Western Med  plus Portugal  cruise though to different places (except Venice and Rome) we have visited on previous Med holidays.  
Tony

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, polybear said:

….Not this Bear :no:.  Sadly.....:laugh:

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Or this Puppers  :no:  Sadly ..... :cry:

GDB!    What have you been looking at!   :lol:

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

….Erm, puzzled of Sutton here.  As a yellow metal member I don't get any of these annoying ads, pop ups or otherwise that everyone is talking about so could I ask where I am supposed to have reported looking at undergarments....???  :scratchhead:

And I’m supposed to believe these barely credible denials?  As Captain Cynical is feeling particularly magnanimous today, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. It is remotely possible that my secret information gathering service made an error and the guilty culprits on ER are actually other individuals (hmmm, I may need to reorganise my Sicherheitsdienstabteilung if they are providing me with incorrect information)

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

…Bear considers that a Class Action against a certain Supervillan may well be justified - scurrilous untruths and besmirching our impeccable characters causing untold financial and emotional damage….

How can I impugn Mr Bear et al., if they have never been “pugned” in their lives?:jester:

I really wouldn’t advise taking on Captain Cynical’s mighty empire. For one thing, CC has deep pockets (he considers paying £15 for a plate of Hand Cut Triple Cooked Chips to be a mere trivial bagatelle and if he wishes to have something sweet for z’vieri, Instead of buying an LDC, he’ll buy an entire LDC factory)

Plus, as a Supervillain, CC has no moral scruples and it would be absolutely terrible if there would be - for example - a most unfortunate “accidental“ fire in Mr Bear’s new kitchen….  

But as a one-off gesture of rapprochement (that is positively and absolutely not to be construed as an admission of anything) CC is happy to offer Poly Bear, Puppers and a GDB each a Swiss Made Victoria Sponge with Blackberry Jam and a choice of either a vanilla buttercream or salted caramel buttercream. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I draw your attention to chokoes!

Utterly worthless. Grow prodigiously with wild abandon and are disgusting to eat. Only useful as a compost accelerant - which offsets their putative value as a carbon dioxide consumer.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Any one else fed up with all these pop up adds, perhaps it’s just the new iPad, but I get them on every page or post now.

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I think we all get the same Adds pop up on every page change, I spend less time browsing now.

My emphasis. 

I click to close immediately. (It's almost automatic now.) I see them pop up on contents pages and the first visit to each thread, or after posting. Once in a thread (and the popup closed), you shouldn't see them going to a new page. I don't.

I don't see any "full page" ads, but I am not using a 'phone or tablet.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Utterly worthless. Grow prodigiously with wild abandon and are disgusting to eat. Only useful as a compost accelerant - which offsets their putative value as a carbon dioxide consumer.

Every house had a choko vine growing over the outside dunny. Now toilets are inside you have to buy chokoes from the supermarket. Woolies have them currently for $1.57 each online which shows people are mad these days. 

Apparently they were boiled to mush then served but my home always had an inside toilet so mum never cooked them. As a result I've rarely had to eat them unless the rumour that Mcdonalds got caught using them as apple replacements in their apple pie things here in the '80's is true.

For those in far away lands wondering what this is about cos you have no chokos there apparently chokos are also called chayote,  mirliton, güisqu and , pimpinela and is a kind of gourd. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good Evening Awl, for another telephone medical consultation is under the belt and being analysed!

Elsewhere:

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

What, no sprouts?

Sprouts are, in effect, model cabbages. Should be tender and crunchy and not boiled to a pulp.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And I’m supposed to believe these barely credible denials?  As Captain Cynical is feeling particularly magnanimous today, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. It is remotely possible that my secret information gathering service made an error and the guilty culprits on ER are actually other individuals

The climbdown commences, followed by the "t'wasn't my fault guv, it was the other bloke...."

I really wouldn’t advise taking on Captain Cynical’s mighty empire. For one thing, CC has deep pockets (he considers paying £15 for a plate of Hand Cut Triple Cooked Chips to be a mere trivial bagatelle.....

Whilst this Bear is shrewd enough to get a rather nice dinner (main course) in a Pub Restaurant for that - quite possibly including Bear's favoured lemonade & black*.  Who's the smarter bunny?

*No Ice. No Slice. No Umbrella....

Plus, as a Supervillain, CC has no moral scruples and it would be absolutely terrible if there would be - for example - a most unfortunate “accidental“ fire in Mr Bear’s new kitchen….  

Hang on, it's now gone from a civil case to a criminal case....threats of violence....

The compo just went up.

But as a one-off gesture of rapprochement (that is positively and absolutely not to be construed as an admission of anything) CC is happy to offer Poly Bear, Puppers and a GDB each a Swiss Made Victoria Sponge with Blackberry Jam and a choice of either a vanilla buttercream or salted caramel buttercream. 

