The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just to add, the term was originally meant to mean "freedom to speak". In other words "your voice will be heard". The notion that you could make-up a load of complete cobblers and get away with it was not protected.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I believe that there is a passage in the New Testament that says that the mouth and words are the most dangerous weapons, so be careful how you use it. . One of Paul's letters, James, I think.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente. The new water tank was duly bought and installed and is now half full..Freshbcheese sones were consumed when the other was delivered. Ater lunch and a break I resumed shovelling and the first raised bed is not full. Not too many aching muscles today so that 's a bonus. I certainly got some aerobic excercise. Rugby was not watched. Thankfully.

Beth is off to a charity shop with a friend today so I will be go on my own. The bar owner, where I will have my coffee, will no doubt have something to say about the rugby result.

As I will have the house to myself it will be curried eggs for lunch.

Then some more shovelling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I’d far rather watch the football than most of the other cr*p that is shown on the telly. Including the rugby - and that’s even when England do win. And as for repair shop and flog it and endless bake off throwdown sewing bee …

It'll be interesting to see if the Presenters' actions backfire on them, though I somehow doubt it:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/good-riddance-to-virtue-signalling-football-pundits/ar-AA18uWTI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=bb2b9df60a1d4b5a9f9d3d3156f39a22&ei=51

I agree with the bake off** and flog it dross, though I do find some Repair Shop episodes interesting (I'd quite like to see in-depth episodes showing more "how to" techniques, rather than just skim over the surface; I did watch one so-called "expert" (not one of the regulars) soldering a couple of pieces of metal together and the result looked a right tram smash....

(**I suspect that @iL Dottore may quite like some of those programmes).

Bear here......

Not a bad snooze, but gave up at 0520 due to an impending No. 1 + the paw.

Incidentally, Bear is knocking off the Tea intake somewhat (I was a six mugger, but now down to 3 a day) with the last around 6pm; it's all in an attempt to reduce the desire for a silly A.M. No. 1 - apparently the Caffeine(?) can cause it - IIRC it was @PhilJ W that may have suggested it a while back - and early results suggest that Phil may have been onto something.  LDC awarded***

Right, time to fire up the Washing Machine ☹️, quite possibly followed by the soldering iron 🙂.

Bear gone.

(***Bear can't remember what LDC takes like - it's been " a while" since I last bought one cos' cake prices in the local Co-op seem to have gone thru' the roof in recent months thanks to a certain Ruskie Tw@t; all no doubt due to the gas & leccy price increases - I dread to think what Mr. Kipling's G/E bill looks like.....).  That's a Mega Rant, by the way.  🤬🤬

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl 

3 hour sleep long awake thinking of shelf building, 2.5 hours sleep.

I mentioned a little while ago a herd of red deer in a field nearby, yesterday there was a long trail of hoof prints across the ploughed field around us about thirty foot wide, a big herd.

They were heading in the direction of Sea Palling..

https://fb.watch/jdccgBcrxX/

Ben the I went out Collie appeared, we've been on patrol, dull, breezy, grey clouds, and there had obviously been rain.

I do hope a certain person doesn't get his job back, £1.35 million of your and my money just for sitting about and pontificating about more over paid people kicking a ball around is a ridiculous amount. 

Oh joy more rain and 50mph winds tomorrow, followed by snow on Tuesday, this is not getting the boat finished.

Time to get some breakfast, I've got sailing to go to.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which is why I responded to your original comments which were absent the context of an individual making a comment outside his employment by a media outlet.

Without going into politics here and entirely separate from the BBC / "due impartiality" conversation, the political world that swirls around me is swarmed by so-called "free speech" issues.

Disinformation is becoming indistinguishable from fact*. Popular "news" outlets promote lies that the presenters themselves know to be entirely fabricated - now a matter of court record in legal depositions. Politicians blame corporate social media companies for "censoring" them - when their comments were either lies, hate speech, incitement to violence or all three.

* The well-informed can seek out "trusted sources" but in the abstract, how does one know a source is trustworthy? (Many believe the traffickers of lies are a "trusted source".)

It is a serious problem.

I think few would argue that disinformation is a problem. The issue is to identify it. And people should call it out when they see it.

We have ended up in a situation where governments have low credibility, the media probably less credibility, and I fully understand why if I look at both. It's not a party political or media organization issue as it is a general problem across the board. Even respectable broadsheet news papers. That is profoundly unhealthy for democracy.

