Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Tis 36C outside now, the lab AC is beginning to struggle. it's gone up to 24C in here, so some measurements now cannot be done.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

28c here, Fraggles are swooning.

There was a call to arms for the old farts motorcycle club, for a lunch run out, so it would have been rude not to.

Absolutely scorching, only cool over 50 mph or so.  Destination Peel for lunch, here's about half the contingent.  absolutely weird moment, there was one tiny grey cloud in the sky, and it rained!  We each got about half a dozen spots, seagull got the blame initially but no, it was rain.  No, we didn't taste it to check.....

I wish to point out I'm ten years younger than this lot!

1389116913_20220718_1259311.jpg.fd95017c5a5a49070a75a1ddeb67bfd0.jpg

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

I hear good things about some of the students, others I hear about on the news. 

Yeah, that's my lot too, having been the office manager of our young offenders team for 9 years.  There was always a core of a dozen or so we knew we would never divert from their life of crime.  One of the suspects above then used to arrest them, but not the one that looks like he may have been a copper, he's a joiner!

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm the new boss decided to investigate the ducting outside for the A/C ... it's now 28C in here.. measurement stopped till it gets back down to temperature and settling time after..

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Just had an update from my pal Chris, him wot does the Bonneville speed record stuff.  He has been making what they call a 'Lakester' class car, made using (Dave H cast-off?) Tornado drop tanks for body shells.  Not there's much left of that.

This has a turbocharged and very much tuned 660cc motorcycle engine that produces 350 bhp at the back wheel.  Yes. 350.

703963970_paintedcar2.jpg.91b951901b546adf105540f527b05d30.jpg

Full story here if you want.  You may see us mentioned as sponsors.

https://www.bonneville.im/updates/

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Can someone explain why the British are so fecking shite when it comes to weather. 

Because our buildings, infrastructure, and work patterns are not designed for such extreme conditions.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Just had an update from my pal Chris, him wot does the Bonneville speed record stuff.  He has been making what they call a 'Lakester' class car, made using (Dave H cast-off?) Tornado drop tanks for body shells.  Not there's much left of that.

This has a turbocharged and very much tuned 660cc motorcycle engine that produces 350 bhp at the back wheel.  Yes. 350.

703963970_paintedcar2.jpg.91b951901b546adf105540f527b05d30.jpg

Full story here if you want.  You may see us mentioned as sponsors.

https://www.bonneville.im/updates/

Interesting article and do I see your name on one of the bikes?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Evening All 

Back from the hospital not a happy bunny they released her saying nothing wrong whilst I was away on the school run. If things don't improve I will be ringing 3x9s.

SBT's;  I hope they did a scan?

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Because our buildings, infrastructure, and work patterns are not designed for such extreme conditions.

I think that's only part of the answer I'm afraid. The other half has to do with group think and the media.

If you keep being told it's hot and that it's going to affect the things you do then you start to accept it.

Gone are the days were people made up there own mind and could be trusted to act accordingly.

If you consistently treat people as being 'dumb' then that is how they will respond.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Just had an early dinner, cold roast chicken and salad. The salad is getting a bit limp despite being stored properly in the fridge. Also the bread is getting a bit dry so I might pop out when its a bit cooler to get more supplies in, Tess Coes is open until midnight.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Evening All 

Back from the hospital not a happy bunny they released her saying nothing wrong whilst I was away on the school run. If things dont improve I will be ringing 3x9s.

When i got back to the car it was 40°

20220718_151059.jpg

Interesting so you turned the car over to see if that would make it cooler.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ahh but go outside in 30 on hols and it is glorious. Here you are dying. Nowt to do with infrastructure but all to do with mind set. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Ahh but go outside in 30 on hols and it is glorious. Here you are dying. Nowt to do with infrastructure but all to do with mind set. 

Methinks the difference between nice hot and nasty hot is all to do with humidity - hot n' humid being a real b1tch; dry hot is much nicer by comparison.  There are limits of course - dry + 50C is a b1tch no matter what.

