RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:
13 hours ago, Adam88 said:

What colour are you going to paint Alexa?

image.png.2e91699dcecd6c8c4c9541e5868cbb9a.png

Those little gold pants just don't suit her 🤣🤪😇

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Good moaning from the boring borough. 

...snip... A spring party with new beer launch at a brewery, or a Mexican day complete with mariachi band at a local(ish) micro pub. hmmmm.

Go for the "new beer launch at a brewery"; you can always at any time tune in some Herb Alpert stuff!

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip...

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its Pixies first birthday if that helps!

Helped this Bear..... ...snip...

Brought some moisture to my eyes, also.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morning all 

We have had a terrible time in the past painting over fresh plaster albeit with a coat of magnolia on it the wall just sucks the paint In requiring 2 or 3 coats.

For the spare bedroom I used Everbuild filler coat as a base and the magnolia was covered in one coat only problem was that it did smell a bit you definatley have to have a window open 

Being a Yorkshireman, I just use wallpaper paste. Much cheaper. 😋

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Being a Yorkshireman, I just use wallpaper paste. Much cheaper. 😋

Hmmm, I have had some food that tasted like and looked like what I imagined wallpaper paste would taste like!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit grey and overcast and consequently cooler but predicted to be warmer on bank holiday Monday.

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

Today's Faceache discussion on the village group (in which I am but a passive bystander)  concerns the incessant barking of a number of nearby dogs.   Now, I appreciate that we have a fair smattering of dog lovers in ER but I have to admit to not being one of them.   The inconsiderate owners that live close by that seem to think it is socially acceptable AND acceptable for the well being of the animals concerned to have them barking sometimes for hours on end IMVHO need a serious "talking to" and removal of said animals (and not only for the welfare of said animals).

Alan

Are you sure its dogs barking? We had similar complaints on our Farcebook group but it turned out to be these.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndrewC said:

When we had the whole house refurbished 4 years ago (bloody hell has time flown) we decided to do the painting ourselves. Mainly because the builder hated painting and would have hired another to do it at a hefty mark up. Anyway the whole house had fresh plaster so painting should have been easy. It wasn't. Even with a coat of pva followed by a plain under coat of white, the top coat of colour was bloody awful to put down. We used a few custom matched colours from the orange place. Valspar paint is crap. There, I've said it. Goes on poorly and wears poorly. The office, hallway, and stairway all need a refresh already. The slightest knock and the paint seems to rub off back to the white undercoat.

Rule One:

Never PVA a wall before painting - all it does is make the paint sit on the surface of the PVA rather than soak into the plaster and get a good grip.  The first paint coat should be a mist coat - thinned with something like 20% water (this varies depending on the manufacturer and if it's the cr@p aimed at the DIY market & sold by the sheds, or the decent stuff aimed at the trade market).  Not all Dulux is the same....

Unfortunately once the PVA's there it's a bit difficult to undo it.

There's plenty on the 'net about PVA and painting - or rather, not....

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morning all 

We have had a terrible time in the past painting over fresh plaster albeit with a coat of magnolia on it the wall just sucks the paint In requiring 2 or 3 coats.

See above.  Did you mist coat the wall first, and did you use Trade Paint?  Bear suspects not to at least one of those questions.

That's why a certain Bear got shafted for a hundred and fifty quid for paint yesterday.....

Bear here.....

Bush trimmed, a couple of front garden borders tidied and one hedge trimmed using one of those Bosch single-pawed rechargeable jobbies - the first time I've used it for a complete hedge; it won't replace a proper cut using a hedge trimmer but it certainly looks a hell of a lot tidier and gives a certain Bear some slack before it'll need doing thoroughly.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Try this one then, released to celebrate Australia reopening after 2 years behind our drawbridge.

Nah, rubbish.  No Drop Bears.  We want Drop Bears.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

BIN day. Wow! Already!!

Sorted the BINs last night before I went to see my friends' concert. Great to see him again, and hopefully, given the two singers are planning on recording some more new stuff, he's saying he'll return here more often. Pity the Mrs missed it, but it was recorded A/V so should be available for "everyone".

Today, more tending the Mrs, Jemma coming over to get Whitney later, and I'll be off to choir rehearsal this evening.

About it, short-line just rolled by, only 11 cars today.

On spray painting interiors: Another MAJOR factor is that simple taping, such as when you brush/roller paint, IS NOT ENOUGH. You literally have to seal every possible escape route for the spray otherwise you'll find the dreaded overspray finding its way to almost every corner of the house. NOT from personal experience but witnessed that result elsewhere 🤯

Weather continues to be pathetic, 2 first thing, 10 the high, overcast and 50% chance or pluie <pah>

Onward.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Are you sure its dogs barking? We had similar complaints on our Farcebook group but it turned out to be these.

