RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

As a one-time professional driver of such things I too await a fuller version of events. It is possible that a sheet of ice covering the road led to a loss of control even at modest speed. The question might be why the driver didn’t spot it and - if they did - how they reacted. 

Reports suggest 54 of 70 passengers were slightly injured and the rest unharmed. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially declared a major incident, police attended the crash, which also involved a motorcyclist, on the A39 near Cannington at about 06:00 GMT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above taken from a news site .

As someone who knows the location I have a couple of observations , I will not try to guess exactly what happened .

The coach as pictured is facing the way it came , eg, back towards Bridgwater , it has

traveled  down hill , not a steep one but down , it looks like it did a 180' rotation and

then fell over, possible after hitting the kerb that is visible . As this was 6-00 AM it would

be dark so the chances of seeing ice might be reduced , no street lighting here . If as has

been stated ,  that a motor bike was also involved it's possible that  taking avoiding

action was the initial starting point .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

I've been a naughty Bear....

I've just added to the Great Kit Mountain.  Oops.  I blame the stress of the Fang Polisher this morning.

In mitigation I would just like to point out that it did come with a full set of round things named after a Town in Essex - and the total price of kit + round things is the same as the value of the round things alone.

I can here Puppers @PupCam tutting from here......

• Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Have to agree with Mr Bear.

From the professor concerned; "Now, OK, I have made a choice, but people were making a choice to go into a smoky pub."  that's as may-be but I never "made the choice of going in to a smoky office" did I*.      I wonder if my current respiratory difficulties have anything to do with too many cream cakes?   No, thought not.  What an utterly ridiculous comparison.   Has she been taking lessons from JC?

If I'd taken some Herrings in to work everyday I could have made a fortune in kippers!!! - Yep, that's a rant.

* "W4" was a smoke house when I was in it.

Still going ...

image.png.6afa7db6788357faf3d2a936932cd348.png

Should I or my hat be worried at this point? 🤔

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a waiting list here if you want to donate your body to the Body Farm.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-12/forensic-scientists-at-body-farm-overwhelmed-by-number-of-donors/8520058

Not wanting to be too insensitive but isn't a waiting list to be dead rather pointless, unless they've come up with some way for you to stay alive beyond your "due date".

If they HAVE, I'm sure lots of us would like to know how to do that!! 🤯🤪

• Like 9
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

My landline phone hand  set (which rarely gets legitimately used these days, but its good to have as an emergency, though less so now  that its digital and so in power cuts I lose the router, but anyway....) was playing up.

A mate works for Telstra and offered me a freebie one of their own landline setups that customers have knocked back at install time because they have their own handsets etc. Anyways, I gave one a go.

As a piece of consumer designware its a bit of a fail, the buttons have a slight squishy cheap plastic feel and I don't like the oversized font on the keys, or the key layout BUT it has this thing called Call Guardian.

If a number thats not in my white list (made up of my contacts list and previously accepted calls)  calls me they get a response saying "Please state your name" before the phone rings at my end. The call will not progress to ringing me until they do. If they do say their name then it rings me and when I pick up the phone it  will say "You have a call from X" and I can decide whether to accept it (press 1)  or block it and put it in my blacklist (press 2).

If they dont say their name (which Robo callers wont, nor most scammers) the phone never even rings me. Result is zero robo calls since install  (I almost wrote Robbo call there, I have a workmate called Robbo who sometimes calls me at work , I'll have to think of THEM  as Robbo calls now...) and much reduced  begging calls from charities etc (which I can still block by pressing button 2  when the phone tells me who it is.)

BT do the same thing here, so we don't get nuisance calls on our landline any more.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I once helped deal with an incident where a double decker hit a car that pulled out in front of it. the bus started to rotate without any problem until the rear wheel caught a tree root on the verge it then flipped over. Fortunately it only had the crew on board both of whom were OK. 

And as this one was loaded even more likelihood of overbalancing .

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

From the professor concerned; "Now, OK, I have made a choice, but people were making a choice to go into a smoky pub."  that's as may-be but I never "made the choice of going in to a smoky office" did I*.      I wonder if my current respiratory difficulties have anything to do with too many cream cakes?   No, thought not.  What an utterly ridiculous comparison.   Has she been taking lessons from JC?

When I read the headline I assumed they were talking about birthday cakes for older members of staff.

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Not wanting to be too insensitive but isn't a waiting list to be dead rather pointless, unless they've come up with some way for you to stay alive beyond your "due date".

But isnt life just a "Waiting list to be dead" when you think about it......

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

We mentioned the Kraken the other day.

Coincidentally this giant squid (8') is in the news today:

CNN: Extremely rare footage shows sea creature off the coast of Japan

Meanwhile a dead whale washed up on an Oregon beach. (It was struck by a ship.) They're not going to blow this one up. The plan is to let nature take its course. King tides are expected soon.

EDIT:

Apparently the naughty word filter does not like the species name of the whale - I'll leave you to guess, or click the link.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed link
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1