Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

What happened when the semicolon broke grammar laws?

It was given two consecutive sentences.

🤣🤣🤣

G  roan!

• Agree 11
  • Funny 4

19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Others were  "Drink water!" "Dont go out in the sun!" etc - have we really become this dumbed down? 

There's one on the front page of CNN today:

CNN: How to stay cool without air conditioning

It's not too stupid and actually has useful information like - don't freeze your bed linens like pillow cases. (I have heard of people who do this.)

Many of these articles are written by* (and targeted at) millennials online. For people experiencing extreme heat for the first time in their lives, some of these articles might help. Having said that (while my knees are toasty from a charging laptop) "don't charge your telephone" is daft.

* Who are also likely assigned the 'puff' pieces.

As we saw here during our 47°C heatwave last year, and Portugal and Spain saw this week, extreme heat does kill.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What primitiveness is this?

Er, a Home Bargains Fan....

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

EDIT

Here's some ideas of what is available in contemporary fans.

Does anyone actually spend seven hundred and fifty bucks on a Dyson Fan? 🤣

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear I was thinking @PupCam could teach you a project for the fans as part of your homework 

Shhhhh - don't go remindin' him FFS.  I'll get all sorts of sh1t heading in my direction....

44 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In year 10 we had a new kid from Luvupul (thats how he said it, he  sounded like Ringo) 

turn up in the middle of winter. We were all in jackets and gloves, he would wear the summer short sleeve shirt to school.

What did Ringo make of the summer?

44 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I do have respect for member of the roof insulation profession. People always wait until the hot weather hits before getting their insulation bats replaced. Roof cavities reach 60 degrees (and more if the roof is metal)  here in summer and to spend the day relaying fibreglass bats (so dressed in PPE etc)  inside an enclosed roof space is the mark of a true super being.

Sounds like a good way to die of heat stroke to this Bear.

Bear here.....

Bear had a sudden and very unexpected power cut about an hour ago.  Fortunately the laptop was nicely charged so I figured that I could at least amuse myself by perusing the 'net.  Er, wrong.....Ricky the Router was dead.  Turdycurses.  It was too dark to do any reading as well.  Double TC's.  And no fans either....

Fortunately it only lasted about half an hour, so all was not lost.

This may be of interest - and concern to any fellow ER'ers with Hive units:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/07/hive-to-axe-its-cameras-over-the-next-few-years--meaning-they-ll/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=19-Jul-22-c4b857c2d7644e991a3-62d70e0bc73dc499ddc9b89cb7f299ae&source=CRM-MSETIP-c4b857c2d7644e991a3&utm_campaign=nt-moneysavingnews&utm_content=3

And finally.....

HappBirthday TBazzyo!🎂🎂

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Back again!

Forgot to mention earlier that I did a bit of the G word as in watering the pot plants. Most are now in the shade, at least until about 2pm when the sun comes round, larger plants providing extra cover for smaller ones. A few large pots, and the peony also received a dollop or two of moist bark straight from the bag to try and stop the soil drying out.  So a bit of time outdoors before it got too hot and being mostly in the shade was quite pleasant and welcoming.

Temp. still 26.2C in dining room, 20.8C in the garden. Hopefully, that means it will be cooler for sleeping, tonight.

Till then, I shall do myself a mugasumat.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear I was thinking @PupCam could teach you a project for the fans as part of your homework 

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Shhhhh - don't go remindin' him FFS.  I'll get all sorts of sh1t heading in my direction....

Too late Bear!

I think we've had enough of these "a cub ate my homework" excuses!

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does anyone actually spend seven hundred and fifty bucks on a Dyson Fan? 🤣

Only if they are extremely stupid in my most very humble opinion.     

Mind you, you may recall that Dyson is not a favoured manufacturer of Puppers!    Which reminds me, you may recall the saga of replacing the broken (combination of poor design and poor material spec?) wires to the Beater Bar saga from sometime back.    I checked them the other day and the repair still looks good.   Shame everything around it smells of gold fish.

Night Awl!

• Like 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Does anyone actually spend seven hundred and fifty bucks on a Dyson Fan?

I liked the Honeywell tower fan. I have an older model Honeywell tower fan beside the sofa. It is several years old and doesn't remember settings which is the only thing which displeases me. It has a remote which can be kept in a little slot in the back, but I don't use it.

I do find the remote for a fan in the bedroom exceptionally useful.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Still warming up here - presently around 30°C with a couple more degrees to go.

Shopping is done (sort of) and I enjoyed the air conditioning in the car. The supermarket refrigerator for eggs/yogurt/cheese was non-functional so no yogurt or cheese (on my list) was purchased. I will need them in a couple of days, but may try somewhere else on the way home from an errand tomorrow.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I liked the Honeywell tower fan. I have an older model Honeywell tower fan beside the sofa. It is several years old and doesn't remember settings which is the only thing which displeases me. It has a remote which can be kept in a little slot in the back, but I don't use it.

I do find the remote for a fan in the bedroom exceptionally useful.

I have two identical tower fans (branded Better Homes & Gardens); one by where I sit at the confuseromputer and one by my bedroom recliner. I use the remote with the recliner fan but not the other as I have to walk right by it whenever I approach or leave the computer so the switch/button on top works for me.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It did rain last night along with the thunder.  I'll check the water butts when I go up to let the hens out.

Some minor tasks this morning then an afternoon trainspotting.  Not a bad prospect.

Jamie

• Like 16

Now 10:30pm (around 90 minutes after sunset) the ambient air is finally about the same temperature as the inside (~27°C). I've got the fans going downstairs. I'll get the fans going upstairs when the ambient temperature drops a little more.

I think it will be some time before the house will be cool enough for sleeping.

Overnight is forecast to be clear so the temperature will drop, eventually.

More of the same tomorrow. No rain here in the long range forecast.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5