Bear's Rant of the Day:

Why are the RAF wasting money giving back-seat rides in Fighter Aircraft (at loadsadosh per hour) for a Bozo that's out of the door in a few weeks?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think that's only part of the answer I'm afraid. The other half has to do with group think and the media.

If you keep being told it's hot and that it's going to affect the things you do then you start to accept it.

Gone are the days were people made up there own mind and could be trusted to act accordingly.

If you consistently treat people as being 'dumb' then that is how they will respond.

But by that argument, I can just as well assert that that is just what you have been conditioned to think by the group and the media.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bear's Rant of the Day:

Why are the RAF wasting money giving back-seat rides in Fighter Aircraft (at loadsadosh per hour) for a Bozo that's out of the door in a few weeks?

There's always the hope that he might be ejected at even shorter notice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10

I too was wondering whether the 2 seat Typhoons were equipped with command ejection.  I also thought there was a rule that fast jets were prohibited from air to air refuelling with passengers in the back seat.  

Charlie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

If you think of hotels when you go to a hot destination think what you have Air con, ceramic tiled floors thick curtains almost like rubber all to deal with the heat. Buildings designed to minimize solar gain.

I have watched gardeners in the heat and humidity of the Dominican republic working like Trojans where it was too warm really to leave the pool .

We have a maritime temperate climate in the UK we usually dont get the extreme of temperatures our continental friends enjoy (endure). Think of mid West USA soaring summer and freezing snowy winters

It's the same with snow we don't get enough of it for drivers to need snow chains or studded tyres or preheaters for engines. Nor do drivers have enough practice at driving under those conditions. I Think it was mid 2000s when we had serious snow last

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Rant of the Day:

Sadly it wasn’t to test the rear seat ejection system. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a lot of talk about how our well insulated homes keep the heat in

They are intended to do that - to maximize the thermal mass (thermodynamic inertia) and maintain a constant temperature with the minimum of heating (and energy) in cold weather. With thermally tight structures, air conditioning is needed in hot weather - with similarly less energy than poorly insulated structures.

With my non-functional air conditioning (diagnostic service visit scheduled for Thursday) I am battling that with a barrage of fans and open windows (to force cross-ventilation) whenever the ambient air drops below the inside temperatures. Noon today sees only 18°C so it is very pleasant right now. It will warm up if and when the marine layer of cloud breaks up this afternoon.

This too shall pass. Tomorrow is forecast to top out around 32°C. Every day of next week (starting Sunday) is (preliminarily) forecast to exceed 32°C.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Can someone explain why the British are so fecking shite when it comes to weather. 

My solution is: when it is hot put a fake picture of a Spanish resort in your window and pretend you are in Ibiza. When it is cold, a fake pic of a ski resort to make you feel like you are in the mountains. Sorted. Now stop your bitching. 

😀 I would note that in warm weather on holidays people get to lie out in the shade while others ply you with refreshments.

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's more than that. 

I grew up in a hot/humid place*. With no air conditioning. It's bloody miserable. 

* Average summer high exceeds 30°C with a ~60% humidity.

Some of the newer classrooms at school did get air conditioning but I only had those in the upper grades. Even some of my university classrooms had no air conditioning. I distinctly remember one brick building with a north facing window (where the sun comes from in the antipodes) and a Polish ex-pat lecturer droning on barely louder than the fan on his overhead projector in an afternoon lecture.

Every morning Mum and Dad still have a summer routine to open all the windows in the hope of a breeze - in particular the afternoon sea breeze that is a lifesaver. At the first hint of rain there is a mad dash to get the clothes off the line and close all the windows.

We were talking about sartorial trends yesterday. The well dressed Edwardian gentleman might have worn an undershirt, shirt, tie, waistcoat, and blazer - with a hat and overcoat (and scarf and gloves) should he venture outdoors. I have a hard time wearing that many layers in chilled air. It is inconceivable in the summer. I think it is more reflective of a cold climate and poor interior heating than anything else, including fashionable decorum.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14