The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The trend to maximize interior space and minimize lot size has been going on for a long time in the US.

I used to live in Irvine, California. The Irvine family was beneficiary of a Mexican land grant in the Mexican colonial era and expanded their holdings. At one point this was home to cattle and groves, but in the late 20th century it became a massive planned community real estate venture.

The planning department of the Irvine Company designed integrated floor and street plans. I remember reading (decades ago) that by careful co-design of street alignment and floorplans they had achieved something like 14 single-family dwelling units (each with a two-car garage) per acre.

I may be wrong but I think planning guidance was for something like 25 properties per acre. 

• Informative/Useful 11

2 minutes ago, pH said:

You say that as if it’s a bad thing. As someone who is not a great fan of yard work, I’m in favour of that trend :P.

Indeed it's not necessarily a bad thing. The only lawn I have is a grassy strip between the sidewalk and street - which was required by local zoning. Even with minimal lawn the amount of other yard work in the landscaping (weeding, etc) is significant.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, TheQ said:

….The motorboat electrics are going to get expensive, …...

Isn’t there a joke that goes along the lines of “how do you become a millionaire boat owner? Start as a billionaire boat owner……

15 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

…..in fact planning on the rock is needed for just about anything, change your front door or a window, lift your little finger......anything.  And if you live in a controlled area, even the colours you paint things, or materials things are made from ie UPVC window frames (even with matching wood colours) - no chance.  This is a knee jerk reaction from virtually uncontrolled building regs in the 60's and 70's  when some real horrors were committed. 

And the sad thing is that with overly stringent, if not sometimes absurd, planning regulations, the net effect is the diametric opposite of what the planning regs intend.

Private Eye has run stories about property owners who were incentivised to let a great old property fall into absolute ruin, bulldozer it “because it’s a dangerous building” and sell on/over develop the land - simply because to have restored the building as the planning department required would not have been - for the property owner - financially feasible.

9 hours ago, polybear said:

…You need three?  Amateur.  :laugh:

Yet another reason NOT to invite A Bear to any sort of cake tasting event…

9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Definitely needs a jealous button I have a garage but it would be a struggle to get a Nissan micra in never mind the Volvo SUV we have

Our attached garage is just about big enough for Hettie the Yeti (our Skoda), as the house was built in the 50s it was probably built to accommodate something like a Fiat 1400 or a Renault 4CV

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The trend to maximize interior space and minimize lot size has been going on for a long time in the US…..

Not A Good Trend! At least in my eyes - not the interior space (the more the merrier, say I) but being cheek-by-jowl with the neighbours. I thought one of the joys of suburban US home ownership was that “next door” could be a decent 5-10 minute walk away.

Unfortunately, I live in a semi-detached house which is OK (as such properties go), but I’m still hoping to persuade Mrs iD to move to a detached rural property

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I am equally not a fan of the addtional domestic engineering required to keep a house twice as large as is entirely necessary clean and tidy ;)   

My experience is the complete opposite. Having rented a huge US apartment and a small Swiss apartment, I found that the US apartment was much easier to clean - for one thing you had space enough to wield the “weapons of mass cleanliness” and vacuuming the floor was never a slalom!

Nowadays, we have a lovely cleaning lady (who has been with us now for about 15 years or so) who is really fast and efficient (with the added bonus that Lucy and Schotty absolutely adore her). Definitely a necessary “luxury”

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Land is quite cheap in France. Round here building plots range from €7 to €11 per sq metre (Approx 10 sq ft.).  Sheds, more often barns are seen as a maintenance headache and almost come free with the house. I won't mention our shed.

Jamie

You lucky so-and-so. Where I live (in the “budget” end of a small town) housing goes for upwards of CHF 1500 per square metre and in places like Zürich and Geneva the sky’s the limit - with some areas definitely being in the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” category.

Enjoy the day!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear has a morning of filling holes in a wall with mortar to look forward to.  Those years of making mud pies as a young cub didn't go to waste after all.  The Beary shoulder continues to behave, which I've decided is a Very, Very Good Thing.

After that?  Well I might just cut the expamet mesh into smaller, more sensible pieces, ready for fixing on various walls; I currently have 3 sheets of the stuff in the lounge, each 8ft long and always trying to rip a Beary leg or two open as I do my best to navigate around the bomb site.  I've a feeling I may need several plasters on the paws before the day is out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning, chillier 8c but dry dans le rock, very still.  Rain fore guessed later so my walk will be soon.

Norra lot else to report really, but I note building land here is about a million an acre, no idea how that compares. 

Off for breakfast. Nothing exciting!

• Like 19