Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Woolwich ferry 1961.

Great video, brings back many memories, riding down to Woolwich on the pushbike and taking the ferry across to North Woolwich only difference being that trolleybuses (instead of the Routemasters) were still in operation north of the river.

Most of the time on board, as mentioned in the video, was spent watching what was going on in the engine room. The equipment down there was kept in immaculate condition. Never found out what was the purpose of the bit of fluff catching the pistons (or whatever they are called) every time they went round.

Keith

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also it'd be a bit embarrassing if you  got done in by an arrow that had a  pink fluffy thing on the end of it like in Neil's pic I reckon. It'd be like the archers are just having a laugh at your expense.

Indeed 😁

50 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

You can see the doinkers on Deb's bow here, the black things pointing forwards….

Mick's bow here has the silencers, 'Tribbles', on the bow string top and bottom.

As to why trees get hit - there is a clear shot here, but only just.  This sort of thing makes field archery so much more of a challenge than target, where they stand in one place and whack a load of arrows into a round target…

I note that all the bows pictured are short bows, nothing as long as traditional Welsh or English Yew longbow. I wonder if anyone has built a longbow using modern materials and technology and if they have, I also wonder what the penetrating power of such a bow at full draw would be like. I wonder if - militarily - a modern materials and technology longbow with explosive arrow heads would make any sense.

An interesting bit of military toxophilite trivia: it is claimed that the famous British V-sign derives from when the English, with their Welsh archers were fighting at the French. Apparently if an archer was captured by the French, they hacked off the first two fingers of his right hand, so that he could no longer draw a bow. Word of this practice got around, and when the English and Welsh archers faced the French they would make the V-gesture to show the French they were still had all their fingers and were ready and able to draw their bows.

Another interesting bit of military trivia from that time: at Agincourt the French had Arbalists (crossbow men) and - I’ve read that - in certain circles of the time the crossbow was regarded as a rather unsporting weapon and, if memory serves, at one point was banned by the Vatican (before the Reformation The Vatican was a bit schizophrenic about warfare: for example in mediaeval times the clergy - including the fighting bishops - were not allowed to “shed blood” , hence the invention of the morning-star and mace which could crush skulls without “shedding blood” and was Vatican approved. The mediaeval Vatican was certainly a very odd beast indeed).

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

..... The mediaeval Vatican was certainly a very odd beast indeed).

That's a tactful way of putting it!  

And today's 'did you know?' is that for a while during the 1300s, the Pope was based at Avignon. Rome became a bit iffy at the start of that century and the papacy relocated to a more des-res. Then later in the century, there was something of a split, with one pope in Rome and another in Avignon and a rare old argument about legitimacy. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

That's an excellent find Phil. Curious that they were side loading ferries and also curious that the engineer was in uniform rather than a boiler suit.  In the 1950s the RN built a number of diesel electric paddle tugs to handle the berthing of aircraft carriers. The separate drives to each paddle wheel made them far more manouverable and the paddles provided better braking than screws. 

The steam powered Woolwich ferries were replaced in 1963 by diesel electric vessels fitted with Voith Schneider Propellers which provide thrust in any direction so are widely used by both ferries and tugs. 

I saw the RN's diesel tugs  around Devonport in the 1960s when I think one of the Torpoint chain ferries was still steam powered.

The newest pair of ferries are fitted with a magnetic docking alignment thingy. It fails on a regular basis. Throw in the labour issues as well and the Woolwich Ferry is about as reliable as a bridge made of pasta. The new boats should last forever. No wear & tear being inflicted on them, that's for sure. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder if - militarily - a modern materials and technology longbow with explosive arrow heads would make any sense.

Rambo thought so.....

1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Never found out what was the purpose of the bit of fluff catching the pistons (or whatever they are called) every time they went round.

Oil impregnated fluff by any chance?

In other news.....

Wallpapering "on-going"; how many drops done?  Two.  In fairness to a sticky pawed Bear they're in a narrow, tricky alcove to the left of the chimney breast so much cutting, fettling and faffing around is involved.  Should be a lot faster from now on - for a while at least.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I was surprised at all the travel chaos news until I then realised the school holidays had started. I was totally unaware of this. I vaguely knew Easter was near the middle of April this year. There is a school nearby but we only hear children playing in the summer if our windows are open. Lack of odd parking outside our house by parents is the  only other giveaway. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Is there a canal big enough that goes to Bedford?

It is possible to navigate by boat to the Wash but I have no idea how deep or wide the Great Ouse is. I am sure someone on ER would know!

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

You can see the doinkers on Deb's bow here, the black things pointing forwards.

doinkers.jpg.83b4f036bda85c97efb2a8972f21cf8b.jpg

Mick's bow here has the silencers, 'Tribbles', on the bow string top and bottom.

t1.jpg.3e3344affce55b08dead4709d254bafe.jpg

As to why trees get hit - there is a clear shot here, but only just.  This sort of thing makes field archery so much more of a challenge than target, where they stand in one place and whack a load of arrows into a round target.

s1.jpg.c4599761d35bc33cf38b5f313a2b8642.jpg

@Winslow Boy if it is a healthy tree, they are really hard to get out, sometimes impossible.  There's a few around the glen!  That one yesterday was dead. (Edit - the tree, that is....😜).

I think there should be a campaign to shop archers thwacking arrows hither and dither into poor defenceless trees.

He says this donning a cullender and retiring swiftly to the bunker at the bottom of the garden as arrows start to thuddunk into the ground around Chateau Winslow.

• Funny 16

9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

We don't aim at the trees, its just that they jump in front of us sometimes.  Especially me....Mrs NHN is a miles better shot, I'm crepe due to an eyesight issue, but I enjoy trying.  The collander would protect you from me, but Debs would be able to get an arrow through the holes.

