RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We've had a walk but I (actually The Hip) could only manage just over a mile before the protests started.  Asda visited and for some reason one of the items deemed necessary for this weekend's survival was a bunch of red , white & blue flowers for The Boss.  ???   Much more importantly just before we left I realised that my marmalade jar was almost empty so of course that was of major importance and that serious shortage has now been rectified.

Coffee time and then I need to make a decision about what to do next.  There are myriad tasks available to me but my old friends mojo and enthusiasm have gone AWOL.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

If I ever get a dog it will be called Spike.. my last dog (60 years ago) was called Ross.

For this Bear it would be called Benjy.  Or Dopey.

As for names, I guess this Bear is still pretty conservative (not meant in the political sense) and favours more traditional names; some of the modern names given to kids nowadays make this Bear cringe and I think "you poor little b'sterd" (e.g. Fifi Trixibell).  I'm also a firm believer that a "Sarah" is indeed a "Sare-ra" - and most definitely not a "Saaaa-ra".

Progress today has seen the fixing of as many bits of dado rail as possible - some bits will need shortening (I was planning on that) in order to meet up with the various door architraves.  Tick.

Bear found himself pondering who I'd give a gong to in the Honours Lists; only one name came to mind - Paddington 😀.  I guess that would be deemed to be inappropriate though. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to this Bear than many of the other nobs they've dished out to.  Is that a Rant?

edit:  Oh yes, a quick check of the shed reveals that the score remains unchanged at 4-0.  Good.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The water is off and drained, the waste pipes are all removed and the old tap is loose.

What do I find missing......the existing hep2o compression fittings need a tool to remove them and I don't have it.

Currently awaiting a click and collect sms from Screwfix so I can pick some up...........

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Did you know that if you leave two bared wires touching a tin lid you get a short....PAH!

I reckon Lords need to get a new square..variable bounce is awful.. if I marked it it would get a 3 out of 5 at most. The Sky pundits know better, as usual...

Time to..finish my wiring tasks

Baz

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

The last time I witnessed such an event  was for the Silver Jubilee and I took my then girlfriend on the back of the RD up to Dunstable Downs to see it.  If I recall that was one humongous bonfire!       Anyway, clearly the girlfriend didn't learn anything and she's been stuck with me ever since!    We'll have been married for "The answer to life, the universe and everything" years shortly.    Poor girl .....  but lucky me!

Ahhhhh.....so that explains it!  The poor girl, having been subjected to riding pillion on an RD piloted by Puppers was scared into submission......🤣

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We are just back from the car boot where a small boy called "Hunter" was being shouted at.

Who in their right minds names their sprog after a pair of wellies?  FFS.  See Bear's earlier comment re: PLB

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

No doubt we will have an air drop of paramedics in the next few days. Yesterday a collection of muppets was trying to emulate them on the road between Macclesfield and Whaley Bridge then more were out over The Snake last night. 

Sadly it only took me 4 hours to be proved right. G-NWAE, the Northwest Air Ambulance, passed while sitting in the garden having lunch around 1.15. Circled over The Snake until sirens arrived and road all silent up there at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 16

Super chufter - I am a plumber (again).

Once I got the tools from Screwfix the compression fittings could offer no resistance and they were off.

Piping simplified - removal of hot water feed for a washer, isolation valves on, connection to tap - no over tightening - all good, no leaks so far.

Waste pipe simplified - removal of a junction that only served to collect debris which would then stink, now it's a straight.  Discovered in good time that the builders never fully tightened the sink waste, whilst it was damp under the sink it had never actually dripped, all tight now.

Model tokens earned, now enjoying an omlette and feeling smug.

However, you'd think I never tackled complex plumbing before, at the old how I disassembled a toilet cistern, replaced all the mechanism with a new one and reconnected everything.  Five years Mrs W has been waiting for me to replace this tap....😀

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, polybear said:

......some wascally, wascally wabbit  ....

I have an alibi... look the other way doc... 

7 hours ago, polybear said:

... Pebbles?  Whatever happened to doggy names such as "Satan", "Fang" and "Spike"?  🤣 ...

Or 'Spot' or 'Fido'? As with yachts/boats, owners sometimes seem to forget they may have to advertise themselves loudly in public with these names, whether over Channel 16/Guard or by lung-power in the local park. I always thought calling a dog 'Bruno' or 'Tyson' was rather distasteful but calling it something like 'Elvira' or 'Campanula' wasn't much better. I like 'Spike' - but then that was a colleague's name on a certain liddle project Warner Bros ran a few years ago a cousin of mine was involved in... 

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

1 I am not a foreigner

2 Being a Durham lad we know when we have to go out inthe rain

3  I do stand out in the rain while umpiring if required ( when it rains the players retreat to the clubhouse.. we have to check the weather.

4 Even Barnsleyites know when to stay indoors .. I.e. when it's chuckinitdarn

Baz

Look anyone who lives outside the red rose county is a 'foriegner' to me.

Now I won't say what I think of people who stand in the rain to check.

Coming from Durham that explains a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Arternoon awl,

Confusing, these four day bank holiday weekends. My subconscious is convinced it's Saturday. A chuckitdarn night, but the clouds are lifting now. Andy's fixed the issues with classified, so some time this morning spent advertising the unmentionables. I had intended to finish some jobs in the garden but it looked rather wet, so I chickened out. 

