Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

The ‘modern’ way ( electronic) of dealing with passports is anything but, and it seems a number of people are now employed to show just about everyone how to use the machine!

Matthew was at Stansted  in the passport machine queue. Something went wrong and everyone had to step back from the machines.  The woman in the one next to Matthew looked very anxious and seemed to think it was her passport. Matthew gathered she was Polish and explained (he was pleased to put his conversational Polish lessons to some use) it was a technical fault and someone was coming to sort it and not to worry. Another person waiting decided to harangue them for “not speaking English, in England”. I suspect he didn’t expect the very English response he got.

• Like 8
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Sis wished me a Happy Sunny Day...

However, it’s been a Misty Moisty Morning here.

This might get you going, though - one of my all time favourites.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

Hedge cut.  Tick.  Front lawn cut.  Tick

Enemy strikes on the Bearmobile? Five - plus another on the wheelie bin lid and one on the window ledge (that last one was a left-over from yesterday).  All now cleaned off.  B'sterds.

Right, din dins to ponder.  I do hear the call of a Pizza, but am trying to resist;  I heard from a neighbour that the local village Post Office (who are planning a side-line in takeaway scoff, to include Pizzas) have just had that side of the business delayed - it seems that the fancy Italian Commercial Pizza Oven arrived but was too big to fit - so has been sent back to Italy to be adjusted (or replaced).  That'll take 3 months, apparently.....

Will a certain Bear sample their wares?  Well I suspect such a take-away will see off the best part of a tenner(?) or more, whilst Bear's favourite pizza from the Co-op is three quid (often cheaper when on offer) plus 20 minutes of leccy.  Not a hard decision.....

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

My contribution to May themed music will be in my blog today and tomorrow.

Anything by Queen, pretty much 🤣

9789318C-FA26-4382-96AA-274E84CBE73D.jpeg.43281741e7a4cca5dc58771d06029fad.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

Hedge cut.  Tick.  Front lawn cut.  Tick

Enemy strikes on the Bearmobile? Five - plus another on the wheelie bin lid and one on the window ledge (that last one was a left-over from yesterday).  All now cleaned off.  B'sterds.

Don't be too hard on them. They're dinosaurs after all and part of the same therapod branch of dinos. as T. Rex and velociraptors that would have had a small bear for elevenses. A little guano is nothing! 

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

4 hours ago, polybear said:

plus another on the wheelie bin lid 

When they learn how to open your bin  and 6 arrive and toss the bags on to your lawn and go through them looking for pizza to eat then pick up random rubbish maybe an egg carton say and start a fight because they all want it and so screech like banshees for 5 minutes  then all fly off leaving the place looking like Glastonbury after the crowd has gone home  like they do here only then will you have  earned a little heart emoji

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, BlackRat said:

The ‘modern’ way ( electronic) of dealing with passports is anything but, and it seems a number of people are now employed to show just about everyone how to use the machine!

A while ago we were in a big queue at Immigration in the airport. All chaos at the electronic processing so someone was coming along telling people how the system was supposed to be operated. She told me it would work better if I took my glasses off, to which I replied "Then I won't be able to read the instructions on the screen." She marched us straight over to the gate where they were doing manual checks and completely bypassed the big queue. 

Another useful ruse at airports which sadly they are now too big for is a grandchild in a buggy. I found that we normally got ushered through an unmarked VIP Channel and straight up to a scanner in security when travelling a few years ago.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

My passport has run out and unless I win a lot of millions so I can go filming Wolves and Rattlesnakes in Yellowstone I doubt I will be going through customs ever again, far too many places in the UK that i wish to visit or re-visit.

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning/Afternoon from Estuary-Land. I'm not sure whats happening but I have made several posts since RMW came back just past noon and they have all disappeared together with the ratings I gave. In fact its gone back to when it came back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The removal of the tomatoes (the testicles of the devil) and the substitution of egg and black pudding is a culinary master stroke worthy of the highest accolades. Furthermore, by the wilful omission of baked beans from this breakfast pastry recipe, @PhilJ W  has, in my humble opinion, earnt himself a permanent Michelin star.
Once I have restocked my currently non-existent supplies of black pudding during my next business trip to London, I shall set about recreating @PhilJ W recipe.

Actually that was a tongue in cheek comment. However it could be done but the egg would have to be scrambled and the other components at least half cooked. Also the pastry case ends would have to be folded over to make a parcel to prevent the contents drying out and/or burning while being baked. It could also be eaten hot or cold.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of full English breakfasts, what do you think of adding mushrooms to it? Mushrooms (and all fungi) are not vegetables and in fact fungi DNA has more in common with animals than vegetables.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning/Afternoon from Estuary-Land. I'm not sure whats happening but I have made several posts since RMW came back just past noon and they have all disappeared together with the ratings I gave. In fact its gone back to when it came back.

Yes, I've had the same problem, all my ratings from earlier and a post as well has disappeared. So I'm not going to re post, mainly as I can't remember exactly what I said. 

Ho hum, Brian 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

On the subject of full English breakfasts, what do you think of adding mushrooms to it? Mushrooms (and all fungi) are not vegetables and in fact fungi DNA has more in common with animals than vegetables.

Mushrooms contain a lot of water, but what you can do is roughly chop them, then sweat them in a little butter over a low heat for about 10 - 15 minutes (to get rid of most of their liquid) and then let them cool before adding them to the pastry parcel. And if you really finely chop them, sweat them until they are very dry you’ll get Duxelles - which has many uses.

The above (with the addition of some chopped garlic) is the first step in making a very easy mushroom pâté (the next step is to chop some herbs finely - chives and parsley are nice - then stir everything into a quantity of cream cheese [I use plain Philadelphia], mix well & put into a ramekin [large or individual]. Then chill for at least 30 minutes. Adding finely chopped walnuts adds a nice crunch, taste and texture]).

Edited by iL Dottore
Forgot a step for the Pâté
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Will a certain Bear sample their wares?  Well I suspect such a take-away will see off the best part of a tenner(?) or more, whilst Bear's favourite pizza from the Co-op is three quid (often cheaper when on offer) plus 20 minutes of leccy.  Not a hard decision.....

Indeed, ICI, BASF, DuPont and Dow Chemical desperately need your support

Three quid pizzas - a triumph of chemical food engineering (and has anyone wondered if the “meat” in such things is really meat or disguised horse or insect protein? Or has everyone already forgotten the horsemeatt lasagna scandal of a few years back?)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

I too have lost at least one post and have struggled with no text box to type into.

Had a visit from @jamie92208 this morning nice to put a face to a name.

On the home improvements front we have moved a load of tools out of the spare bedroom back into the garage. Then fitting a new doorstop onto the skirting board I bought a 2 pack from Screwfix the doorstop them selves are ok but the supplied screws are absolute carp, luckily I had some better replacement screws in stock

Most of the floor has been swept 

We then packed up early to call for some milk and cooking oil then Lucas has started on his homework besides my knees hurting

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

That's gonna annoy a few vegans..................................

• Agree 3
  • Funny 15