Oh so it's the trees fault is it. I suppose they leap out just an arrow goes whistling by do they.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is possible to navigate by boat to the Wash but I have no idea how deep or wide the Great Ouse is. I am sure someone on ER would know!

Doesn't have to sail all the way - a boat that size/expensive/ostentatious would certainly have it's own helicopter.

Now there's a thought, Chris with his own helipad. He'd overcome his occasional parking problems quite easily.

Edited by Coombe Barton
TYPOMAN's back!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

All posts since yesterday read and rated - it's a long time since I was able to say that.

Very strong email sent to my lender this morning, complaining about the way in which they mishandled the move.  No response yet, but I've got the CEO's email address, and will use it in anger quite soon.

We were due to have the boiler inspected and serviced today - got a call from the engineer to say "between two and four".  Got a call on my mobile to say we were out, and was he at the right address - I gave him our address, and it turned out that he was actually at our old address - Homeserve had changed our address on the policy, but not on the claims file, so the engineer had a wasted visit, and we were just angry. 

More boxes emptied again, and we also managed to get five of my guitars out of the loft where they had been stored as a temporary measure, and they will be up on the living room wall before the weekend.  Then it's a start on the railway books, a taks which I am really dreading, as they are all over the house.

Seems that we may have fallen on our feet with the medicals - we have got registered with an NHS dentist, who admittedly is 14 miles away, but is on a bus route from Ludlow, so if I have a raging toothache and can't drive, then I can get a bus.  And 30747 had a phone call from our new Dr about an ear condition which has been troubling her for some time, and which our last Dr sent a letter to our new one.  Saw the nurse practitioner this morning, and she has some serious wax - they have arranged for them to be hoovered out next week - something which her BIL and also her best friend could not get on the NHS, and both had to go private - hers is free on the NHS, and is in the evening as the surgery is open from 8 til 8 daily.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

4 hours ago, Kelly said:

…to get things like district nurse visits etc I need to register with Richard's gp. Fairly straightforward you would think. No,  it will take 14 working days and the form has to be handed in by me in person,  which they're refusing to budge on…

Jeez, Louise. Where did these incompetent clowns get their professional qualifications? At a BOGOF offer at Aldi?

I am utterly gobsmacked by their attitude, whatever happened to the concept of primum, non nocere? Or to the idea that patients are there to be treated instead of being regarded as inconveniences? Do you have the name of the jobsworth insisting you have to hand the document over personally? Can a complaint be made to an ombudsman or a professional body?

My GP friend is utterly appalled by this sort of thing and says it has nothing to do with funding and everything to do with having a patient-centric practice (and he should know, having been a GP for over 30 years in Switzerland).

1 hour ago, Kelly said:

To cheer the topic a bit here's poppy happily snoring away next to me. It is weirdly rotated however. 20220404_162549.jpg.d22090db0a7809fe1b2dbb6f795d18f1.jpg

(my italics) Actually, I thought that was a normally rotated photograph and that Poppy, like Lucy, likes sleeping in the most absurd and seemingly uncomfortable positions. For example, before Lucy curls up at my feet in bed, she likes to have a doze with her head hanging over the footboard of the bed. It doesn’t look comfortable at all, but she seems to be happy and relaxed.

And to marry the topic of physiotherapy and dogs together, I have to recount that after one of my later knee surgeries I had to do daily exercises strapped into a machine which contracted and extended my leg. This I had to do lying on the bed and I was frequently joined by Lucy (never by Schotty) lying next to me on the bed and who seemed to enjoy watching me undergoing this machine powered physiotherapy.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Evening All,

All posts since yesterday read and rated - it's a long time since I was able to say that.

Very strong email sent to my lender this morning, complaining about the way in which they mishandled the move.  No response yet, but I've got the CEO's email address, and will use it in anger quite soon.

We were due to have the boiler inspected and serviced today - got a call from the engineer to say "between two and four".  Got a call on my mobile to say we were out, and was he at the right address - I gave him our address, and it turned out that he was actually at our old address - Homeserve had changed our address on the policy, but not on the claims file, so the engineer had a wasted visit, and we were just angry. 

More boxes emptied again, and we also managed to get five of my guitars out of the loft where they had been stored as a temporary measure, and they will be up on the living room wall before the weekend.  Then it's a start on the railway books, a taks which I am really dreading, as they are all over the house.

Seems that we may have fallen on our feet with the medicals - we have got registered with an NHS dentist, who admittedly is 14 miles away, but is on a bus route from Ludlow, so if I have a raging toothache and can't drive, then I can get a bus.  And 30747 had a phone call from our new Dr about an ear condition which has been troubling her for some time, and which our last Dr sent a letter to our new one.  Saw the nurse practitioner this morning, and she has some serious wax - they have arranged for them to be hoovered out next week - something which her BIL and also her best friend could not get on the NHS, and both had to go private - hers is free on the NHS, and is in the evening as the surgery is open from 8 til 8 daily.

Regards to All

Stewart

Ear wax hoovering - does anyone know why most medical practices now refuse to do this on the NHS - and what is their justification / authority for adopting such a policy?

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am utterly gobsmacked by their attitude, whatever happened to the concept of primum, non nocere? Or to the idea that patients are there to be treated instead of being regarded as inconveniences? Do have the name of the jobsworth insisting you have to hand the document over personally? Can a complaint be made to an ombudsman or a professional body?

I suspect that the reason for requiring the potential patient to attend with their paperwork is because doctors practices have to be unpaid immigration officers as do employers employing someone. You have to prove you are entitled to NHS treatment or in the case of employer/employee entitled to work. Expecting someone attempting to register to attend who can’t move is ridiculous. I’ll ask the doctors in the family what their practices would do. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5