The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear could never understand why a "little guy" would go in the ring against him - it was only a matter of time before they got "splashed" and it's a miracle none of them were ever killed by it.  Or were they.....? 

I had long since realised it was all rehearsed  by 1971, then we moved to the Hebrides where you got only black and white BBC1 badly so 71 was the last time I saw TV wrestling.

By 1975 I was on a work course in MK, where we were attending a fete, the company had some sort of self advertising stall there. So we we're in early, we could see into a wrestling tent and they were busy rehearsing their moves..

Undoubtedly there were injuries but mostly in practice...

I liked mash, but the odd occasion transmitted with the laughter track would make that episode unwatchable..

Mooring Awl,

6 1/2 hours sleep and then a lot of dozing , so a reasonably good nights sleep.

Ben the I want out Collie summoned me for patrol, still all blue skies like yesterday, have meant a light frost on the most prone area..  he's back snoring in his bed..

I'd never chosen to use a self service until our trip to GY a couple of days ago. We went in a Poundland , the served tills were unmanned, they would only help you through the self service.

No wind at the moment, but we are promised a 15 mph southerly later, this going with low tide at 08:00, so getting up to the broad will be easy. They are trying a new starting sequence today, class  flag at 6 minutes, preparatory flag at 3 minutes, start at zero, this means Blue Moon's first start is at the strange time of 10:42. Previously we'd always used 10s and 5s... They then have 3 back to back races. With no break for lunch, returning to the club house for a late lunch and social event.

Black Horse Broad is closed for the winter, then opens for Easter two weeks then closes till the May bank holiday when it opens until October. With a late ish Easter I doubt they'll bother closing it this year.

Its a different type of sailing in the open waters of the broad, no dodging tourists, only occasionally having to tack off the bank. Much more concentrating on choice of course, to gain as much as you can from the wind, much more on tactics against the other boats..

Time to think of a light breakfast, I have to leave room for a bacon butty at the club..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all

Shortly I will be off to Ormesby Hall where I volunteer for the National Trust.  Ormesby is unique among national trust properties in that it  has model railways and  my role there involves operating one of these  and describing it to the public.   Why mention this?  Well, our main layout was donated to us by its builder, a man called Ron Rising, who  modelled some of the  buildings on Pendon.  @chrisf’s  visit there reminded me of this.  Ron duplicated some of his Pendon buildings on this layout and the rest are all to a similar standard.  It is a thing of beauty which I feel privileged to be able to operate and talk about.   We are a bit out of the way for many here but if ever you are passing and get the chance, it is well worth a visit.  

Enough of model railways.  Have a good day, I know I will.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Absolutely!  Such humans are skilled in the use of a till, unlike some customers.

Something that bugs me is the increasing reluctance of some retail outlets to accept cash.  Insistence on payment by card is all very well but it strikes me as ridiculous where only a small item is procured - a cup of tea, for instance.  Another increasing reluctance which bugs me is that of retailers to issue receipts for card transactions.  How are card users supposed to keep track of their spending without evidence?  Maybe today's card user blithely accepts what the statement proclaims without bothering to check it.  The opportunity for fraud should be glaringly obvious!

Chris

Bear must admit to using cards wherever possible - for me it cuts out the need to visit cash points; I find it a lot easier - and safer - to use the card at the retailer instead.  I also collect BA Airmiles on one card (an Amex) - though some retailers (including big ones such as Wilko and Home Bargains) won't accept it cos' they're reputed to be expensive for the retailer and slow at paying up.

As for CC Receipts, I always get one so I don't miss out on the monthly fun of ticking off every purchase on the Statement vs. the receipt slip.  What joy.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

However, like today, most of US TV’s output was basically dire - verging on the unwatchable (Dukes of Hazzard anyone?). 

DoH?  Oh yes, and not only for the lovely Daisy either 😍  No idea how many Dodge Chargers got wrecked, but by today's valuations an awful lot of money's worth.

I actually had a Charger as a hire car in Kuwait just a few years ago, though sadly without the paint job - or Daisy (I believe the owner of THE Original Car from the series has since had the flag painted out as being no longer P.C.).  At least the doors weren't welded up.  It certainly got a wriggle on (I used to play "get the ar5e hangin' out" at numerous traffic lights that required U-Turns; the Auto Transmission kick-down was soooooo slooooow it was almost painful though.  ISTR that fuel out there was 6p a Litre, plus The Great Empire was paying.