And it is getting worse. I have now started observing government statements that are demonstrably false, not distorting reality, exaggerating, minimizing or presenting information out of context but demonstrably false. And when I challenged one person on their statement the reaction showed they knew it (I respected the fact that they made no attempt to try and BS their way out of it). The statements were made in a plenary session of a UN agency, how are countries meant to negotiate complex problems in such an environment?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! 

A bit more walkabout before a cricket AGM tonight at 7pm... yep a Sunday evening!!

As usual UK PLC are trying to fix  the wrong problem.. like most countries the need to look at the whole of a problem to fix it at source is far,too difficult for most people.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How did that work out for Socrates?

Not very well, (I’m assuming that this was a rhetorical question). But death and other severe penalties have always been both a risk of or a consequence of “speaking truth to power”

Regarding retrospectively judging how “good” or “bad” a society (or state) was, I think that this can be very problematic. Nearly everyone now agrees that slavery is Not A Good Thing, but in the Roman Empire (for example), not only was slavery a critical and essential part of Roman life but most manumitted slaves went on to be slave owners themselves. A state of affairs Roman citizens (of all classes) were very happy with at the time. Certainly not a social structure that should be repeated today, but equally not something we should judge by today’s standards.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

55 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I think few would argue that disinformation is a problem. The issue is to identify it. And people should call it out when they see it.

We have ended up in a situation where governments have low credibility, the media probably less credibility, and I fully understand why if I look at both. It's not a party political or media organization issue as it is a general problem across the board. Even respectable broadsheet news papers. That is profoundly unhealthy for democracy.

And it is getting worse. I have now started observing government statements that are demonstrably false, not distorting reality, exaggerating, minimizing or presenting information out of context but demonstrably false. And when I challenged one person on their statement the reaction showed they knew it (I respected the fact that they made no attempt to try and BS their way out of it). The statements were made in a plenary session of a UN agency, how are countries meant to negotiate complex problems in such an environment?

I would certainly agree with your comments about a lack of respect for opponents and the organisations that are meant to govern and inform us. But this is something that has been going on for a considerable time. What seems to have happened though recently is the acceptance that nothing can be done about it.

Re the statement about not doing or saying things that could cause problems for your employer. I think yourll find certainly on this side of the pond that there there is a clause similar to the quoted BBC ? example in most contracts of employment. To me the situation is one of power pure and simple ii.e can the BBC afford to not say something

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, southern42 said:

I am currently waiting for some bread pudding to finish cooking in the oven. The smell is making me impatient. I think I shall have to make a mugadecaf to pass the time....

Yummy...

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny and warmer.... 8.4C and rising though I am still wearing the extra layers!

Hope your day goes well.

Polly

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica was still with me when I went to bed last night but has eased to 'just comfortable', which means don't do anything to start it up again.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here......

Not a bad snooze, but gave up at 0520 due to an impending No. 1 + the paw.

Incidentally, Bear is knocking off the Tea intake somewhat (I was a six mugger, but now down to 3 a day) with the last around 6pm; it's all in an attempt to reduce the desire for a silly A.M. No. 1 - apparently the Caffeine(?) can cause it - IIRC it was @PhilJ W that may have suggested it a while back - and early results suggest that Phil may have been onto something.  LDC awarded***

Bread pudding would be much preferable, I find LDC a bit too sweet for me. I've also got to reduce my sugar intake, my BG is near but not quite T2 levels so I need to reduce my sugar intake.

Right, time to fire up the Washing Machine ☹️, quite possibly followed by the soldering iron 🙂.

Bear gone.

My washing machine is ancient, about 40 years old. Rather heavy on the leccy so I tried various programs and found one that only uses half the leccy and runs for 45 minutes less but the contents still come out as clean.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I agree with the bake off** and flog it dross, though I do find some Repair Shop episodes interesting (I'd quite like to see in-depth episodes showing more "how to" techniques, rather than just skim over the surface; I did watch one so-called "expert" (not one of the regulars) soldering a couple of pieces of metal together and the result looked a right tram smash....

(**I suspect that @iL Dottore may quite like some of those programmes).

@iL Dottore only watches Masterchef - The Professionals and even then just at the beginning when the contestants have to get through the skills tests (I find it astounding that many of the professional chef contestants are unable to manage simple cooking skills that even I, as a complete amateur, can manage with ease).

