Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Then there's the Thais.....I found their food (in Thailand, not here!) to be very hot, in the Bangkok/Pattaya area when eating in 'local' eateries.  Spent 7 weeks there in the 80's, discharging LPG from quite a big ship to a very small one.

scan0002.jpg.1dbb63e26b0fe728482ddd5dcf350cff.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We had someone come and look at any aids and adaptation I need. Double handrail on stairs already fitted. Couldn't fit handrail in bathroom due to stud and board walls. They did advise a shower seat for the ensuite shower room when it came it was like a park bench and we couldn't get it in the shower room never mind the actual shower cubicle.

All i really ended up with that is any use is a bed lever to help me get out of bed on a morning. It does serve a secondary purpose of helping me not fall out of bed with the old nightmares. I have ended up on the floor a few times it is quite startling to suddenly hit the floor. Even worse banging my head on the bedside table quite badly 

Tell me about.

Even worse when you hit something on the way down.

Then waking up in the morning and wondering where all that red stuff on the pillow came from.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

51 minutes ago, Kelly said:

I've never heard of that brand and no idea if they operate over here, I couldn't see any indication on their webiste from a quick look.

Individual shoes is not something I've seen offered by any brand really. I suspect to get a trainer or shoe to fit my left foot atm I'd need to buy 2 pairs, one size 11 for the left, one size 10 for the right. It might well prove easier to just get a pair of size 10 sandals that are a bit more rugged than the pair in the photo above, kinda like the hiking type. As the straps will give more room and adjustment potentially. Will have a look in a few shops tomorrow/Tuesday and see what we can find.

Good! more stores should do this. They should be banned full stop really as even pre-pandemic and pre-heatwave they were often a source of park or green area fires and/or just discarded after use, especially on beeches.

J

Hopefully this will be of more help than my previous posting. There should be an orthotics department at your hospital who can produce special footwear  for you. You may need referring but your consultant could do that rather than your GP. They can take a while to make them but there may be ones on site. Anyway give it a go.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

Good! more stores should do this. They should be banned full stop really as even pre-pandemic and pre-heatwave they were often a source of park or green area fires and/or just discarded after use, especially on beeches.

Here its illegal to even use your welder or grinder in your shed on hot fire-risk days, seems crazy to think people can plop metal trays of combustible rocks down wherever they want and set light to them!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Kelly said:

I suspect we'd have to take the bath and shower out and replace it with a shower cubicle. The walls are all stud and board here,  so grab rails would struggle if I had to grab them when slipping.  ...snip...

The grabirons would be firmly attached to the studs; I am basing that on similar construction methods over here.

4 hours ago, Kelly said:

...snip... Individual shoes is not something I've seen offered by any brand really. I suspect to get a trainer or shoe to fit my left foot atm I'd need to buy 2 pairs, one size 11 for the left, one size 10 for the right. It might well prove easier to just get a pair of size 10 sandals that are a bit more rugged than the pair in the photo above, kinda like the hiking type. As the straps will give more room and adjustment potentially. Will have a look in a few shops tomorrow/Tuesday and see what we can find. ...snip...

That reminded me of a trip to a drug store with a friend. While he was getting his prescriptions taken care of, I wandered around in the non-drug part of the store and found a pair of shoes (for diabetics apparently) in my size and tried one on. It was like putting my foot into a cloud; I took them (well, the box with my shoes in it as I was wearing the new ones) up to the counter to pay for them. The clerk would not let me buy them as I did not have a prescription! For shoes?? So I put my shoes on and put the new ones back on the shelf. Note that I was willing to pay the full price on the box, too. I wished that I had remembered the brand and later looked on line for them.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Then there's the Thais.....I found their food (in Thailand, not here!) to be very hot,

Proper Thai food can be very hot indeed. “English Thai” as is found in many eateries here is usually “spiced down” 

This place, however, offers most dishes as Mild, Moderate, Hot or Thai Hot. Should you order the latter the owner / manager Yamin will politely check first that you understand …..  but it is top notch food of its ilk. https://m.facebook.com/100063766891210/

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

NHN is in agreement with iD regarding the 'chilli wall', having sailed with Indian crews in some of the ships, I used to eat the 'crew curry' much the disgust of my fellow officers.  There's a kind of threshold, which once passed reveals the real flavour of such food. 

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Then there's the Thais.....I found their food (in Thailand, not here!) to be very hot, in the Bangkok/Pattaya area when eating in 'local' eateries. 

39 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Proper Thai food can be very hot indeed. “English Thai” as is found in many eateries here is usually “spiced down” 

It’s quite interesting to contemplate the use of chilies in Asian cuisine, not the least because in culinary terms it is a recently introduced ingredient (the chilli, or capsicum originated in Bolivia), brought into India in the 16th century by the Portuguese (and spreading from there).

Certainly, there are many dishes in the Southeast Asian culinary repertoire that really do indulge in the liberal use of chilies, but I think the difference between those dishes and the various phalls, tindaloos etc. created in the west (often to satisfy the macho post pub-crawl diner) is that in the originals the amount of chilies used – although considerable in some dishes – is balanced against all the rest of the ingredients and not just chucked in willy-nilly.