Hmmm, Bear would have to consult with the rest of the Musketeers.....once they've sent in the requisite LDC of course.  One for all, all for one n' all that....

Any offers of compo would of course have to be delivered....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sounds like an excellent plan for re-building our tattered reputations chaps (and Bears).    You can drop it in when you next return iD.   Of course, if the period before your next visit is likely to be extended say, beyond the beginning of November perhaps a 24 hour courier would be a better delivery option?

I'm just wondering.  Am I too easily "bought"?  :taunt:

34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I click to close immediately. (It's almost automatic now.) I see them pop up on contents pages and the first visit to each thread, or after posting. Once in a thread (and the popup closed), you shouldn't see them going to a new page. I don't.

I don't see any "full page" ads, but I am not using a 'phone or tablet.

With Win 10, Firefox, my anti-virus and malware stuff I'm not seeing any adverts on the PC.

On my iPhone I get a pop-up ad for each new thread and the perpetually irritating "Privacy" tab lurking in the low right corner so just don't bother using my phone for RMWeb now.   It's all too much like hard work!

Alan

• Like 15

27 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

unless the rumour that Mcdonalds got caught using them as apple replacements in their apple pie things here in the '80's is true.

Ha, just checked out how the choko rumour is going. Heres a thread from the Mcdonalds facebook page here - seems even 6 years ago people were bringing it up and Mcdonalds have someone working fulltime refuting it.

The US  has 911 false flag theorists, anti-vaxxers, and Qanon. Here we have the Mcdonalds choko conspiracy supporters.

choko.jpg.ad44f0b8c44b4afbac43a82a31d562e9.jpg

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

With Win 10

My PC invited me to upgrade to Win11 last night. I am not usually an early adopter but thought why not, I do have other devices to do important stuff like read RMWeb posts. It upgraded while I was watching University Challenge, then did a couple of updates and seems fine. I have no idea what super duper stuff is happening down in the processor but on screen the only obvious difference is that the start button is now bottom centre instead of bottom left.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We still have a cruise booked during the summer next year. Apparently the insurance has to cover Covid and be cruise compliant whatever that means, being stranded on board for weeks I think. We have normally used the annual travel insurance from our bank (enhanced to cover an increasing list of existing conditions) but if they can’t comply with what the cruise line want we will just go with the cruise recommended one. The holiday has been rebooked about three times now. It started as a cruise to Iceland in 2020. Now it is a Western Med  plus Portugal  cruise though to different places (except Venice and Rome) we have visited on previous Med holidays.  
Tony

After seeing a TV show about cruising, its definitely not my idea of a holiday; all those people on ship that want to do the same as the passengers of the other ships in port at the same time.  Its a mad crush; all right if you like crowds but  what pleasure is there otherwise.  The same people doing the same thing, otherwise you can't eat and drink your way across the Med or wherever.  Gamble if you must; its a time waster as well as  money waster.  Shows the equal of Butlins, minus the blazered young hosts but now geared to the younger, cool crowd which might not be everyone's cup of tea.  Then theres always the chance of delay caused by some late returning 'guests'!

8 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Don't you get enough from Chris ?? Chris is a local railway book seller and Laurence is often found on the other side of Chris's sales stand at our exhibition . . . . . .

Andy Y has said that all those you mentioned are part of a test although it seems that every now and again a 'proper' advert pops up - for a 'test' it does seem to have been going on for quite some time.

Andy Y has said that they are working on a 'Silver' version as there have been many comments on the 'Advertising' thread from those who don't want everything that 'Gold' offers. It is hoped that the cut-down version will do away with adverts but won't give access to BRM (and other magazines) etc. If that's the case and it's a reasonable price then I expect many will decide to go 'Silver' instead of 'Gold'.

At least we get a svelte blond dancing at a car show!;)

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Don't you get enough from Chris ?? Chris is a local railway book seller and Laurence is often found on the other side of Chris's sales stand at our exhibition . . . . . .

Andy Y has said that all those you mentioned are part of a test although it seems that every now and again a 'proper' advert pops up - for a 'test' it does seem to have been going on for quite some time.

Andy Y has said that they are working on a 'Silver' version as there have been many comments on the 'Advertising' thread from those who don't want everything that 'Gold' offers. It is hoped that the cut-down version will do away with adverts but won't give access to BRM (and other magazines) etc. If that's the case and it's a reasonable price then I expect many will decide to go 'Silver' instead of 'Gold'.

Which is one reason why I need another book supplier like I need the hole,(I do like looking through bookshops):D

Something for the musketeers to beware of, will CC's offering be sabotaged?:jester:

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5