It's been noisy so far, the mating calls of the lesser spotted burglar alarms have been competing with the territorial cries of power drills and pressure washers as the stereotypical activities of a bank holiday are indulged in. Not forgetting the shrieking alarm calls of smoke detectors when our neighbours burn their toast. Or something. 

Names are tricky. I've never been fond of my given name, which is why (partly, anyway) my friends call me something else. I was very nearly called 'Christian', as my mother was very devout. Thankfully, I dodged that bullet, though almost certainly not through any efforts of mine. Thinking through my primary school class, there were no unusual names there, though a few years later that would probably have been different. I think a person's name is closely tied up with their identity and their character, so deciding whether to call someone 'James' or (for example) 'Noah' would probably have a big influence on how their personality and character develops. As others have observed, the more unusual the name, the higher the chances of 'trouble'. 

Time to go and pot some primroses...  😉... TTFN.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mad day as expected...and a good practice session under way this evening, speeds (lap times - 37 3/4 miles) of over 132 mph.  That's average...over these roads....

P1150604.JPG.9abf4a2091cf95124db60b15b92c6af0.JPG

Start em young…

2CAB3075-154F-4A62-8587-AC2DEA8D07DE.jpeg.6a7f9e1357b503a4e490d74e3823a19c.jpeg

Grandson (aged 1yr ) earlier today. 
As you can probably guess he has us wrapped round his little finger.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

An obstetrician acquaintance of mine once observed (very politically incorrectly) that she saw a direct correlation between non-standard and bizarrely spelt names given to children and how “problematic” the families they came from were…

It’s far too easy to despair of humanity when you learn of parents giving their children names like “Positive Wassermann“ as happened on one hospital maternity ward (look up what a Wassermann test is). 

The waitress' name at a restaurant that I ate in (the food was quite good, BTW):

713937468_MiracleVillageInnOrlandosalesreceipt.jpg.3a0159fc32bd3103a2eef075cb8fb373.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

Replacement BIN day today - and we've seen NO trucks yet today, very weird... 🤔

Yesterday, quiet, on happening was a good and fairly short (we already know ALL the songs) rehearsal for the Pentecost services Sunday.

Nice post -rehearsal drink/nibbles on the sidewalk at our usual watering hole.

Today, imminent arrival of Whitney as Jemma is off on a 4-day trip, such diverse places as Puerto Rico, Fargo and Las Vegas, what a combination! 😆

We attend a fund raiser this evening for troubled city youths, or new friend Melvin Carter Jr. runs it for his organization "Save our sons", features good music, food and speeches by some local dignitaries, including his son, Melvin Carter III, who is the Mayor of St. Paul.

Weekend threatens to be "available" for some hobby time, we'll see how far that goes. Sundy, of course, morning taken up with singing.

Weather expected to be delightful EXCEPT for Saturday when pluie is forecast in abundance.

BIN time, 10 and sunny, high reaching 22 later and sunny all day.

Enjoy the weekend - all four days for you lucky bar-stewards in the UK!!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... because I intend to illuminate the interior of the bus and thus must ensure that I do not have any light bleed through (any suggestions on how to achieve this will be welcomed).

Well, it’s now 06:00 Time for another BIG cup of coffee and then off to work.

Enjoy the day!

Paint the inside surface of the body (as much as you can, mask off any details not to be covered up) with one or more heavy coats of flat black.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Afternoon all 

One is cream crackered.

Been outside dans le jardin 

Buxus hedge planted and 2 pyramid buxus moved from pots in the front and planted forming part of the hedge.

A cage has been built to keep sparrows off grass seed we have sown.

Little fences have been constructed to keep a certain puppy out of the pyracanthus.

Sawdust vacced up and in garden bin.

Large lavender plants staked back

All i have left to do is water everything in once the sun moves around a bit so nothing gets scorched 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Catching breath...

Lap times last night over 133, bonkers.  Rained off this afternoon, but re-starting soon.(6pm)

Names - well mine got some stick, but there are many worse.  Here, traditional Manx names are common, and don't attract scorn, Orry, Dolyn, Finlo, Niall (m) Breshey pron, 'Breesha', Voirrey (=Mary), Fenella, Doona  (f). 

Christian is a very common surname (my Mother's maiden name) as are many Q names, (Quirk, Quayle etc) which are corruptions of 'Mac/Mc' names.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

An obstetrician acquaintance of mine once observed (very politically incorrectly) that she saw a direct correlation between non-standard and bizarrely spelt names given to children and how “problematic” the families they came from were…

It’s far too easy to despair of humanity when you learn of parents giving their children names like “Positive Wassermann“ as happened on one hospital maternity ward (look up what a Wassermann test is). 

I did; a major whoops!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

Rolo gets on well with Pebbles so far its good news. Both dogs are getting plenty of attention.

Pebbles wasnt the first name we had thought of when the boys saw her yesterday they noticed the 2 little tan patches above her eyes looked like pebbles.

The lads didn't know we were getting her its been very hard the last few weeks not mentioning it.

We went to see them and met her mum 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I did; a major whoops!

That would indeed be an example for parents putting their own ego and craving for distinction above their childrens' well-being!

• Agree 11