Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The W.O. at work in charge of weapons handling collects videos of people doing dumb things with guns.

One that sticks in my mind shows a room full of middle eastern types sitting on a bench in a room. Man hands another man an AK-47 and that guy puts his hand across the end of the barrel I guess to stop the bullets from coming out and pulls the trigger. Result is messy for him and the guy beside him who cops the spray in his thigh.

Actually its amazing how many people forget bullets come out the end.

There was a guy who did something similar and won a Darwin award. He was robbing a bank at the time and he aimed at the ceiling but the gun failed to go off. So he looked down the barrel, pulled the trigger only this time the gun worked. :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 12

8 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But if it stops hundreds of cables being laid across public pavements in roads adjacent to properties that were never designed for everyone having a car let alone an electric one, it can't be all bad can it? :taunt:

Battery electric cars - they've really not thought this through .......

You can just see the ambulance chasing lawyers saying to the scrote, sorry meant to say innocent passerby, who 'accidentally' fell over the changing cable stretched across the pavement from the house sue them and I'll get you a nice little wedge once I've taken my cut of course.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just put some jeans in the washing machine. I now realise that I didn't check them for paper hankies. I can see white bits spinning around in the wash cycle. :banghead: Once they have dried I will have to give them a brush.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

On 19/02/2022 at 11:26, iL Dottore said:

But why they see a need for AK-47s is a bit beyond me. 

I was hoping we'd stop talking about firearms, it's a bit of a 'triggering' (pardon the pun) topic for me.

AK-47s are not legal in the US, at least not the fully automatic ones. Of course they find their way into collections and doubtless there are many of them. Much, much, more common are variants of the AR-15, legally semi-automatic, but I am given to understand that automatic conversions can be obtained. I routinely receive catalogues with all the parts* to build one of my own. (There is a 100,000 square foot sporting goods store, perhaps 20% of which is devoted to firearms, a short drive away.)

* Excepting the strictly illegal bits

The "justification" for such purchases falls in a spectrum between notional home defence and preparation for an imagined revolution.

People in the US are fed the myth of citizen soldiers, who banding together, overthrew a global superpower to obtain their liberty, and cling to notions like this, by Thomas Jefferson:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.

(Of course the revolution was won entirely through the participation of a rival global superpower in the form of Royal French sailors, soldiers, arms and materiel but a full understanding of that is deprecated.) Many arm up in anticipation of the next revolution, or a post-atomic/zombie/armed bands of the 'other'/whatever apocalypse.

History is a good guide for the fate of armed revolts against the US Government. None has succeeded. The very first one was subdued militarily by the commander-in-chief personally - one President/General George Washington in 1794.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

With a starting pistol it could be the paper wedding of the blank that causes the damage thats why when you see the Army on exercise they have the yellow blank firing attachment fitted as paper travelling at muzzle velocity would be like a stone.

Which is why things like 'rubber' bullets are now referred to as "less than lethal" rounds, even over "non-lethal".

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was hoping we'd stop talking about firearms, it's a bit of a 'triggering' (pardon the pun) topic for me.

AK-47s are not legal in the US, at least not the fully automatic ones. Of course they find their way into collections and doubtless there are many of them. Much, much, more common are variants of the AR-15, legally semi-automatic, but I am given to understand that automatic conversions can be obtained. I routinely receive catalogues with all the parts* to build one of my own. (There is a 100,000 square foot sporting goods store, perhaps 20% of which is devoted to firearms, a short drive away.)

* Excepting the strictly illegal bits

The "justification" for such purchases falls in a spectrum between notional home defence and preparation for an imagined revolution.

People in the US are fed the myth of citizen soldiers, who banding together, overthrew a global superpower to obtain their liberty, and cling to notions like this, by Thomas Jefferson:

(Of course the revolution was won entirely through the participation of a rival global superpower in the form of Royal French sailors, soldiers, arms and materiel but a full understanding of that is deprecated.) Many arm up in anticipation of the next revolution, or a post-atomic/zombie/armed bands of the 'other'/whatever apocalypse.

History is a good guide for the fate of armed revolts against the US Government. None has succeeded. The very first one was subdued militarily by the commander-in-chief personally - one President/General George Washington in 1794.

It is said that one third of the colonists supported the revolution, one third were royalists and the other third hoped that both sides would go nowhere near them (or their crops and businesses). A lot of the royalists moved to Canada after the revolution. Quite a few Americans moved to Canada in the early 19th century tempted by land grants. They suffered the most during the war of 1812 when the US attacked Canada thinking that the British would be too busy fighting Napoleon. The outcome was regarded as a draw but not before the British had attacked Washington DC and burnt down the White House.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They suffered the most during the war of 1812 when the US attacked Canada thinking that the British would be too busy fighting Napoleon.

It was much more muddied and confusing than that. Madison almost went to war with France instead of Great Britain but chose a land grab in British Canada instead.

The "Quasi-War" was a period of undeclared naval warfare between the US and the First French Republic between 1798 and 1800 during the Adams Administration. Tensions with the French remained during the Madison administration.