What's  the chance of one of them being an Alsatian Muntjac in the bungalow 3 doors up I wonder?

No, Phil, it and others are definitely dogs!

Alan

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of talk, lately, on reburbishing, paint, and colour, etc. This, eventually, reminded me of one of my howlers.

Looking online.for a good sturdy, soft and warm on the feet, vinyl for the kitchen floor, it came to choosing an overall colour. Once decided, a sample was ordered and received and it was not the colour it looked on screen - it had obviously been tweaked. Not to worry. Ok, it was lighter so, matched rather than contrasted with the colour of the ash cupboards...

The colour is fine...

BUT...

The roll of vinyl, laid out on the floor, looked as if it belonged in an old outhouse. GRUBBY to say the least...and I’m stuck with it! No amount of cleaning gets it looking “clean”.

😂 😪 😪
232C487C-BF89-4E3C-ADF3-EFCEEEFE2F2B.jpeg.5a68d286c7e58f2ab1af3791f152fad4.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

BIN day. Wow! Already!

Yeah. Tell me about it. Another seven days of my allowance have gone. Not sure where. 

Sometimes it feels like an age from bedtime to bedtime; sometimes I can’t seem to get enough done to keep up. 

But bin day it is and the Big Black Bag must be filled and presented to Captain Wheelie in order to be collected second thing in the morning. 

First thing is the alarm, preparation and exiting into the dawn in order to safely get thousands of others where they are going. Probably tens of thousands by now. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TheQ said:

image.png.2e91699dcecd6c8c4c9541e5868cbb9a.png

remember for that one medics had to be around to ensure 'life remained' because the skin could not function properly - forgot the real reason but was it Shirley Eaton in one of the Bon movies?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

32 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

remember for that one medics had to be around to ensure 'life remained' because the skin could not function properly - forgot the real reason but was it Shirley Eaton in one of the Bon movies?

It was Goldfinger, I believe they wrongly said in the film that the paint had stopped the skin from being able to breathe.

I am sure Flavio will confirm the possibility 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Well it's remained cold here all day no sign of the Sun just wall to wall depressing grey cloud no wind certainly no rain to save me from watering the plants.

I can feel the black dog banging against the kennel door to get out. I am desperately trying to keep it latched. It's the Weekend soon so some jobs crossed off the list may improve things.

@polybear I didn't use trade paint but the original magnolia was Crown trade Matt because i got the builders to fill a coffee jar with some in case we needed to touch up. I assume they will have applied by roller.

As I said in an earlier missive since using the base coat Wickes emulsion covered in one coat 

I did use crown trade on the woodwork as mentioned before 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

35 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I believe they wrongly said in the film that the paint had stopped the skin from being able to breathe.

They *should* have just said it was a poisonous paint - with the lead content (not to mention other metals in pigments) it wouldn't have been too far from the truth back in those days.

Maybe that was thought to be over the top by the screenwriters. They hadn't heard of lethally toxic undies back then. (The umbrella gun assassination didn't happen until 1978.)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I didn't use trade paint

And on one occasion neither did I.  

Perusing the selection in a store better known for its Help Yourself Pick 'n' Mix sweeties I came across a white emulsion which was called "Trade Paint".  It was cheaper than the Dulux next door.  I ought to have known better.  

A fairly urgent repaint of a former house-mate's room was required between tenancies.  The outgoing (for which read non-paying and therefore evicted) oik had "decorated" her room, which was supposed to remain plain white paint, with images of bondage applied , as we learned, in oils which took a fair bit of rubbing back.  Enter the Gwiwer with a can of "Trade Paint" white emulsion with which to cover the remains of the offending material and present a fresh appearance to the new guest who was expected within days.  

Upon opening the paint it became obvious that the liquid waste of a small biting insect would have been a better bet.  It was ridiculously thin, closer to the consistency of water than milk and nowhere near a proper emulsion.  It's what we had so we carried on.  It took four coats before the tin was used up.  It didn't cover anything.  It turns out that "Trade Paint" (capital T and P) was merely a brand name for someone's el-cheapo substance and it was not at all "trade paint" (small t and p).  

Alternative supplies were hastily procured from a more suitable, and rather more expensive, source and a single coat of proper jelly-like emulsion did the trick.  

Lessons learned:-

1.  Never allow house-mates to use oil paints on their walls and

2.  If it seems too cheap there's a reason for that.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

So is it me or do bluebells seem particularly vivid this year?