A good example of this would be the comparison of a typical curry house “vindaloo“ and an authentic Goan vindaloo or vindalho (made with pork and including vinegar in the recipe). Yes, the original recipe would be hot but all the spices (and other ingredients) would be nicely balanced. 

Of course, as with many things, tolerance (in this case the fieriness of the capsicums) is down to habituation. 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide (or capsaicin to you and me) is pretty powerful stuff (Botanists reckon that this molecule is produced by the capsicum plant to protect itself from mammalian, insect and fungal predation) but strangely addictive and once you get past “the burn”, opens up a whole new world of flavours.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear recalls seeing "Mrs Brown" being interviewed on The Paul O'Grady TV show at 5 o'clock(?) one day;  the term was used several times - and PoG almost went into meltdown each time cos' he could visualise all the complaints that were on their way....

I know that senses of humour are individual but I'm afraid that mine does not embrace Mrs Brown.  Takes all sorts, I suppose ...

Chris

• Like 5
  • Agree 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a cool 13C rock, b the sun has only been up an hour and is not yet higher than the trees that border Chateau NHN.

Bike club day, but options for brunch not yet discussed, we also have to avoid the West as it is the Royal Agricultural Show today, a big event on the rock that half the population will be going to - there's a big beer tent for the Douglas element.  Others may wish to see the animal and crafts.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I used to eat a Vindaloo back in 'old home', Phaal was never on menus back then, is it a more modern invention?  

Bear has "done" the UK hot ones (including Phaal) but soon came to the conclusion that anything above Madras (so Vindy & Phaal) is pointless cos' you could be eating gangrenous road-kill and you never know it.

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hopefully this will be of more help than my previous posting. There should be an orthotics department at your hospital who can produce special footwear  for you. You may need referring but your consultant could do that rather than your GP. They can take a while to make them but there may be ones on site. Anyway give it a go.

About all Bear could think of was finding the appropriate size of shoe on one of those "example racks" outside some shoe shops - where they only display one shoe from a pair - and then scarpering 🤣

Of course getting a matching pair gets tricky.  Odd socks** are one thing, but odd shoes?  Passing them off as the latest fashion statement might be one option I s'pose.

**A certain Bear was wearing socks marked "Thursday" whilst being subjected to an unspeakable procedure involving a camera driven by a Doc.  It was a Tuesday - so the Doc remarked that I'd got the wrong socks on....

Bear:  "Look Doc, I'm retired - and it's the middle of a Pandemic Lockdown; what chance do I stand of knowing what day of the week it is?"  She cracked up.

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The grabirons would be firmly attached to the studs; I am basing that on similar construction methods over here.

I suspect in many UK houses you'd need to beef-up the wall stud first.

(Incidentally, I asked the Gas man who visited Bear Towers to service the boiler last week if he'd done any work inside the obscene number of new builds that are springing up locally - and if so, what's the construction quality like.

"Yes, a few - and they're bluddy appalling".

It's worth noting that the 3-bed "nothing special at all" houses going up just a few hundred yards from Bear Towers start at £780K 🤣.

Bear here....

Today sees the shelf rails being sprayed as Job No. 1 - before it gets too hot outside.  Then its a MIUABGA day - I'm hoping that the lino will arrive early so I can fit it, but I suspect Hermes will have other ideas just to p*ss me off.  We'll see.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've still got internet! Well for the time being, as long as they don't pull the plug while I'm using the internet or watching TV. Hoping the predicted rain arrives soon, even the none tidal part of the Medway has stopped flowing.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That reminded me of a trip to a drug store with a friend. While he was getting his prescriptions taken care of, I wandered around in the non-drug part of the store and found a pair of shoes (for diabetics apparently) in my size and tried one on. It was like putting my foot into a cloud; I took them (well, the box with my shoes in it as I was wearing the new ones) up to the counter to pay for them. The clerk would not let me buy them as I did not have a prescription! For shoes?? So I put my shoes on and put the new ones back on the shelf. Note that I was willing to pay the full price on the box, too. I wished that I had remembered the brand and later looked on line for them.

I googled diabetic shoes, here in the UK they are available on mail order from £20 a pair.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

I suspect in many UK houses you'd need to beef-up the wall stud first.

(Incidentally, I asked the Gas man who visited Bear Towers to service the boiler last week if he'd done any work inside the obscene number of new builds that are springing up locally - and if so, what's the construction quality like.

"Yes, a few - and they're bluddy appalling".

It's worth noting that the 3-bed "nothing special at all" houses going up just a few hundred yards from Bear Towers start at £780K 🤣.

When I was house hunting, nearly forty years ago I looked at some new builds* while they were still under construction, I decided that they were not for me.  *They were basically a wooden frame with a brick skin, and only a mile or two from Wennington where those houses were destroyed by fire last month. In the end I bought my cottage in Burnham, built in 1862.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3