War is always tragic, but the hubris of British officers leading troops who had, by then, the upper hand over Napoleon were slaughtered by a vastly inferior force in New Orleans on January 8, 1815 after the Treaty of Ghent was signed on December 24, 1814, was particularly so. Sir Edward Packenham (brother-in-law of Wellington) and a Peninsular War veteran was killed leading the British attack at New Orleans.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

To all you car mechanics!:)  Both the side mirrors on my car will not hold the preset position to which they were adjusted.  The battery is good and after resetting they stay OK for quite a while.   Any ideas what I am letting myself in for before I take it to the repair shop with my credit card!:o

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just put some jeans in the washing machine. I now realise that I didn't check them for paper hankies. I can see white bits spinning around in the wash cycle. :banghead: Once they have dried I will have to give them a brush.

I've now emptied the washing machine. There was no paper hankie, just bits still there from last time the jeans were washed. Probably trapped in the pockets.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brianusa said:

To all you car mechanics!:)  Both the side mirrors on my car will not hold the preset position to which they were adjusted.  The battery is good and after resetting they stay OK for quite a while.   Any ideas what I am letting myself in for before I take it to the repair shop with my credit card!:o

Brian.

If you can unclip the mirrors do so and check the adjustment mechanism first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Both the side mirrors on my car will not hold the preset position to which they were adjusted.

Weird. After you start the car, can you set them and have them hold position until turning the car off?

Suggestive of a bad memory chip.

I noticed on Friday that my right hand side (passenger) window no longer functions.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Still quite windy out and we've had a few bouts of damp, very damp and extremely damp but it's dry at present.

Rugby watched and enjoyed. Even though my 2nd favourite team Exeter won it was a near thing and they were rather lucky.  Newcastle played out of their skins with only 14 men for most of the game and unusually for a losing side one of their players was deservedly Man of the Match. 

@polybear  Magnesium Sulphate paste has been in the GDB family First Aid Kit for as long as I can remember.  Brilliant stuff.  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

What do they do, go to some arbitrary position or the "Park/Closed" position?       What car is it and how old?    That might give a clue as to how the mirrors are driven; by discrete signals or are they on the Canbus?    Both failing in the same way would indeed suggest that there is a common fault.    

Some more information is needed I think before any useful help could be given.

Alan

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

All you need is a tree -

Really all we need is a viable solution to the global personal transport problem

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which is why things like 'rubber' bullets are now referred to as "less than lethal" rounds, even over "non-lethal".

Perhaps they should more accurately be called "Possibly lethal rounds" ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

.......and through Wagos for home and muddling use.

They're a new one on this Bear....they're not now.....:clapping:

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

But if it stops hundreds of cables being laid across public pavements in roads adjacent to properties that were never designed for everyone having a car let alone an electric one, it can't be all bad can it? :taunt:

Battery electric cars - they've really not thought this through .......

Well it seems that putting this fire out could be, er, "tricky".....

https://www.autonews.com/retail/towing-boats-head-toward-burning-cargo-ship-carrying-4000-vws-porsches-bentleys-audis-lambos

They're not sure if the cars started the fire, or the ship caught fire first.  One thing's for sure, if Bear ever has a leccy car in the future (and a house with a garage that's integral with the house) then the car won't be getting parked inside it....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

There...that.....book....play....film.....T-Shrt.....numerous times.....

:banghead:

20 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Google - and Youtube could well be your friend.....

In other news.....

Bear happened across this video on the 'tube that shows a workshop tour;  I can't quite put my paw on it**  but I keep coming back to it for some strange reason.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DK5-psBKfo

(** Boy, how I wish I could put my paws on it.......:laugh:)

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Oh look. I can finally post!  

I have no idea why but the reply window has refused to work all day in this topic alone.  It opens. There's no cursor.  Nothing will work.  Refreshing doesn't fix it.  But now it seems I can rejoin the fray.

Just in time to wish all aboard the Good Ship UK and in nearby coastal waters a Good Night.  Hang onto loose objects - it might be another bumpy ride.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

33 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Check the user manual/internets to see if there is a way to do a full reset, usually its hold down some button for some length of time or do that plus tapping some other obscure button 5 times or similar. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news.....

Bear happened across this video on the 'tube that shows a workshop tour;  I can't quite put my paw on it**  but I keep coming back to it for some strange reason.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DK5-psBKfo

(** Boy, how I wish I could put my paws on it.......:laugh:)

Theres a  sheila called Naomi Wu who does tech reviews - 3D printers. CNC tech, electric bikes etc.  She knows her stuff but she also knows what to wear to rack up the hits!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

They're not sure if the cars started the fire, or the ship caught fire first.  One thing's for sure, if Bear ever has a leccy car in the future (and a house with a garage that's integral with the house) then the car won't be getting parked inside it....

Hyundai/Kia have advised customers not to park several models* in their garages - though they are petrol powered.

* Mostly Santa Fe/Tucson SUVs. There are about 500,000 cars impacted.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Theres a  sheila called Naomi Wu who does tech reviews - 3D printers. CNC tech, electric bikes etc.  She knows her stuff but she also knows what to wear to rack up the hits!

Holy Moses.....:O.....

No wonder she's got 1.55m subscribers......

(Note to Puppers:  the ticker isn't up to it - don't go there......)

• Like 1
  • Funny 12