The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I was stationed in California (south of Fresno, NAS Lemoore) when that came out and one weekend we went up there to see what it was all about; man did we come back to base vastly disappointed! It was not really any  different from any other CA coastal town.

What on earth was the USN doing in Fresno? No ocean there. 😉

It's even bigger than it used to be after NAS Miramar was transferred to the USMC and is now the home of "the Navy's entire west coast fighter/attack capability" and home to five carrier air wings.

I bet Mendocino has gone a lot more upmarket than when you were last there. Plenty of seaside / wine country retreats, art galleries etc, but still a Northern California beach town.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I anxiously await his forthcoming BBC Natural History Documentary series on this topic (narrated, of course, by the great Sir David Attenborough)

But what to call the series?  Gwiwer’s The Attractive Planet perhaps?

Commentary by Sir David might not be a problem. 

Dr. SWMBO sees him frequently and they speak sometimes; she is a huge fan and he has, very publicly, singled her out for praise when addressing a large audience of influentual peers. 

“The Attractive Planet” has its …. errr …. attractions as a working title. 

Do I get expenses-paid trips to far-flung and exotic corners* of the planet? 

In other news the entire area around continues to be deafened, as it has been for several hours now, by Diwali fireworks. His Furship isn’t bothered and despite being wary and skittish has always been well-behaved during fireworks. The dog upstairs is wailing like a banshee. 

* There are no corners to the planet. Ut is geoid in shape. If it were flat with sharp corners cats would have pushed everything off the edge long ago. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been watching another of those derelict house/barn rebuild programs on TV. Quite interesting. The channel is HGTV available on BTTV 42, Freeview 44, Sky 158 and Virgin 286. Very much the same genre as 'Help, I bought a village but UK based and individual buildings rather than an entire village.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Not much change ... suppose we’ll have to get ready ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/10/24/waiting-for-the-next-one/

Thanks for the date info John, I'll remind my neighbours tomorrow. What with Trafalgar day only 4 days earlier it's a good time of year.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for the date info John, I'll remind my neighbours tomorrow. What with Trafalgar day only 4 days earlier it's a good time of year.

Jamie

Was going to do the Non Nobis Domine from the Branagh film, or something from Walton Henry V, the wartime thing, but found some earlier RVW. All will be revealed tomorrow

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been watching another of those derelict house/barn rebuild programs on TV. Quite interesting. The channel is HGTV available on BTTV 42, Freeview 44, Sky 158 and Virgin 286. Very much the same genre as 'Help, I bought a village but UK based and individual buildings rather than an entire village.

Caroline Quentin presented a series Restoration Home iirc that has been repeated a couple of times that was good.

There was another one fronted by Simon O  Brien can't remember the name but that was good too

My dream derelict home was the title

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thoughts
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

DIY conversations remind me of a painting segment from "Ask this Old House" where a homeowner wanted to update a radiator cover.

They tested it for lead - it was positive and then in disposable full hazmat* (with respirators) took the radiator cover into the front yard on plastic drop sheets. They didn't take it back to 100% bare metal.

* goggles, gloves, coverall suits, booties, and an N100 respirator.

I understand the dangers of lead poisoning and how sanding will create small particles in the air but it did seem to be 'full on'. I was less surprised by the extent they went to (positive air pressure) when removing asbestos on a project.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I bet Mendocino has gone a lot more upmarket than when you were last there. Plenty of seaside / wine country retreats, art galleries etc, but still a Northern California beach town.

Mentioned by Frank Zappa in "Camarillo Brillo", but  it is surpassed later in the same  song by the couplet:

She stripped away Her rancid poncho

And laid out naked by the door

We did it till we were un-concho

An it was useless any more

What a wordsmith he was, suspiciously  like Shakespeare and I have researched the reason why.

Shakespeare:

image.png.71b70031153b68e6b0569a29c850ff38.png

Zappa:

image.png.80acb4d4b10cd17f0d43ad58c136e39e.png

Note similar little beardy thing.  Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

13 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@Barry O yes we did enjoy the show Thank you. Although it was busy I could get around ok on my crutches and could get to see the layouts. 

