Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The alleged baby killing nurse is a bit of a downer too.

Truly beyond comprehension.

Or at least my comprehension anyway.

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's logical, once the events of the day happen in the US. 1700 EDT is 2200 BST. 

When our summertime wintertime are out of sync we seem to get an hour of BBC America news. We don’t really watch the main channel BBC1 news at 6pm and 10pm anymore, just watch the News Channel. Main interest here seems to be the weather.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Main interest here seems to be the weather.

The primary reason I watch 11:00pm local news (local crime and/or politics*, weather and sports).

* If it bleeds it ledes. Usually a blend of both, blaming local governance for local crime.

And speaking of the weather, today is lovely. As forecast, the wind shifted last night and the air pollution of the last several days is gone so I finally have the windows open to admit cleaner and cooler air.

Local US AQI:

image.png.81a6ed94edfce970b3b24e8fac6cb80c.png

Still no rain forecast, but it is really nice today.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BoD said:

I would bet though, that if I said guess which artist, you would probably get it in one.

Yes, but mainly because it had popped up on some online news thing on a Google page. Of course, the ones he didn’t burn could be more “valuable” now or am I a nasty cynic. 

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The new computer chair was delivered (as a kit) by Argos at 8p.m.  Good timing as I had just finished watching an old film on TPTV.  It's good service - I only ordered it at 12.41 today.

I had it assembled by 8.45, having had the sense to unpack it downstairs and take the parts up to the "office" to put it together.  It seems comfortable so far, I've got the height about right.  It is a lot better than the old one had become recently.  I might even get more done now.

All I have to do now is take the old one to the tip - I have taken it to pieces so the bits will fit in the car.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

reason I watch 11:00pm local news (local crime and/or politics*, weather and sports).

I think I am probably lucky to live somewhere where there is very little local news other than “nothing happened”. Benfleet had incidents in the ninth and seventeenth centuries so,we aren’t due for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

It sure would be nice if all USB charging cables where the same BLQQDY type! I mean what IDIOT decided that there should be so many variants. I've more than a dozen in different lengths and connectors.

Cynical Bear suspects it's cos' the manufacturers note a drop-off in sales of USB cables so decide that a new design is called for - meaning everyone has to shell out for a load more cables.....

1 hour ago, BoD said:

So …

the world/country is going to hell in a handcart and possibly much worse but one of the main stories on the news  is about an artist selling these non fungi token things then burning his own works of art.  

Is it just me?

No.  He's a Tw@t.

53 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Many expletives deleted and I was nearly deleted as well and severely chastised by Management as she doesn't approve of swearing and is trying to bar me from watching the "news" in future.......

Now if GDB were to emit lotsa naughty expletives whilst doing the housework then would Management bar you from doing the Housework?  Could be worth a try....

53 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

oh and don't get me started on people gluing themselves to roads and stopping normal people trying to go about their business and go to work, hospital  etc etc.

Bear saw that - and emitted expletives that would make a GDB frown.  When they block the roads to Fire Engines and Ambulances on blue light calls it's really starting to get way beyond a joke.  A certain Bear looks forward (and I really, really do) to the time when they do it once too often - and in front of the wrong driver - and he says "f*** 'em" and floors it.  I wonder if any of them will insist on a horse-drawn Ambulance to take them to Hospital - after all, they wouldn't want to ride in an oil-burning monster, now would they?

Yep, that's a Rant.

In calmer news.....

A second coat of primer applied to the loft hatch surround - top coats can start tomorrow.  Tick.

I've also managed to get Bear's email working again - it'd send but wouldn't receive messages - and has been busted for most of the day.  The magic fix?  Executive reset....

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Yes, but mainly because it had popped up on some online news thing on a Google page. Of course, the ones he didn’t burn could be more “valuable” now or am I a nasty cynic. 

Some may say that his art is only fit for a bonfire in the first place 

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was doing his dance earlier but the Nurofen is now taking effect. Mention of the news, it is reported that Poo-tin is running out of ammunition as well as soldiers, this is from GCHQ. Apparently they are using rockets at ten times the rate they can produce them.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cynical Bear suspects it's cos' the manufacturers note a drop-off in sales of USB cables so decide that a new design is called for - meaning everyone has to shell out for a load more cables

It's mostly Apple trying to lock customers into only Apple products.

There are some technical, meaning smaller, faster, cheaper (to make), aspects.

More significantly there are QA implications with 'any charger'. It is a deterministic challenge to QA one device paired with one charger and some level of reliability can be guaranteed. QA of a device with 'any charger' cannot be solved rigourously. One of the unintended consequences of the EU regulation might one day be battery fires related to devices with untested chargers.

