The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

36 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... caught out in said very heavy rain, kids trick or treating

We have a rainy Halloween here as well. I am hoping that the little monsters show up despite the inclement weather. I have laid in a store of "fun" sized Kit-Kats* for them.

* Apparently the second favourite such treat behind Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, of which I am not a particular fan. The Kit-Kats were expensive and the larger (cheaper per unit) bags ran out weeks ago.

It occurred to me that the inflatable costumes have the added benefit of shielding the occupant from the rain. Driving into 'town' this afternoon there was a happy white unicorn**, standing in the rain in front of a daycare, madly waving at the traffic. It made me smile.

** Inflatable with pink horn, mane etc.

• Like 19

Evening All,

Another busy day here.

Been to Meadowhall and the Ilea store nearby and that’s about it but boy as it a tow with mil.

Ive had a look at units that may be of use in my room but I’m thinking if kitchen units for base units and living room units (with glass fronts) for on the walls. Problem, they don’t come in the same finishes, pah AND turdy curses.

Got Syd tomorrow but not sure what’s on the agenda as the weather forecast isn’t promising.

Anyway, Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Still wound up by that bl00dy pigeon.

Feel like getting a kestrel to hunt the things down 

Starting to feel like Dick Dastardly 

"Catch that pigeon"

Will have to get the dachshunds a scarf each for the Muttley medals 

Get a feral  ute, mate!

image.png.d2abbdb6d508aead9efa6915631310bd.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... very heavy rain and a massive queue on what is laughingly called the Aston Expressway. And then near home, caught out in said very heavy rain, kids trick or treating. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/10/31/direction-uncertain/

Bear was particularly taken by mention of Students turning up late - or not at all.  However, on the News last night there was mention of UCL and a Student Legal Class Action (I think) seeking compensation.  As regards arriving for lectures late - or not at all, perhaps Universities/Colleges should start installing clocking machines....

https://thetab.com/uk/2022/10/31/thousands-of-students-and-grads-are-claiming-uni-compensation-for-lost-time-over-strikes-279381

Bear here.....

Oh joy, a load of washing to do.  Yippee.  Once that's started, I'll check progress on the paint stripper test area - it's been on since 2pm yesterday so I reckon it's had plenty of chance to do its stuff - if indeed it's actually going to do its stuff in a reasonable manner.  If successful then I'll bang in an order for 5L of the stuff; I may also order 5L of the Nitromors "Trade use only" equivalent to stash away in case of need - I've a sneaky feeling that sooner or later (sooner, probably) such stuff will become NLA to all concerned.

Once that's done I'll be prepping a couple of projects that would be of the "Awl" attracting variety - including planning the outstanding tasks necessary to complete the chassis construction jig modifications, which I hope to complete this week.

Cancelled (by the seller) Ebay order no. 2 has been refunded; I've now ordered the same stuff (PTFE clear tubing 0.5mm i.d.) from a different seller - I wonder what the chances are of this one being successful?

Bear gone.

p.s. No T or T's at Bear Towers last night.  Pity - I could've unleashed some pretty good tricks.....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

…Fast forward to the the 2010’s and I was regularly asked if I wanted to do overtime, but unless it was urgent, I usually turned it down, letting the younger ones do it instead, as we didn’t need the money and the young un’s certainly did. 

Isn’t that one of the ironies of working life? That when you need a robust income when you are starting out (buying a house, starting a family, et cetera) you are generally on a lower income than when you are older and well established.

As for overtime, I only did it when I was working in the hospital (I was on an hourly wage, not a salary). Being young and impecunious meant that I had the energy to do double shifts. With appropriate timing a long holiday weekend of double shifts could become incredibly profitable.

I forget the exact details, but it was something along the lines of working the first shift on a holiday was paid 1.5x base rate, the second shift (overtime) was paid holiday rate x second shift (OT) rate. If I did an evening shift (1.25 x basic rate) and a night shift (about 1.5 x basic rate) on a holiday weekend rate (add weekend and holiday multiplications) then I could really coin it. After one Christmas weekend in the late 70s I pocketed about $2000 after tax (about $8000 [£7000] in today’s money). Which paid my university fees for the year.

