The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Nearly forgot, when I went out this afternoon I espied in next doors skip a forty litre plastic box that was undamaged and nearly new and some unused laminate flooring, still in the packaging. About 2.5 square metres. My brick shed is about two square metres and at present is floored with some rather tatty but sound chipboard. There was also some plastic garden furniture, tired but still useable, until the next gale that is when its likely to disappear to a few streets away.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Something of a downbeat day in prospect tomorrow as I'll be going to say goodbye to my old friend Bob Essery at his funeral. The end of an era.

Dave

Nothing stays still especially not time I'm afraid.

Just remember the good times and think about all the things you learnt. That way he will never be forgotten.

• Like 9
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

While we're on the topic of food, thought we'd have a very adult fry up for tea this evening... 

IMG_20211214_164929_edit_256001591463540.jpg.02dffc1a016d2978bc76aff431462839.jpg

Quite full now!

No Onion Rings?  You've been cheated....:laugh:

Incidentally, is that cheese on toast I spy?  With a F.E?  That's a new one on this Bear.

Looks rather good for a Chrimbo dins dins.  As a Starter......:rofl:

(Google "Kidz Breakfast" for the Real Deal.....)

In other news......

Well the latest in the F1 saga is:

Maclaren will get one shot at appealing the result of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after it emerged that a possible case in front of the Court of Arbitration for Sport is off the table.

So who gets to hear the case?  Yep, the FIA.  That makes them the accused, Judge and Jury:

FIA rules, which all F1 teams including Mercedes agree to, dictate that any proceedings would be heard at the governing body's Court of Appeal.

That means the team, if it does decide to press on with its appeal, would have to convince a panel appointed by the FIA to essentially rule against itself.

That is unlikely to happen, as it would be a major embarrassment for the sport if its top officials were to admit they had manufactured the outcome of the title race.

And finally.....

Apparently this guy is a bodyguard - presumably to the young lady on the left (anyone recognise who it is?).  I'd not argue with him :scared:

image.png.dec57487f3ad6a8ba1c2b3e82c816d61.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Something of a downbeat day in prospect tomorrow as I'll be going to say goodbye to my old friend Bob Essery at his funeral. The end of an era.

Dave

I would have liked, strange though that might sound, to be there myself.  It cannot be.  I'll raise a glass instead.  

G'night all.  It's been a grumpy sort of day everywhere.  Maybe better tomorrow, who knows?  Sleep well.  

• Friendly/supportive 17

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In Australia - tipping is not expected though is appreciated.  

Its always been a tradition to put out a carton of beer for the garbos (bin men) at Christmas, at least up until the '90's. The more stingy or strapped for cash would put out a couple of bottles.

Seems to have been reduced to a 6 pack over the last few years, I guess due to price, but thats probably more helpful to the garbos who used to have to have someone in a ute or truck travel  with them to load all the cartons into, or else keep returning to base to unload. Also its only about 25% or so houses seem to do it now  I guess its one more "Aussie"  tradition  falling by the wayside.

Surprisingly I don't  think I've ever heard of any getting knicked, despite them sitting out on the kerb beside the bin overnight ready for the early morning  garbo run. 

I usually slip the bloke next door a carton at Christmas cos he gets all the leaves  from my Illawarra  flame tree blowing into  his back yard at this time of year in a westerly, which would be annoying.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been measuring up the laminate flooring and the shed, it seems plenty enough to do the whole floor. Now I have to empty the shed.

4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its always been a tradition to put out a carton of beer for the garbos (bin men) at Christmas, at least up until the '90's. The more stingy would put out a couple of bottles.

Seems to have been reduced to a 6 pack over the last few years, I guess due to price, but thats probably more helpful to the garbos who used to have to have someone in a ute or truck travel  with them to load all the cartons into, or else keep returning to base to unload. Also its only about 25% or so houses seem to do it now  I guess its one more "Aussie"  tradition  falling by the wayside.

Surprisingly I don't  think I've ever heard of any getting knicked, despite them sitting out on the kerb beside the bin overnight ready for the early morning  garbo run. 

Problem here is there are separate collections for re-cycling, land fill, garden waste and bottles so whoever arrives first gets the prize. When I was a nipper we had plenty of callers, insurance man, Christmas club etc as well as the milkman and postman who all got a tot of whisky from my dad.  One of our neighbours was a milkman and the police stopped his milk float and breathalysed him just before Christmas as he was making his way back to the depot. He was way over the drink drive limit.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 10

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Problem here is there are separate collections for re-cycling, land fill, garden waste and bottles so whoever arrives first gets the prize.

We have that too, they put it into a big pile back at garbage HQ an then divvy it up.

Why wouldnt they?  Imagine being that one bloke who took it all for himself instead of sharing with his mates - he'd sure have a sh1thouse working life the rest of the year! 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It wasn’t until after I’d made my first post this morning that I noticed it was foggy! But it cleared up mid morning and the rest of the day was quite pleasant. 

Shopping was shopped and the stock levels are now back to normal on bulk but items. It’s so much cheaper to buy a 5ltr bottle of fabric conditioner than it is to buy 6 or 7 - 3/4ltr bottles etc. We do the same for laundry washing liquid as well. I refill a smaller bottle, making it easier for Sheila to handle, so that means that there is less waste, so it’s better for the planet too! 

After dinner I finished off making the spiced fruit tea loaf that I’d left soaking overnight, the aroma that wafted in to the living room from the kitchen was heavenly. 

This evening we had our weekly chat with Vickie, we’d already spoken to James and Michael over the weekend, so we’ve caught up with them all now, until next week that is. When we spoke with James on Sunday, we arranged for him and Amelia to come round on Friday for tea, that’s not happened for quite some time now, so we’re really looking forward to seeing them both. 

• Like 18

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

... words fail me.

Vaccination rates in the US are heavily politicized.

Much independent data analysis has been done to study this.

I am reluctant to make any further comment that broaches our guidelines on avoiding politics.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Apparently this guy is a bodyguard

Shades of "Fezzik" in The Princess Bride, (played by the late wrestler, André the Giant).

I find this quote from The Princess Bride to be apropos:

Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?

Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Funny 17

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have strong memories of a big strapping bloke jumping the fence while shouldering a tray of straw and excrement from the thunderbox at my Grandmother's on his way back to the 'truck'. What a nasty job! (In subtropical heat!) He and his mates earned a bottle of Bundy at Christmas as a token of appreciation.

The dunny man! 

image.png.b9fb3f789c0bb4ff0eca6cc02f934b6e.png

We lived in a posh house with an inside toilet that flushed but nearby some of my mates had the outside toilet with can in it that was collected by the dunny man. 

Summer the cans were just a ball of flies and stinky as, these blokes should have got medals and stuff for carrying them upon their shoulders, right beside their face, especially since some were not the cleanest on the outside if someone's aim was off...

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

How do

I was in Hitchin last evening for a sparsely attended but interesting RCTS meeting.  On the way home I allowed myself a pre-Christmas treat - the sound of Spector.  "A Christmas Gift For You" is a set of seasonal songs done by Spector's artists - here a Crystal, there a Ronette - that was first issued in November 1963 on the day after JFK was shot.  That rather put a damper on sales but the record company persisted and for a while at least it was issued every year.  I picked up my vinyl copy for £1 from a shop that clearly did not know the value of what it was selling and is now long gone.  Nowadays the odd track gets played on the radio or included in a TV commercial and there must be many who recognise the tracks but do not know where they come from.  There are not many classic albums in my collection but I reckon that the Spector Christmas album is one.

Chris   

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1