The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Andy's at it again I've got adverts covering more of the screen partly covering up the stupid video that takes up half the screen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Andy's at it again I've got adverts covering more of the screen partly covering up the stupid video that takes up half the screen.

He did mention that there could be more Google adverts than previously on the “free to see” version now that the 25p a week version is available. I suspect there may be testing. For a couple of days recently there were some odd appearances for Gold subscribers too but a solution appeared very quickly. If I hadn’t already taken out Gold as a substitute for the print copy of BRM I would have rather liked her new offer if irritated by ads. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It's getting ridiculous adverts on top of adverts though...

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

It's getting ridiculous adverts on top of adverts though...

They are almost certainly testing what happens then. Screen layouts that work on the range of devices people use to view RMWeb must be an interesting way to spend one’s day. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2022 at 12:30, PupCam said:

On that note, at about 11.15 last night just before I packed it all in I happened to note the passage of another object from west to south east.    The remarkable thing was the intensity of it!    It was like a magnesium flare.    I thought it was probably the International Space Station but although I've seen that many times, I have never ever seen it anywhere near as bright.   Normally it is just like a moderately bright star that moves at speed across the sky rather like the satellite in the second photograph.    Presumably the sun / earth / ISS geometry was just right to give my part of the world such a spectacle - fantastic!

Nah, all they've done is bolted on a dodgy set of p1key LED headlights off the 'bay and left them on full beam.

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Things that I was going to do two years ago I find I am no longer capable of doing. However I will give it my best try, even if it takes a week to recover from the effort.

Bear has thought more than once that recent diy escapades carried out at Bear Towers would've been somewhat "interesting" if left for another 5 or more years....

Bear here.....

.....at last......

Apologies for the absence - shonky wifi is bvggering  up my attendance somewhat. Circumcised (with one space, but sometimes two).  (Huh? How the hell did that word get there? Buddy anti-virus  again.....).  And no, Bear didn't type AV either........

I've just about caught up with ER and TNM - some ratings added, with apologies for those that I've missed.  VSBT's to @DaveF and all those in need of such.  As for Beary fun, well it's been MIUABGA......

In other news.....

Bear was somewhat shocked to read of the 48 y.o. (IIRC) woman in Belfast who has been waiting to see a Neurologist on the NHS  regarding suspected MS........for FIVE YEARS.  I'd read previously that such Consultants were in short supply, but that's just nuts.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The trip to the hospital was a mixed bag, the tumour was a grade four, which is not so good, on the other hand they have me down for CT scans every 6 months to keep an eye on me, so that is as much as can be done.

Did they discuss the possibility or suitability of adjuvant therapy with you?

Even if the primary tumour is completely resected with clear margins (removed cleanly), depending on the histology and cytology (and nowadays the gene mutations - if any) of the tumour, adjuvant therapy may be required as a follow-on treatment to the surgery.

To quote the NIH NCI (National Cancer Institute) Adjuvant Therapy is “Additional cancer treatment given after the primary treatment to lower the risk that the cancer will come back. Adjuvant therapy may include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, or biological therapy”.

Depending on a number of different factors, it is possible that although the primary tumour has been successfully removed, there are a few cancer cells that “got away“ and are travelling around the body looking for a new home. These are called Micrometastases and the purpose of adjuvant therapy is to hunt them down terminate them with extreme prejudice (so to speak).

• Informative/Useful 15

9 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

It's native on Word

I tried a double space at the end of a sentence and it didn't do the full stop/period replacement for me.

Microsoft Office home and student 2019.

Word Version 2204

(No customizations)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 8

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve recently been watching various YouTube videos in which young (and not so young) Americans recount how moving to another country has opened their eyes* ...

* Such videos have titles like “Why I Won’t Go Back To America”, “Lies They Tell Us About Europe” and so on.

Trolling for "likes" and "subscribes" with inflammatory attention-grabbing statements on YouTube by the sound of things.

