RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Drop of T-Cut and it'll be fine :laugh:

A police officer did use those exact words to Aditi after a traffic incident. A motorcycle and its rider had left black plastic and rubber marks all down the offside of her car before it completed its braking manoeuvre in the near side of a BMW.  Both cars were stationary at the time. The police officer was correct. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

Got most of my electrical goods picked up and the stuff from eBay arrived. Only problem was that instead of 2 double gang sockets with USb charging points there was 1 and a normal 2 gang. I have messaged the seller and he is sending me a usb socket at the price of normal one as I can use the normal one.

• Like 16

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

On a happier note, I spotted an episode of "Yes Prime Minister" on BBC4 tonight.  My recorder is set. 

The umpteenth rerun is on PBS every Saturday night on PBS here - just as funny and even more relevant. :P

Brian.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, AndrewC said:

George the cat not well. His megacolon blocked again just after Christmas. £508 in vet bills so far. Looks like around £200/month in medicine for the rest of his life as well. 

Something no pet owner wants to learn.  But having a pet is like any other responsibility, they rely on you for their well being and if you care for them enough, you respond.  Its no good having a fair weather animal where everything is OK all the time; its when you are faced with situation like this which costs!  If you love him enough you'll go along with it!

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The umpteenth rerun is on PBS every Saturday night ...

I wish Oregon Public Broadcasting would show it. It is not in their programming. As long as I have lived here I haven't noticed them showing it. One of the weird aspects of PBS is how loosely related each member station is to the national distributor.

I was a big fan of "Yes Minister", but left Australia before "Yes Prime Minister" was aired. I don't think I have ever seen an episode. It is undetectable in the entirety of my cable system (using the 'search' feature).

(Yes I know it is available on DVD and, presumably, streaming.)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

He has also called for the execution of pharmacists for "crimes against humanity".  

Sounds like a testa di cazzo del primo ordine :laugh:  

In other news....

Bear phoned the Plasterer this evening to arrange start of work - lift-off is scheduled for next Wednesday :yahoo:  At this point the Beary Radar can detect gnashing of teeth from a certain young Pup...... :friends:

Tomorrow's fun sees removal of the remaining leccy socket in the lounge, plus the insulation and making safe of bare wiring so the Plasterer doesn't get fried;  never a good situation as it tends to delay the job somewhat - and the paperwork would be a PITA.....:laugh:  I also need to apply masking tape around the window frame to protect it from risk of scratches from the plasterer's trowel.  I'm sure there's other tasks but I haven't discovered them yet; some will need to wait until closer to start of work (such as taking the curtain rail down).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 09/01/2022 at 23:51, TheQ said:

... the meat aisles have shrunk tremendously.. It used to be an aisle each for pork, beef,  chicken, lamb. Now it's just two aisles for all fresh meat.. It's not a case of people choosing to go vegetarian, or premade they are just reducing the choice of meat all the time..

On 10/01/2022 at 01:54, PhilJ W said:

@TheQ I've noticed that the meat aisles are being 'shopped' more and that there are more ready meals on the reduced shelves. 

The US is currently experiencing shortages in supermarkets. Except for shopping ahead of snowstorms or hurricanes and all the toilet paper silliness two years ago, these used to be quite rare. Through the pandemic there were items that were occasionally unavailable. The pandemic and recent weather seem to be the major contributors.

I went shopping yesterday. (My second trip since before Christmas.) Locally the shelves are mostly well stocked - except for some specific items like cream cheese*, a popular brand of breakfast sausage and some ham which were on my list. (It's not like shelves were completely bare - just a handful of items were out of stock. This is not necessarily a big deal, but it is remarkable.)

* This can be sourced semi-locally but recent snowy weather might have resulted in fewer shipments. New York was all a-twitter over a shortage of cream cheese before the holidays. So much so that the national brand Philadelphia offered a limited number of customers a coupon to not make cheesecake for Christmas.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Something no pet owner wants to learn.  But having a pet is like any other responsibility, they rely on you for their well being and if you care for them enough, you respond.  Its no good having a fair weather animal where everything is OK all the time; its when you are faced with situation like this which costs!  If you love him enough you'll go along with it!

Brian.

What is very sad is when an owner really loves their furry friend but doesn't have the means to cover such bills - £200 a month (as an example), every month would be impossible for many owners, sadly :cry:

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had the full gamut of wildlife in the garden this evening. First the foxes making fox cubs, until they were disturbed by the muntjacs. It sounded like a full blown fight though it may well have been the foxes carrying on regardless. If it came to a fight my money would be on the muntjac.

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

What is very sad is when an owner really loves their furry friend but doesn't have the means to cover such bills - £200 a month (as an example), every month would be impossible for many owners, sadly :cry:

There's always the PDSA for people who can't afford the vet bills. Just as well we humans can depend on the NHS here in the UK despite its faults.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

So a good little break was enjoyed and I even took a few photos. 

29D4C52C-FFFC-46A7-AF93-EE41472D7678.jpeg.6b87f0c0b438fe7f32619a9773b03ae7.jpeg

Looks like there's mole problem there!

I seem to recall Jasper Carrot had a solution for moles  :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There's always the PDSA for people who can't afford the vet bills. Just as well we humans can depend on the NHS here in the UK despite its faults.

I've heard of the PDSA - I wonder if they have the resources to support regular (and significant) on-going fees though?

edit:  A theoretical question - and not directed at AndrewC's post above....:friends:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Looks like there's mole problem there!

I seem to recall Jasper Carrot had a solution for moles  :D

I seem to recall the following; a torch, swivel chair and a dodgy character prepared to let him borrow his twelve bore.

Personally I think he would have done better with his Labrador.

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

Regarding the cost factor, perhaps fewer TV rentals might be enough or do you really want another Netflix type streamer.  Sometimes it comes down to such choices.  I'd give the savings to George and feel good about it!:locomotive:

Brian

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

Odd weather today - dreary and a dark overcast but no precipitation after early rain. Despite relatively warmer (than average) temperatures the residual damp was penetrating. Temperatures continued to increase after sunset and it is now around 10°C.

Another atmospheric river is bringing rain, but to the north of here.

Tomorrow we are expecting a very unseasonable 14°C under cloudy skies.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14