The other programmes you mentioned, Bear, I find completely unwatchable: even The Great British Bake Off – which was quite enjoyable at the beginning with the original presenters on the BBC and which was often quite instructive – has become a pathetic (and emotional) shadow of its former self.

And what’s with all this blubbing and getting all emotional on programs (like the above)? Has Britain turned in to a nation of Fotherington-Thomases? What ever happened to that incredibly valuable and practically unique in the world British stoicism and stiff upper lip?

The Repair Shop, which, at first seemed promising, and a way to highlight the superb skills of many of the featured craftsman, has now turned in to an emotional blubfest. Quite frankly, I could do with a lot, lot, less of Uncle Frank bursting into tears, because the craftsmen have repaired his ancient clockwork locomotive that he got from his Grandad and more about how the craftsmen actually turned a piece of rusted up tin junk into a working clockwork locomotive again.

TBH It’s very difficult not to come to the conclusion that a huge number of influential individuals in the British broadcasting industry regard the British public as having an emotional and intellectual age of a 2 year old toddler

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, forgot to post earlier.

An entirely boring wedding anniversary today, as we can't be ar$ed to go out into the howling wind, showers and 9c 'feels like' 3.  We're not big into counting, but the next one will be a round figure and possibly LMS based.  That's only the official count anyway, there's another 2 to add to that in effect.

Our plans this weekend were ruined by the weather, so it will pass in a blur of housework - new mattress arriving Tuesday so we need to evict whatever is lurking under the bed. Dust for sure, and whatever Donk has left under there.  The memory foam mattress seems to have become a forgettory foam one (copyright ChrisF, much missed) as we're both complaining about spine discomfort after sleep - or attempts at.  As it cost the gross national product of a reasonably well off country, this is somewhat disappointing.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All.

We are off to see MiL in Enfield today. We have received lots of video and  photos from Aditi’s cousin’s wedding in India yesterday. We may have some more arriving soon to show MiL today. I suspect there will be an official video soon, it looked like a film crew were recording everything. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Now. About that bread pudding. Does it cure colds?  I’m sure it would make me feel better. 

It should do you good, its not called comfort food for nothing!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I would certainly agree with your comments about a lack of respect for opponents and the organisations that are meant to govern and inform us. But this is something that has been going on for a considerable time. What seems to have happened though recently is the acceptance that nothing can be done about it.

I think that's a really worrying scenario. Our processes depend on a certain degree of confidence in government and the media. If that is lost we risk an ever increasing chasm between those who govern and those who are governed, and that seldom ends well.

I remember the guffaws that met the awful Gove comments about experts. It is still presented as evidence that a large part of the population is so thick they eschew expertise. If his comment is read in full it is actually quite a perspicacious observation of a fundamental problem. It isn't that people deny the value of expertise, it is that they have lost confidence in some of those claiming to be experts. A very different statement, and one which is difficult to argue with if we look at the state of many things.

I worry about the future and where it is all heading.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I think I am fortunate in not having much interest in most sports any more.  I do not like the "primadonna" attitude of many sports people and cannot stand most pundits.  If I decide to watch sport on TV all I need  is a simple commentary including names of players I haven't heard of.  Anything else I can sort out for myself.

I did watch the rugby yesterday,  it would have helped if England had mentally turned up for the game - they seemed more like a disorganised rabble.

I won't say anything about the comments being made on media platforms by various people - I'm old enough now to know that there are at least two sides to every argument and neither "side" has the monopoly of the truth.  Hence the need for "free speech" but sometimes it is best to think before opening ones mouth or typing.

All I will say is that every time I have had any involvement with "the media" through work very little of what was written/shown/said bore any relation at all to what actually happened.

David

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I tried to convince MiL that her brothers are returning to Delhi from Mussoorie on the bike after the family wedding.  
523379BD-8A75-489B-8FC2-B926CECC46EC.jpeg.37ffba8f631aa1ed95be748867b9742c.jpeg

This was taken on a walk round the town this morning. Aditi’s sister, two uncles and our Swiss resident nephew. 
Tony

• Like 17

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I think I am fortunate in not having much interest in most sports any more.  I do not like the "primadonna" attitude of many sports people and cannot stand most pundits. 

Hear, Hear Dave,

Totally agree with you,

Another Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1