Voltages and currents will vary even if USB-C specifies the following:

All USB-C cables must be able to carry a minimum of 3 A current (at 20 V, 60 W) but some can also carry high-power 5 A current (at 20 V, 100 W).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think I am probably lucky to live somewhere where there is very little local news other than “nothing happened”. Benfleet had incidents in the ninth and seventeenth centuries so,we aren’t due for a while. 

I discovered recently that King John had a hunting lodge in South Benfleet.

https://www.benfleethistory.org.uk/content/browse-articles/people-2/royalty/benfleet-a-royal-forest-1163-1552

I have seen a better map of the royal forest and it seems to suggest that Thundersly Park Road was the eastern boundary of the forest.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Not all posts read or rated and greetings are on offer to all Ers whether celebrating, ailing, or suffering from Covid - 30747 had to visit the Dr and when she described our symptoms a few weeks ago, they said "almost certainly Covid" - we tested several times, and they never came up positive - how odd is that - or is it?  One has to wonder about the accuracy of the tests.

Regards to All

Stewart

The tests are pretty reliable and the 'error' rate is much much much less than your 'testing several times' so you were definitely not Covid infected at the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Here news is commemorations for the 20th  anniversary of the Bali bombings,  the reasons the government claims we should be able to avoid the apparent  upcoming world  recession  and the Rugby League World Cup. (probably NSW and QLD only but!) 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was doing his dance earlier but the Nurofen is now taking effect. Mention of the news, it is reported that Poo-tin is running out of ammunition as well as soldiers, this is from GCHQ. Apparently they are using rockets at ten times the rate they can produce them.

Ukraine is too though, outpacing US artillery round production and apparently running the US concerningly low.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-08/us-running-out-of-ammunitions-to-send-to-ukraine-war/101515370

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

As expected, I didn’t get all the bulbs planted today, but I did get 60 in the ground, which leaves another 130 to go, but I do plan to put around 30 in the front garden, after I’ve moved 4 shrubs to the back garden. However, before I started I needed t do a bit of tidying up in the garden, I filled the wheelbarrow up with fallen leaves and sycamore seeds. 

After dinner I emptied the wheelbarrow and locked up everywhere and came in early as Sheila aka, Vidal Baboon wanted to cut my hair. It didn’t take long as there isn’t a great deal left to cut, but once that was I changed out of my working cloths and then started on the latest batch of rhubarb and strawberry jam. The aroma coming from the kitchen, which, according to Sheila, is not unlike the smell of candy floss, filled the house. 

This evening we had our weekly chat with Vickie. There was nothing out of the ordinary discussed, mainly what their kids are up to and the current status of Ava’s new bedroom, which is now not far off being finished. With good luck and a fair wind, they’re hoping she’ll be in for her birthday, which is near to the end of November. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The alleged baby killing nurse is a bit of a downer too.

8 hours ago, BoD said:

Truly beyond comprehension.

Or at least my comprehension anyway.

There’s something called von Munchausen’s syndrome (or simply Munchausen Syndrome*) in which those affected induce disease, illness, injury, abuse, or psychological trauma to draw attention, sympathy, or reassurance to themselves. A very serious variant of this is what has been (or was) called Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy - whereby another person, typically a child, is abused (so made to suffer by induced injury, psychological trauma etc), in order to seek attention or sympathy for the abuser.

This case of the nurse could well be a very extreme form of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

”Medical Murder” is quite a complex matter: sometimes the intention is malign (such as in the case of Harold Shipman), sometimes it is (delusionally) “benign” as in “I wanted to help them, by ending their suffering

One final thought: over a whisky and a good cigar I was chatting with my GP friend about the perfect murder - and he told me how to do it. In the 2 part process (which I won’t describe here) it’s another doctor that delivers the fatal blow and as death is a possible outcome of the second part of the process anyway, such deaths go unremarked and uninvestigated…

Bottom Line: don’t p1ss off your GP 😱🤣

* the current name of the disorder is “Factitious disorder imposed on self” - I prefer the older, non-PC, term.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was looking at my Summer 1962 Combine this evening (as you do) and I noticed this advert on the back:
2BC56562-6381-40F1-9C1F-573BAB543FE1.jpeg.14efb377d0ac319f6ed03366009767c4.jpeg

Here’s an enlargement of the section showing the annual salaries offered:

8B29A326-ABE9-46B5-B4EA-5E39916FF625.jpeg.86fb57e3ce10e6851c7cdc7f1f43d6e3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2