Moving to a salaried job (as opposed to being “waged“) meant that there was no such thing as overtime – you just did the time the job required which meant that as the line managers in the companies I worked for had all “come up from the tools“ (so speak) if it was quiet, I could go home early or even take a day off without using holiday time (the corollary being that if you needed to work out of hours to complete a time critical task, you just did so).  A decent salary, bonuses, spot awards for achievements, a generous holiday allowance and a Christmas “gift” salary payment (an extra salary payment on top of the usual 12 monthly ones) meant that overtime was never missed.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Overtime - what is that?  NHS had 'working hours' but in practice ... and during the pandemic those still of the relevant age and working most certainly did and continue to go 'the extra mile'.

Sycamore trees - still some leaves on but after last night daylight can be seen through the branches, the trampoline while still in the garden has taken a 'walk' and in a different attitude but the heavy rain continued until just now.

T&T this road being rural we had none GD did go with a group in her area, got soaked through but enjoyed it.  They still have over 300 sweets left themselves as in their area T&T is quite a thing and with good weather there would have been a lot of 'organised' groups.  The house decorating in some was out of this world and many obviously spent time and money on it.

Fuel prices seem to have risen again, it is a long time since it was possible to get change out of a pound for 4 gallons!

Beths's tribute to Jamie is still in mind.  Singapore blog posts interesting but also thoughtful into how current 'status' came to be.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Still, it's only about a 10/12 minute walk....in the wind and rain...there and back.  Ooops.   That'll be my fault as well.  When she gets back I'll have to go out because we're running low on bread and milk but at least I can take the car.

Why not suggest to SWMBO that she pick up the bread and milk after the Hairdressers......

Good luck.

• Funny 17

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Why not suggest to SWMBO that she pick up the bread and milk after the Hairdressers......

Good luck.

That's cruel PB. Ask her if she could get some petrol while she's out so the car doesnt s have to get dirty and you'll have to wash it again. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Apart from the usual stiff joints this morning Arthur Itis is absent. 

50 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

She's not happy at the moment as she's going to the hairdresser this morning and will have to walk.  I can't take her because I need to wait in for three or four parcels to be delivered.  Still, it's only about a 10/12 minute walk....in the wind and rain...there and back.  Ooops. 

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Good luck.

Why not ask SWMBO to pick up the bread and milk after her appointment and then you pick her up.

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

It would risk (guarantee?) the parcels arriving during that ten or so minutes GDB was out. 

Good morning from a soggy and windy valley. I too have to stay in for expected deliveries, though it's not much of a hardship given the inhospitable conditions outside the burrow. No T&Ts last night, I heard voices passing a few times but the chuckitdarns kept most folk at home. 

I've not had much opportunity for overtime, most employers haven't offered it, then when I was, I couldn't take advantage as I was spending most waking hours outside of work caring. Not that I was in serious need of the money the way some have been or are, though if I wasn't going to deprive those of my colleagues who didn't really need it, I might have done some to top up the bank balance and fund some indulgences. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The rain that fell last night has now stopped, but everywhere is wet, very wet. I’ve a few little jobs to do inside first thing then if it’s dried enough, I shall look at pruning the buddleia, then digging it up to relocate it closer to the shed. This will free up a lot of space and make moving other shrubs easier. There’s also lots of leaves to sweep up too. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I would but the only shop en-route is one that "we" don't like, in fact she refuses to set foot in there.  The one we use is in the opposite direction.

41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Why not ask SWMBO to pick up the bread and milk after her appointment and then you pick her up.

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave earlier.  😁

12 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

It would risk (guarantee?) the parcels arriving during that ten or so minutes GDB was out. 

Been there, done that!  Three of the parcels are for herself anyway and two contain books so we don't want to risk them being left on the doorstep and getting soaked.

She has now left on her journey into the wilderness with hood up and brolly in hand, lets just hope the wind doesn't turn that inside out.  🤪

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5