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Far too many Americans are wilfully ignorant of life outside of the US - a state of affairs that suits many in positions of power and authority just fine…

The willful ignorance is real but you need to be careful about generalization. I'll happily stipulate to "far too many" but I wouldn't go as far as to say a majority is willfully ignorant.

Part of the problem is education. Most school children get very little history - literally zero pre-revolution history (except Thanksgiving myths) and the content of school curricula is politicized.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the real problem is that "politics is the new religion" and to belong, dogmatic orthodoxy is demanded of the "tribe" by some in power along with their media acolytes. Critical thinking is the victim in this scenario.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Did they discuss the possibility or suitability of adjuvant therapy with you?

Even if the primary tumour is completely resected with clear margins (removed cleanly), depending on the histology and cytology (and nowadays the gene mutations - if any) of the tumour, adjuvant therapy may be required as a follow-on treatment to the surgery.

To quote the NIH NCI (National Cancer Institute) Adjuvant Therapy is “Additional cancer treatment given after the primary treatment to lower the risk that the cancer will come back. Adjuvant therapy may include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, or biological therapy”.

Depending on a number of different factors, it is possible that although the primary tumour has been successfully removed, there are a few cancer cells that “got away“ and are travelling around the body looking for a new home. These are called Micrometastases and the purpose of adjuvant therapy is to hunt them down terminate them with extreme prejudice (so to speak).

Nope, no treatment.

• Friendly/supportive 19

14 hours ago, grandadbob said:

... there are 120.5 civilian firearms per 100 persons in the US compared to 4.6 per 100 in England & Wales.

Yes, there are actually more guns than people in the US.  However:

Four-in-ten U.S. adults say they live in a household with a gun, including 30% who say they personally own one

There's an awful lot of "collectors". Even with simple maths, given there are 120.5 firearms per 30 firearm owners, then the 'average' firearm owner possesses 4 firearms.

The actual average would be higher (at least five) since it is 30% of adults who are gun owners, rather than 30% of all Americans.

It is the easy access (essentially "on demand" access in some places) that is the problem, rather than the total number.

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 imposed a five day waiting period until the National Instant Criminal Background Check System was implemented in 1998. The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act (1994), also known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, expired in 2004.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

our 4.5 mile "stroll" around the Ingleton Waterfalls saw some spectacular waterfalls in full blast

Is there still a ‘cafe’ at the far end?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, BoD said:

Is there still a ‘cafe’ at the far end?

not currently.. but the green  hut is still there but not in use.

Barry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The willful ignorance is real but you need to be careful about generalization. I'll happily stipulate to "far too many" but I wouldn't go as far as to say a majority is willfully ignorant.

I recall an Australian comedian telling how  while on tour in the US  thought he'd use some of his time to film some "Ignorant Americans!" style footage to use in some future TV project. His idea was to go up to randoms on the street of wherever it was that he was and ask them questions about world affairs or geography or whatever  that they should know the answers to then film their ignorance for the LOLs.  He thought it would be like shooting fish in a barrel  but after about 15 minutes he had to give up because nearly everyone he asked either knew the answers or apologised profusely for not knowing the particular  fact that they apparently should have. 

In contrast last week prior to our Federal election a TV crew in Parramatta had trouble finding anyone who knew who  the opposition leader (now PM) was, even when shown a photo of him with his name on it , and many didnt even know which party was in power - and here voting is  compulsory.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2022 at 19:14, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Overdone the eyelid inspection again by about an hour or more. For the life of me I just can't understand the attitude of some American law makers to gun control, how many more children have to die before they bring in controls? Now to catch up on the rest of RMweb.

They possibly are those who hold the opposite view.  Noted the comment from an anti where he said that the police should be after the felons ... forgetting of course that. most of the felons use a gun as part of their 'trade'.  Also noted that the statistics stated that there were more guns than people ... 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2022 at 20:56, PhilJ W said:

I have never heard of the 'double space' after a full stop. It certainly wasn't taught when I was at school in the 50's and 60's.