Bear here.....

First job of the day is to scout the gardens of Bear Towers to see if The Easter Bunny has been kind to a Bear totally bereft of Easter Eggs, though I'm not holding out much hope.  Perhaps @The White Rabbit could have a word and pull a few strings?

Then it's back to the lounge again - walls to fill, walls to prime, possibly walls to paper (though that last one may fall to tomorrow).  I also have holes to drill (sorry nearly new neighbours...) for the air vent grill etc..  I also have lots and lots of dado rail to sand.  Oh joy.

Bear's News of the Day:

Guaranteed to get even the most placid of Supervillains reaching for the most painful of weapons and mobilising all Minions for an all-out attack:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/dodgy-scots-dog-breeders-creating-frankenstein-puppies-worth-40-000-in-amateur-labs/ar-AAWiolR?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1007f8d3faad4470ad9caefe1f1ab5f3

But a little something to put a smile on the face:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-55884236

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

AEy up!

Enjoy your day BoD and pass on my regards to your fellow operators please! 

Youngest Herbert scored 79 runs  yesterday and was mentioned in despatches. The team he plays in..Pudsey Congs, won do he is a happy Herbert!

I will use self service tills as the queues for the other checkouts are generally long and slow moving. One person protest which cause the self checkout queues to stretch get a big nono from me. 

I have loads of cricket emails to respond to so..Time for my mugatea and breakfast!

Enjoy today!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's News of the Day:

Guaranteed to get even the most placid of Supervillains reaching for the most painful of weapons and mobilising all Minions for an all-out attack:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/dodgy-scots-dog-breeders-creating-frankenstein-puppies-worth-40-000-in-amateur-labs/ar-AAWiolR?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1007f8d3faad4470ad9caefe1f1ab5f3

Nailed it one, Bear.

Where’s PETA when they truly are needed.

It’s a pity that “for legal reasons” these people can’t be named (and shamed). A gangland “hit” on these individuals would not dismay me in the least…

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Shortly I will be off to Ormesby Hall where I volunteer for the National Trust.  Ormesby is unique among national trust properties in that it  has model railways and  my role there involves operating one of these  and describing it to the public.  

You comment above sent me to my National Trust handbook - to start with I couldn't even find Ormesby Hall as they claim it isn't in the "North East" as I expected, but is actually in a county called "Yorkshire" - to save anyone else the trouble, the description is on page 352 - but I was disappointed to find no reference there to the model railway(s). There is a brief mention of a model railway collection on the website but nothing to say what's there or why.

I hope you enjoy your day - we were last in your area a couple of years ago and this year we have already been to Anglesey, and have further trips planned to The Lakes and the South Coast so it might be a year or two before we can visit - however now I know about the collection, Ormesby is on the list.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

DoH?  Oh yes, and not only for the lovely Daisy either 😍  No idea how many Dodge Chargers got wrecked, but by today's valuations an awful lot of money's worth.

Found via Google .

Although the estimated number of General Lees used varies from different sources, according to former cast member Ben Jones ("Cooter" in the show), as well as builders involved with the show, 325 General Lees were used to film the series. Others claim about 255 were used in the series. Approximately 17 originals still exist, although in various states of repair. On average, more than one General Lee was used up per show.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all and a Happy Easter. For those who share belief Hallelujah - He is risen. 

In other news I have been presented with a sustainably-packaged box of goo-filled chocolate eggs. About time the foil was done away with and a serious effort made to match marketing with environmental credentials. I also understand the contents are responsibly-sourced.  

5A218781-025A-4DAB-B155-D7BF8497E245.jpeg.cfaf25140dc98884a37fe33939526426.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Up a little later than planned, so I went straight outside and started working in the garden. My first task was to clear the patio and then apply some cleaner to it to get rid of the moss. Then I lifted and divided some geraniums, leaving 1 clump in its original place and 3 more were relocated. The the bird feeders were cleaned and refilled. I'm now having a rest on the bench under the workshop window having a well earned muggertea listening to the workshop stereo. Bliss. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17

Afternoon all

The small Asda near us is mainly self service tills the bug bear with me is when stuff scans then it decides to play silly bu99ers and come out with "surprising item in bagging area" there is nowt surprising.

