The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather seems to be very unpredictable today, sunny, dull, sunny, then dull again, there’s also quite a breeze too. Today, I shall be looking at 3 of the solar lights that I repaired last week, they seem to be very dull at night, so I don’t think the solar panel/charger circuit is working correctly. The plan is to clean and polish each solar panel, then give them a coat of varnish to protect them and keep them nice and shiny! After that it’s just a case of pottering about. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Had my eye out for the price of the LG rollup TV since they started teasing videos of it a couple of years ago. I was thinking 15 to 20k. 

Now has a price, announced a month or so back, turns out its 100k US.  If I paid that much I'd want it on display all the time, not rolled up out of sight, which defeats the purpose of getting it I guess.

How do they magically work without power and coax leads draped across the patio for  me to trip on , drag it with me as I  fall into  the pool and electocute myself?

hmmm:

Screen images simulated. TV needs to be plugged into the appropriate power source to operate. Cables may be visible depending on installation environment.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

How do they magically work without power and coax leads draped across the patio for  me to trip on , drag it with me as I  fall into  the pool and electrocute myself?

Underfloor sockets perhaps? Coax leads are not necessary as it almost certainly works on Wi-Fi. No doubt a supervillain such as Captain Cynical would have induction loops hidden in the walls and floor. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would have thought Captain Cynical would have a multiscreen room for online briefing of minions think Bond villain lair with handy shark tank below

Its raining again although its showing 20° on the car temperature gauge.

I now have to try and print a document from my phone out on Lucas' printer. This will be fun without him at home 

The carpet people have been to measure up, the bedroom I had done a rough measurement they came to confirm and to measure both flights of stairs

I did like the look of the Samsung tv that has like a picture frame surround and can display artwork when not used as a tv.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

1985003000_IMG_24801.JPG.18b0f144a2acc2310f0bfe9c2fdcc6e1.JPG

Apologies for the carp photo - it was with the iphone and thru' the door glass, and at night.  I need to find an alternative cover for his (or her? - Harry could in fact be Harriet) din dins bowl cos' the piece of wood currently used is a bit hefty to shift.  I need to find something he can move but pidgeons can't........

Something like this .

937614709_hogcave.jpg.dd702d34b99cffc420e02c78d984dbb9.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For @polybear’s next “Pizza Evening” (https://wealthygorilla.com/most-expensive-pizzas/)

Quite frankly, most of them sound most unappetising….

Any food that includes Gold as an ingredient should be banned in this Bear's opinion; there will come a time when such materials are soooooooo scarce we'll look back and think "what the f. were they playing at??"

Incidentally, Bear had a frozen Garlic Bread (actually a Pizza) in the freezer - it came as a part of a Co-op "deal" - five items for a fiver (the true value being over twelve quid).  So bung some Tomato Puree on top, then chopped tinned Tommy's (sorry iD), grated Mozzarella, a few slices of onion, chili oil and an egg.  Result of today's din dins experiment?  Pure yumminess -  and all for a couple of quid or so.  Works for this Bear.

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Number 16, please.....

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

One of the troubles with 'uber expensive' bikes is that rank and file motorcyclists have no interest in them - we're a conservative lot, and some of the ugly monstrosities (usually designed by 'car people' casting around for something to do) do not float our collective boat.  Things like the Hailwood bike, H2 and the RC213 are OK, and classics, but many of the others don't really look like bikes - and as such leave most of us cold.  They're for 'collectors' and people looking to show how much money they have - you won't see one on the road TT week, whereas you WILL see all kinds of other exotica, including some very trick race bikes that suddenly sprout a numberplate for a week.  Next door but one has a Paton, hand built Italian exotica race bike that is road registered...sort of legally (blind eye turned to some legalities  - like silencing - when he registered it, 'daytime use only').....and insured.  No MOT here  ;-)

And how many could be fixed if you slung it down the road in five years' time?

Bear here....

Painting finished.......until........

Bear spotted I'd "crossed the line" between the lower and upper colour in one small area.  Damn Piggin' Turdycurses 😡

- so out with the upper colour and first touch-up applied; it'll probably need two more goes before the lower colour disappears (it's darker).

The Owatrol has arrived, as have Bear's Mirror Screws and Caps; the Courier used the door knocker and the doorbell - so we'll let that one pass.

Had an email from a friend - EDF have put her monthly direct debit up to £647 A MONTH.....

But when Bear analysed the latest bill it suggests a total yearly bill of £2667 (bluddy hell) - so how EDF manage to arrive at a yearly bill of £7764 is beyond this Bear.

(The £2667 is based on April's usage - so the new higher prices; Winter will bung the cost up a bit more, but nowhere near what EDF predict).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Any food that includes Gold as an ingredient should be banned in this Bear's opinion; there will come a time when such materials are soooooooo scarce we'll look back and think "what the f. were they playing at??"

