RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I made a kanagroo bourgignon......

Skippy......:cry:

And the the news today is brought to you by Bear, thru' the round window.....

O

It seems he's out - or about to be.  Unless the Immigration Minister decides otherwise.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/novak-djokovic-released-from-immigration-detention-after-australian-court-quashes-visa-cancellation-live-updates/ar-AASB7By?ocid=msedgntp

How would you like to live in a house like this?  Er, notalot......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/ritzy-san-francisco-condo-tower-is-now-leaning-by-26-inches/ar-AASBmHB?ocid=msedgntp

Seems like fun......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tesla-fart-feature-has-people-confused/vi-AASxMR5?ocid=msedgntp

In other news......

Bear had better crack on with the lounge refurb - virtually ready for the plasterer now.  Today's fun will see a small wall channel being created in order to bury a cable.  After that it's anybody's guess.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s not raining, but apart from that it’s dull and grey and there is a 50% chance of rain at some point during the day. Sheila is getting ready for her first post Christmas Zumba class. There is a slight chance that she’ll ask for a lift, but once she’s left I shall tackle the 2 ovens. One is used more than the other, so I shall start with that one first, but I doubt I’ll get them both done today. However, before I do, I shall pull the oven out, clean both of the sides down and mop the floor underneath.

This sort of job is so much easier to do when Sheila is out of the house! That’s the morning sorted out, what I shall do this afternoon is yet to be sorted, maybe some work downstairs in the cellar. 

Back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Morning, I eat venison, but I don't eat it at certain times of the year, Red stag and Roe buck is very gamey and is shot before the rut, so a lot of testosterone in the meat, I don't like it if it's hung too long either, reminds me of liver, which is another product I don't eat. Red hind or Roe deer doe are milder in flavour, usually available now. Of the game meats I much prefer a Pheasant, had one just before Christmas, a lean and healthy meat that has usually had some time in the wild, though some birds are reared on game farms. A dietician recommended game meat or Highland beef  as are all lower in cholesterol apparently and healthier if you eat red meat.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

I don't believe that I have ever eaten venison.  Something tells me that if I search for it in Tesco later this morning I will search in vain.  How the other half live?

Seek and ye shall find Chris ......

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/fresh-food/fresh-meat-and-poultry/duck-venison-and-game

In other news

Two trips to the tidy tip in the Estate's utility vehicle old muddy Mondog with old-shed debris.    Another couple of runs will hopefully see it all gone.    Then I suppose I ought to open the other shed and take most of its contents to the tidy tip.

This afternoon I think will be spent developing an improvement for the telescope's "Red Dot" sighting system.      This will most likely take the form of a small mirror mounted at 45 degrees to the line of sight so that you can actually use it without having a telescope shaped hole in the side of one's head to enable you to see the red dot ....

I'll let you know if it works!

Alan

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Ouch! you have my sympathy. Looking for a mitigating positive, at least you won't have to install a new thermostat which you would have if your bonce had won  the bout.

Actually it would've been better if my bonce had won cos' the Thermostat is late 80's vintage (sleek and modern it most definitely isn't) and is down for replacement with a new item I already have squirrelled away somewhere....

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I was fortunate that my secondary school didn't have a school canteen, which were dire in the 1960s, so instead we got half price (1s 3d for 2s 6) vouchers for the local one near Magdalen Bridge which would be enough for a main course, pud and I think a drink. 

Sounds pretty good for the princely sum of 8p....

In other news.....

Bear's bury the cable in the wall mission has been completed - all filled in :yahoo:  And that's about as much fun as the day has been today.  Still, another job off the list....

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

<RANT 1> SHORT version, the long would take PAGES!!! 

Having wasted half of Sunday on an attempt to get a prescription filled but thwarted due to the incompetence/money grubbing of the US HEALTH-FOR-PROFIT CARE system I'm now stuck with either driving a minimum of 8 miles each way to get my prescriptions, instead of walking 1/4 mile, or, ordering online/mail-order.
BOTH require me to take several actions AND get my doctor to switch the location prescriptions are filled - as they are existing prescriptions "I" can't just do it myself, has to be a doctors order :banghead::rtfm::butcher:

All this is SIMPLY because the new prescription coverage with my health insurance is with "CVS CareMark". Guess what, CVS are a major pharmacy/chemist here, so I'm FORCED to use THEIR stores or THEIR approved online services :( instead of simply being allowed to fill prescriptions at my preferred and LOCAL pharmacy.

I hope all the people who profit from this lose their retirement accounts in a market crash :(

<END RANT 1>

<RANT 2>

Hornby - ARE YOU SERIOUS??? The latest Merchant Navy and West Country and "Sir Nigel Gresley" engines are HOW MUCH?!?!?! Christ I'm still working and can't see myself inclined to p!ss away THAT much on one new engine. I bought my wifes'  new Dell i7 Laptop computer for slightly more than that.