Surprised to hear that. Are with NHN and in reading easier to find where you left off with the small but perceptible 'space'.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, chrisf said:

My suspicious nature has kicked in this morning.  My e-mail inbox contains what purports to be an e-mail from BT telling me that my direct debit is no longer active and inviting me to set up a new one.  It does not address me by name but merely says "hello".  A phone call to BT seems to be in order, but not using the number set out in the e-mail!  Either that or ignore it, which is easier said than done.

Things like that first thing in the morning are a ruddy nuisance.  I had been feeling so pleased with myself for having got some m*d*ll*ng done.  Oh well, the happy feeling was nice while it lasted.

Chris

Also had that but as an email - looked good but ... off it went to report@phishing.gov.uk and in this case also to phishing @bt.com .  seem to be having a regular spate of 'failed to deliver please rebook' type ones - send them all off to report and then delete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not long got in from the SEERS meeting. The member who was due to give a talk tested positive so it was decided to get the test track out instead. Most of the stock on test was vintage stuff, Hornby Dublo and Triang, the HD tinplate coaches that were run looked brand new.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

Evening all. A quick check in before bed at the end of a long day. Delays on the drive to Matlock Bath meant no time to visit the Post Office so the orders will have to wait until tomorrow. All customers have been informed however.

The Zoom meeting was the waste of time I predicted and the lead had one of those boring monotone voices that can send you back to sleep. At least the request for us to have camera and microphones off allowed me to leave the computer on in the background whilst busying myself preparing the shop with some items unpacked and displayed.  DPD also managed the delivery safely and this was sorted later in the day.

The traffic did not lead to a busy day of customers and Matlock Bath was extremely quiet. This meant plenty of time to deal with the rep and the phone calls from other suppliers.  Some college stuff was also completed and I waded through many moaning emails from some of the precious little darlings who make up our student population. It amazes me how many of them ignore the feedback from their tutors and then blame us when their work does not pass. This new generation of work from home students need to learn some life lessons!

On the subject of the adverts, I have seen little change today. I appreciate the site needs to earn money but I still question the sense of making parts of it unusable due to their presence. As I have said before, it is like me putting up large adverts across part of the door and the aisles of the shop making it difficult to enter or walk around. Then charging customers to remove them to make life easier when a few years ago the doors and aisles were clear. In my humble opinion it is not on and I object to the option of paying for what I enjoyed uninhibited for years. Can you tell I am not a fan?

Tomorrow is a bonus day off. My parents are covering the shop because I have to taxi Sarah around in the early afternoon. So college work will be completed at home and I will catch up on posting out orders during the morning. 

Take care.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I never actually made a start on widening the access hole to the underfloor storage area. I got a little bit distracted by the contents of my railway stock boxes. This was mainly due to the fact that I remembered that I’d not added a recently purchased item to my inventory. So, once I’d found which box it was in (the boxes are all labelled) and added it to the list, I then had a look at what else I’d got, 2 hours later I was still at it. Still, it was a very enjoyable way to spend the morning, even if it wasn’t productive in any way. Some items are over 30 years old and despite being accurate scale wise, are not really up to today’s standards, but with a little work can be made to look good. In particular the original Bachmann Bulleid coaches, of which I have 12. There was an article in Model Rail a few years ago, describing how they could be improved. The magazine has long gone, but luckily I kept the article. So it was retrieved and re-read, so I could make a list of what was required. I feel some on line shopping is going to take place very soon! 

This afternoon, Charlie called round for his weekly model making session. He arrived just after 2 o’clock and after a quick chat with his nana, we both headed off to the workshop. He is attempting to paint a 3D printed figure, whilst I continued working on the DH Tiger Moth. I’ve mainly been paint the small bits today, such as the wheels and the propeller. I also did some more work on the base, it was given 2 coats of lacquer and the terrain section was given a coat of textured earth coloured paint and is now sat drying on the workbench. Hopefully, I’ll be able to apply some static grass soon. 

• Like 16