They seem to be much more of blue almost violet in colour. I did think that it was because of where they were, in woodland but no even in sunshine they are the same.

IMG_20220428_112841.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

All these stories about the poor quality of DIY paints from the big box DIY stores just continues to underline my assertion that “if you’ve gotta go, you’ve gotta go pro“. Materials and equipment made for the professional (“trade“) market is just so, so much better than anything produced for the DIY or domestic customer. 

A good example of this was when the carpenters were installing the cupboards in the bathroom several years back; they were attaching the side panels with what appeared to be double sided tape.

Horrified at this use of what I assumed was sub standard materials I remonstrated with the carpenter, he just smiled and said look at this: he put two pieces of scrap wood together, one end unsupported, using the tape. He then jumped up and down on the two pieces of scrap wood (and he was not a tiny fellow) the wood broke but the joint made with the double sided tape did not!

That’s why “you’ve gotta go pro”.

In regards to whether or not covering your entire body in gold paint, without leaving a small place for the skin to breathe through, will kill you - I think it might be an urban legend, but I’d have to leaf through some references to check. What I can say right now is that gold, per se, is not toxic (and it is in fact used in many implants put into the human body) but it is probable that the solvents, diluents and carrier liquids used to make gold paint are, to a greater or lesser extent, toxic.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In best Clarkson voice:

"It's not the polybear, but it is the polybear's Austwalian cousin"..

image.png.0fa69f535fb845ecc9d1b54437f15c22.png

A fine example of the Lesser-spotted Sabre-toothed Drop Bear.  Evil little b'sterds, best avoid at all costs.

4 hours ago, southern42 said:

The colour is fine...

BUT...

The roll of vinyl, laid out on the floor, looked as if it belonged in an old outhouse. GRUBBY to say the least...and I’m stuck with it! No amount of cleaning gets it looking “clean”.

😂 😪 😪
232C487C-BF89-4E3C-ADF3-EFCEEEFE2F2B.jpeg.5a68d286c7e58f2ab1af3791f152fad4.jpeg

SBT's.....

To this Bear it has a "Farmhouse Kitchen appearance to it and to my taste looks ok - but it's your kitchen and if you're disappointed 😢

34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A good example of this was when the carpenters were installing the cupboards in the bathroom several years back; they were attaching the side panels with what appeared to be double sided tape.

Horrified at this use of what I assumed was sub standard materials I remonstrated with the carpenter, he just smiled and said look at this: he put two pieces of scrap wood together, one end unsupported, using the tape. He then jumped up and down on the two pieces of scrap wood (and he was not a tiny fellow) the wood broke but the joint made with the double sided tape did not!

But did iD get the name of this wonderful sticky tape?  We need to know....

Bear here.....

An afternoon of bits n' pieces, followed by an evening with the Gang at the M.E. Class; all Paws intact and nothing screwed up - though a certain drill bit did lose the battle whilst drilling a particularly hard piece of 3/16" steel strip that turned out to be stainless.  Oops.

And when Bear got home 15L of paint had been delivered to nearly new neighbours next door.  Looks like Bear's B/H weekend has been planned out.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

And on one occasion neither did I.  

Perusing the selection in a store better known for its Help Yourself Pick 'n' Mix sweeties I came across a white emulsion which was called "Trade Paint".  It was cheaper than the Dulux next door.  I ought to have known better.  

A fairly urgent repaint of a former house-mate's room was required between tenancies.  The outgoing (for which read non-paying and therefore evicted) oik had "decorated" her room, which was supposed to remain plain white paint, with images of bondage applied , as we learned, in oils which took a fair bit of rubbing back.  Enter the Gwiwer with a can of "Trade Paint" white emulsion with which to cover the remains of the offending material and present a fresh appearance to the new guest who was expected within days.  

Upon opening the paint it became obvious that the liquid waste of a small biting insect would have been a better bet.  It was ridiculously thin, closer to the consistency of water than milk and nowhere near a proper emulsion.  It's what we had so we carried on.  It took four coats before the tin was used up.  It didn't cover anything.  It turns out that "Trade Paint" (capital T and P) was merely a brand name for someone's el-cheapo substance and it was not at all "trade paint" (small t and p).  

Alternative supplies were hastily procured from a more suitable, and rather more expensive, source and a single coat of proper jelly-like emulsion did the trick.  

Lessons learned:-

1.  Never allow house-mates to use oil paints on their walls and

2.  If it seems too cheap there's a reason for that.

I think we've all been caught out like that at some point or other.  In my case it was so thin it trickled off the bush, ran down to my elbow and dripped onto the floor.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11