<END RANT 2>

A very fine pair of Rants :clapping: As regards No.2, a certain Bear thought very hard a year ago before placing a pre-order for something very Hush Hush - at a hundred and eighty notes it was by far the most expensive such item I'd considered purchasing :scared:

And then when the final bill came in it'd jumped to £198 :scared: :shout: - I did consider baling out at that point - but the item in question is a particular favourite; now it seems that further such items are to hit £255, and going the wrong side of three hundred notes for other examples won't take much effort either, if that's what makes yer mop flop.....

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/Hornby-2022-announcements-revealed?utm_campaign=135539_WoR  Hornby Announcement  10th Jan 22&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital&dm_i=73DL,2WKZ,ZUKWT,B9FS,1

In other news:

They've just shown a clip on the news of a light aircraft pilot who'd crash landed on a road in the States - finally parking it (now very second-hand) on a railway line.....

The Police only just managed to drag him out of the wreck before a high speed train collected the wreckage and sprayed it all over the shop.  He should buy himself a lottery ticket without delay......

A very, very lucky Bunny indeed.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

All this is SIMPLY because the new prescription coverage with my health insurance is with "CVS CareMark".

Been there done that, have the tee shirt. My old employer switched their benefits provider to use CVS CareMark and I had to use it until my COBRA* expired. The one benefit of not having further employer supplied healthcare was the ability to return to my preferred pharmacy. (It's actually further away.)

* Not reptilia/serpentes, but continuation of health care under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act.

The local CVS was formerly a Target Pharmacy, until Target sold their in-store pharmacy to the CVS chain. My son worked as a Pharmacy Tech for Target at that location. He became an unhappy CVS employee and ended up unemployed - his fault, but related to their practices. Their service is terrible. They deliberately try to minimize hours for the Techs (who are not full-time employees) to reduce costs, and this has a big impact on customer service and job satisfaction for the techs, who get reduced hours and when working, feel overwhelmed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 19

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I would suggest that controlling the deer numbers by hunting/shooting is a much more humane approach than letting them slowly starve or die of disease.

Rounding them up and slaughtering them the same way as domesticated animals would be more humane in a cull. Wild hunting inevitably has a hit or miss approach and an errant shot can cause a deer to take off and suffer, even if quite grievously injured.

I have friends who hunt, some with rifles and some bowhunt. They eat what they kill. Bow hunting deer is not easy - it requires getting very close and then shooting very accurately. A 'kill shot' is a lower probability than a wound shot and the arrow heads used for deer hunting are vicious.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I may be able to start a layout in about 5 years time if I can afford it

This Bear wants to get the Lounge and Hall/Stairs/Landing out of the way before such thoughts can become a reality; if all goes well then 2022 should see them out of the way....

Bear decided that a bonce fur wash to get rid of the dried on claret was in order.  Unfortunately that caused the bonce to start bleeding again.  Turdycurses.

I've just started watching "Cliffhanger" - some nutcase free-climbing at about a million feet up.  Barking :crazy:.  Oops - someone just fell.  Ouch. 

Tomorrow sees some prep for the plasterer turning up - I'm hoping for a start next monday...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

What I hadn't realised was that wartime rationing didn't apply to private restaurants - though there were limitations on what they could serve each diner for a meal.

My mum told me that during the war she and dad once went out to a country pub and had a meal with relatives. Once in six years, mind you. She said they felt incredibly naughty.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Ouch! you have my sympathy. Looking for a mitigating positive, at least you won't have to install a new thermostat which you would have if your bonce had won  the bout.

In Oxford there were Municipal Restaurants- the city's take on the wartime British Restaurants* (or Community Feeding Centres as the Min. of Food called them till Churchill put his foot down) but Oxford's lasted far longer- well into the 1970s and they acted in part as works canteens for people who didn't have access to a works canteen. I was fortunate that my secondary school didn't have a school canteen, which were dire in the 1960s, so instead we got half price (1s 3d for 2s 6) vouchers for the local one near Magdalen Bridge which would be enough for a main course, pud and I think a drink.  We had a special queuing system so that the boys from the school didn't get in everyone else's way and, having experienced Oxford's school meals service at primary school, I appreciated it very greatly.

*looking this up the British Restaurants were originally designed to feed people who'd been bombed out or displaced, or had run out of ration coupons but I think were also much used by people who'd traditionally gone home for "dinnner" (i.e. lunch) . What I hadn't realised was that wartime rationing didn't apply to private restaurants - though there were limitations on what they could serve each diner for a meal.

This photo of a British Restaurant in London in 1943 isn't that different from the Oxford "Muni" in the mid 1960s though I don't think we got the checked table cloths

1844595825_BritishRestaurant1943.jpg.3d7e8550e73ce668d73447be198a8601.jpg

What an atmospheric picture!  Even at my tender years then, I can relate to it very well.  Everybody looks well fed- a lot different from the pictures we saw from some other countries in Europe.  Well dressed also, fur coats even and lots of shiny shoes.  Only a couple of smokers amongst those who follow the British tradition of table sharing.  Even a Grandma Buggins or two; (hands up if anyone remembers Grandma Buggins!)  The British Restaurants really didn't deserve the reputation they got as they fed a lot of people and contributed mightily to inning the war.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1