@Erichill16 we were there at a similar time so our paths may have inadvertently crossed. 

Sorry to have missed you Simon, I didn’t now you were going.
I was the one wearing an anorak and walking around with a carrier bag!

Maybe you’re  coming  to our exhibition in a couple of weeks ?

ps Baz, I enjoyed the show as well. Reading on another topic, what more do people want, I spent most of my time watching a roundy roundy layout, admittedly it wasn’t going at break neck speed. 

Edited by Erichill16
Add ps
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Sorry to have missed you Simon, I didn’t now you were going.
I was the one wearing an anorak and walking around with a carrier bag!

Maybe you’re  coming  to our exhibition in a couple of weeks ?

ps Baz, I enjoyed the show as well. Reading on another topic, what more do people want, I spent most of my time watching a roundy roundy layout, admittedly it wasn’t going at break neck speed. 

When is it and where?

I had a blue body warmer on and crutches 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Such ships do exist but are expensive and there are the obvious capacity and logistics issues. At the moment they seem to work for some premium priced high value small volume cargo - which doesn't fit the definition of oil and coal. Perhaps in land-lubber's terms, it's why those of us with oil-fired central heating get a large tanker come round rather than some bloke on a tricycle with a few jerry cans on the back. 

Two articles I saw earlier in the year which talk about the issues more fluently than I can: 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/14/replacing-container-ships-with-sailing-boats-cargo-shipping-wind-power 

https://coffeecode.co.uk/wooden-ship-to-transport-coffee/

There are already good solutions for ships on short voyages, the difficult segments are large ships on trans-oceanic voyages. Those ships need a lot of energy, there are several good solutions such as methanol, ammonia, synthetic e-fuels and even liquified hydrogen. There are also advocates for small modular nuclear power packages, technically that would be a good way forward but politically it is less clear. The issues with alternative fuels are availability of green alternatives (most commercially available ammonia and hydrogen has much higher lifecycle emissions than fuel oil because of how it is produced) and also energy density. To replace 200 million tonnes of fuel oil (significantly less than the annual use of international shipping) needs about 450 million tonnes of ammonia, that's about 200x currently available green ammonia and the amount of renewable energy needed to make it is almost 70% of global renewable electricity output. We need an enormous increase in clean electricity production, and then you run into the issue that because of the low energy efficiency of electrolysers and synthetic fuel processes allocating a huge amount of available clean electricity to such uses would actually increase overall emissions by shifting other demand to fossil electricity until we get that massive increase in renewable energy. Unfortunately, it's such an emotive subject and many ignore the issues. None of them are insurmountable and it's clear we need to reduce emissions but it's not as simple as just telling a global industry to stop using oil or gas without having an idea of what and when for the alternatives.

Even then, a capesize bulk carrier could take a load of 200,000T of coal. Even if the ship is zero emission it doesn't alter that it is carrying 200,000T of coal (which is just carbon, it's the highest carbon factor of any of the widely used fuels) to burn. A lot of people in the energy sector like to point at transport as it reduces focus on their own emissions (not that I'm a cynic or anything).

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

The standards required of Singapore Airlines crews would probably be unlawful in Europe

Female flight attendants on *some* Asian airlines look like clones. It wouldn't surprise me if there were "weigh-ins" with a "do not exceed" threshold.

I remember flying on a (now-defunct) domestic airline in India where the service was impeccable, but the cabin crew looked like they all had exactly the same uniform size.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Cricket admin completed before this visit to ERs. Pah!

Yes @Erichill16you can't please everyone.. but generally the feedback we had was very positive.

Singapore Airline attendant on the flights I have been on were very good. Very charming and very helpful.. compare that to Virgin, Boeing Always and one or two American airlines is easy. SAL staff are customer centric..

Time to drink my tea and get ready for some busy days from now until next Monday.

Enjoy your day!

Stay safe,

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1