Gold is inert and passes harmlessly through the digestive system.  If we are that short of it in times to come it could be recovered at the other end of its journey 💩 although it would be a sh1t job 🥺

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our TV expired fairly recently in a cloud of DCC-like magic smoke, replacement was 'interesting' as all the 'smaller' (by todays standards) TVs were of distinctly lower picture quality to the now 'standard' sizes.  So we ended up with a 43" (small by many standards) which only just fitted in the relevant corner of the lounge.  Prices ranged widely in this size from 250 ish to a grand.  Ours was about 400 IIRC, does all we need (that is, no Alexa or other sort of crepe we would never use) but the best picture quality we could observe given that.

Yes, the picture quality of 'small' TVs is not so good as the latest type but we had to replace with a 43" because anything bigger no longer had the facility to play DVDs.  The other snag is that modern computers do not do so either so what happened to 'store this on a DVD and you will have unlimited storage to access at any time. promised some years back?  This thing called cloud is a pain.  I'll leave it there.

Edited by PeterBB
typo
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Chewsday...

Yesterday, lemme see;

Mrs ever forward has now driven herself and run errands/shopped first time solo since the surgery.

All went as expected, though she did say she was more tired than expected following the foray.

Long Island client called with some major issue regarding reports - a March and April report showed the "same numbers... what happened!?!?!?!? HELP".

A swift review and a few questions later it was revealed they'd not run the posting programs REQUIRED, so a ton of ledger entries hadn't been actually been processed <sigh>

I managed to hit 100 "workouts" on the bike/iFit program, which nets me a free tee- <woo hoo> 😀

20220509_100Workouts.jpg.db94e4bcefb1b47d4c1484f315da670b.jpg

Pity I didn't ALSO make 600 miles, falling 7 tenths short turdycurses  😛

20220509_599Miles.jpg.33cce89e8a24fc6a1c87f241df1a13b1.jpg

The evening saw the Mrs off to her book club and my mate over for wine and cheese and to solve the current dilemmas

First thing 13 and partly sunny, supposed to clear later with a high of 24 and no rain.

Onward...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

...Incidentally, Bear had a frozen Garlic Bread (actually a Pizza) in the freezer - it came as a part of a Co-op "deal" - five items for a fiver (the true value being over twelve quid).  So bung some Tomato Puree on top, then chopped tinned Tommy's (sorry iD), grated Mozzarella, a few slices of onion, chili oil and an egg.  Result of today's din dins experiment?  Pure yumminess -  and all for a couple of quid or so.  Works for this Bear.

Captain Cynical has long attained a serene zen-like acceptance of @polybear's culinary foibles. Content in the knowledge that whilst The Bear is depleting the world's stocks of petrochemicals, Captain Cynical will be enjoying the finer culinary things in life (nearly always without chips!)

Of course, Captain Cynical (and iD) loves to cook for guests and who could be a simpler soul to satisfy than @polybear. A generous portion of deep fried LDC with a gigantic side order of oven chips and we'll have a very happy ursine indeed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Yes, the picture quality of 'small' TVs is not so good as the latest type but we had to replace with a 43" because anything bigger no longer had the facility to play DVDs.  The other snag is that modern computers do not do so either so what happened to 'store this on a DVD and you will have unlimited storage to access at any time. promised some years back?  This thing called cloud is a pain.  I'll leave it there.

It also seems that finding new TV's equipped with a SCART socket is getting harder - and more than one SCART getting even more difficult.

28 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Most of those look like Pizza Hut rejects.

Anything that's a reject from Pizza Hut has really gotta be dog rough....

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A generous portion of deep fried LDC with a gigantic side order of oven chips and we'll have a very happy ursine indeed.

Hmmm, sounds promising.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

28 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Most of those look like Pizza Hut rejects.

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the ingredients involved are very fine indeed, but to pile them on to a pizza displays a cynical intent on behalf of the restaurateur to remove as much money as possible from those who have more money than taste or good sense.

Having revisited the ingredients list, I reckon Greggs would be on to a real money maker if it would make a "Billionaire's Pasty" (a shortcrust pastry shell stuffed with kobe beef, truffles, caviar, lobster tails, covered in gold leaf)

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

3" because anything bigger no longer had the facility to play DVDs.  The other snag is that modern computers do not do so either so what happened to 'store this on a DVD

I can view DVDs on my TV which is bigger than 43”. It is only a couple of years old. If you have an old DVD player it might not connect to a modern tv as they generally don’t have the old scart interface. DVD/Blu ray players with hdmi connections like modern tvs aren’t too expensive and there are also scart to hdmi converters. 
My one year old pc like many others doesn’t have a built in optical drive but I added an external one which reads everything from cd rom up to Blu ray including all kinds of DVD. It will write/create them too. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1