The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Just as the Birmingham Bull Ring was not for bulls. 

The name Bull Ring referred to the green within Corn Cheaping that was used for bull-baiting. The 'ring' was a hoop of iron in Corn Cheaping to which bulls were tied for baiting before slaughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Ring,_Birmingham

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

We are off to Rutland today for a Family Christmas present swap. It involves going to a very nice gastro pub..the Jackson Stops Inn and eating lunch..

I was there last Friday Baz and jolly good it was too.

Many happy returns to GDB.

Off now to the market to get in the comestibles. At least it beats sweeping, raking, gathering and otherwise disposing of bl**dy leaves!

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Opened my computer this morning to find the history had been wiped :(. I must have pressed the wrong button when I deleted the cookies on the site last night. At least I've kept my saved passwords and can sign in to things like Farcebook and E-bay and a few others. Only thing is is that I have to go through the rigmarol of clicking on pics of traffic lights before I can get on the sights.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s wet outside and quite windy too, it’s been blowing hard all night. Well my first task of the day will be to get the Christmas tree and decorations from the cellar. I will then assemble the tree and put up the decorations. This will probably take me until at least dinner time, if not part way through the afternoon. Still, it keeps me out of mischief doesn’t it 

Happy birthday GDB, you share it with the twins, Evie and Max, who are 13 today. 

Back later. 

Brian. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian D said:

Bad press imho. Apparently all said Tarquins are insulating something or other by supergluing them selves to motorways. A lot of em look like an age group who should know better, or is it "early onset", or has the world gone mad? 

Recently the Daily Star had been calling them Road Tarquins on their front pages along with lots of Ha ha s when they finally got the stretches inside they thoroughly deserved

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all the birthday greetings.  Good start to the day as when I came downstairs  I discovered The Boss preparing eggs & bacon so that was a pleasant midweek surprise. Cake has been altered slightly as I’ve just remembered that one of the family has a bit of a dairy intolerance so I’m ditching the buttercream.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

Birthday greetings to GDB!

Today is:  MOANSDAY not Wednesday

Received the Permagrit tool set from those nice people at Pemagrit last night.    I only placed the order on Sunday evening so that is very good indeed.    What was far from satisfactory though was the fact that it was delivered by DHL and the "parcel" (well, thin plastic bag) was decidedly distressed.    Looks like the DHL van got stuck in a snow drift and they used MY PARCEL as a wheel chock to try and get some purchase.  

Clearly it worked as

a) the the van delivered it and

b) the evidence is clear to see on the parcel!    

And to think I was charged something like £6-50 for the pleasure of that "service" !!!

(Note:  This may be considered to be a rant by a certain bear @ 11:18am GMT, 1/12/21)

Fortunately because Permagrit tools are basically lumps of steel with tungsten carbide brazed on to it they are as tough as old boots and were not damaged during the process.   Good really because, as I mentioned, they are a gift for Junior Puppers.       Apparently Puppers (if he is very good) may be receiving a large, precision optical device for looking at things in the night sky.   I blxxdy well hope DHL aren't delivering it!

Anyway,  I'll be on to Kay or Tracey in "Customer Service" just to let them know that there courier is seriously letting the side down.

Yes, this is exactly how it arrived ...

1007931275_Parcel1.jpg.e34dfffdfe8a785f76eb8349bc972520.jpg

1676800962_Parcel2.jpg.0472fd58b94a70f126a7071162ce4a05.jpg

1684076835_Parcel3.jpg.c4e86ee0b24877fe4fc0f354f03e097e.jpg

In other moans:

I have to try and have another go at claiming from RM for an undelivered parcel.   Their tracking said it had been delivered to the house number and postcode it was addressed to.   As the recipients were at home on the day of so called delivery they can confirm that no parcel was delivered  i.e.   doorbell rung, person opens door, postman hands parcel to person.   If delivery was "Chuck it out the van and leave it on the open driveway at the front in full view of Johnny Scumbag the thieving scrote just walking by" then perhaps it was "delivered" but even that scenario is not for certain.     When I tried before, the only way I could see to follow this up was to put in a claim which I attempted to by going through the nauseous process of filling in a web form uploading a number of photographs only to be told that the website hadn't accepted the data (no reason given) and that I should refresh the browser.   Refreshing the browser returns you to Go! but you do not collect £200 ...

Tomorrow I may have to get on to Amazon / Hardware store trader / Royal Mail if the delayed battery bought from said trader somewhere in Kent via Amazon doesn't turn up.     I can see a theme developing ...

Then I have to try and reclaim some money for a faulty aerosol can.    Seems they forgot to fill it with propellant or it leaked out in transit.     You should see the evidence "Customer Services" need to make their customer happy!   Well, I've got all day and it's the principle not the cost so they can flippin well do something about it.

Here endth the rant!

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Oh bu@@eritt. I thought I'd deleted the history on my lap top last night. Instead what had happened was that the automatic restore had been cut out. But since this morning I had shut down and when I started up again I realised what had happened and switched the automatic restore back on. only problem is that it can only restore the last session.

• Friendly/supportive 14