I refuse to use self scan in Morrisons as their machines are carp.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Just for P Bear....

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hmmmm!  Naughty cakes!

@New Haven Neilyou are very naughty with temptations like that!🤣

A Manx diplomatic move to spoil us?

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I will raise you a home made Bakewell tart(not pudding), so much tastier than a LDC and less sugar too, though it won't be around for long.

And potentially an undiplomatic move - https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/apr/17/flapjacks-too-chewy-taxed-cakes-judges-rule-glanbia-milk - shades of the Jaffa Cake case. Whilst I accept flapjacks may not be classed as a cake, I wonder what they would be classed as? And I certainly disagree with the comment about them not being served for afternoon tea. Where do these judges go for afternoon tea? It's not something I get invited to very often but those I have been have ranged from a [farmhouse style] tea to a dentist's dream, with all manner of 'sweet stuff' on plates. In both cases, flapjacks and bakewell tart have been on the menu. Still, no-one asked me... maybe my opinions are too controversial? 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

We have taken the opportunity of nice weather to have another day in the garden grass cut the path and decking blown/vacced off. Loads of dandelions dug out and area reseeded with grass seed.

I have given the box trees some buxus feed

I have left some dandelions for the bees and other pollinators 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

First job of the day is to scout the gardens of Bear Towers to see if The Easter Bunny has been kind to a Bear totally bereft of Easter Eggs, though I'm not holding out much hope.  Perhaps @The White Rabbit could have a word and pull a few strings?

Ah... yes. Well... actually, she and I are not on what you might call speaking terms right now. There was a slight misunderstanding about a social engagement - a tea-party actually - she wanted me to use my influence to get her an invite, trouble was she rubbed our host up the wrong way and had to make a hasty exit. Typical female, she blamed me, despite paw-twisting me for the invite, as our host was royalty and others at the party were in such good social standing. If only she'd have known our host was a ruthless sadistic maniac, with a penchant for ordering executions at the drop of a hat (or even when a hatter dropped something), she'd never have come, blah, blah, blah... And when I pointed out she still had her head on her shoulders, thanks to me smuggling her out disguised as the March Hare, she really lost her temper...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps you should check how PETA operate their animal shelters?

I had to look at that up, not being terribly familiar with PETA’s practices (apart from some of the more outrageous stunts).

I am utterly appalled: they certainly run the Vernichtungslager of the animal shelter system. There are plenty of animal shelters operating in the US (and elsewhere) that take in hopeless animal cases without resorting to euthanising them upon arrival, many of such no-kill shelters have a high success rate in rehabilitating and rehoming “problem” dogs.

In the PETA ideology, there should be no pets, but I had no idea that this also means exterminating them. Ideology taken to extremes led to the einsatzgruppen and it looks like PETA has created their own einstazgruppen to deal with the “pet problem”

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I spent more than I intended to at the swapmeet. I drew out a hundred modelling tokens and they were all spent and more by the time we'd left. Biggest cost was a hand made limited edition model of FRM1, the only rear engined Routemaster. I know that £45 is a lot for a model bus is a bit steep but that is a bargain. But then the day was spoilt by the car breaking down a couple of miles from home, clutch gone so the car is immoveable and had to be towed home by the RAC. I won't be able to get it fixed until Tuesday at the earliest.

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

"surprising item in bagging area"

Blame Tolkien for this. Near the end of The Hobbit (the book) Bilbo comes home to find the Sackville-Bagginses in his house. 

That was an unexpected item in the Baggins area.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the Sailing Club, well dinner was waiting when I got home so I've had that as well.

Three races today, one after the other, they started the next race as the previous race finished.

I was generally pleased with the way Blue moon worked.

We were first or joint first to the first buoy in all three races.

Unfortunately we loose badly going down wind. I can't get jib to goosewing, it just won't stay out. Further research is needed on that one.

A glass of red is being consumed, will I finish it before eyelid inspection is the question...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1