RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Miserable weather. Flooded roads. A fatal accident (waved past by locals holding bed-sheets as screens) and some absolutely crazy motorists (in which part of the Highway Code does it say you may follow-through when the leading vehicle overtakes a stationary bus using the opposite lane and forces oncoming traffic to stop?) 

But here we are. 

C2607E83-36FE-485C-BEB3-D1AA28EC569F.jpeg.bb22f9c92ef77eb1eeeb1b3ea81d57bf.jpeg

92DC630B-157E-4323-AC84-7EE619906C42.jpeg.ef330c4fc10ee6aec9e6521145772b3e.jpeg

34C3AA52-25AA-4FAE-935E-71B3CC6B0962.jpeg.bd87c89d7385a2b825d4227bf6296230.jpeg

2C5B1FDE-C508-45AA-A6A5-A2E84E58ACA3.jpeg.affdf14eb5bc4689c60316958552f63a.jpeg

Lovely busses those Green RTs.

LT Green Line? Right? Didn’t they also have an unique logo as well (or did that come later, after the RTs were retired?).

It’s quite the pity that successive governments and various administrations have chosen to bu99er up what was once an excellent joined up and integrated public transport (LT). It was never perfect (what ever is?) but clever investment and wise management could have kept LT successful.

So much of Britain’s infrastructure has been sacrificed on the altar of the personal automobile (and often ideologically driven as well)  

A “food-for-thought”  quote from Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogotá “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The carrier being used as a hangar queen, as the RAF call it, is not unusual. Most bases have one, every so often someone declares no more Hangar Queens. They promptly run out of spares, and another aircraft becomes the hangar Queen.

Bear has heard stories from ex. RAF guys at work of (almost the) latest brand-new Aircraft being cannibalised as soon as they reach a Squadron.

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Lots of catching up to do and have come home to a domestic appliance problem which may be terminal. 

Oh no, not the Air Fryer......?🤣

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One final thing, in Japan you also have Living National Treasures - those individuals certified as Preservers of Important Intangible Cultural Properties. So master craftsmen, craftswomen, artists and artisans whose skills in their particular area of expertise are superlative. Such masters are paid a modest stipend by tye Japanese government (averaging about ¥2 million  [about £12000]) so that they can concentrate on their work.

£12K a year for being an expert Cake Scoffer does have a certain attraction.

3 hours ago, PhilH said:

IMG_0081.jpeg

A very nice Doggie...but does emit a certain "F. with me and you'll regret it" look.....

23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

.... (in which part of the Highway Code does it say you may follow-through when the leading vehicle overtakes a stationary bus using the opposite lane and forces oncoming traffic to stop?) 

Standard practice around Bear Towers and the surrounding area.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

One of the fruits of this attitude can be found at Sudbury Hall in Derbyshire.  In the hands of the NT since 1967, it has recently been repurposed as The Childrens Country House at Sudbury

While the exhibits of the Elizabeth Cadbury toy collection are interesting, their display is less than coherent  (possibly due to the lack of skilled curators?) and the history of this fine building has disappeared under a wave of dumbed down "interpretation". There are no conventionally displayed rooms to tell of the life and times of the house . The gardens are little more than a playground for young visitors.

Car parking is a hoot too, approximately a quarter mile hike to the house, crossing a busy road, not entirely suitable for the grandparents who might take their grandchildren on a visit...

I've also noted that the NT is hiking on the door admission prices.  If you visit more than a handful of NT properties through the year, membership is still cost effective!

btw I visited the property during the cold, wet spell after Easter. There's a good caff, but no NT shop was apparent unless it was accessed through the caff, which I didn't visit. Also to access the caff, you have to have paid to enter the property.

Edited by Hroth
miner spelin errer and a note
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

4 hours ago, PhilH said:

Whatever you’re doing, enjoy the day.

IMG_0081.jpeg

That’s a lovely dog, Phil. And I recognise that look very well.

It’s the look that Lucy adopts when I have done something to annoy her for some reason. It’s a very shrewd, calculating look, which basically means “ you do know that in less than five seconds I can get to you and have your jugular out. Care to have a rethink?”

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The Critic is a magazine produced for and by conservative contrarians.  So it would say that sort of thing. The article was written in 2020 when all places were somewhat affected by Covid. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

A nice sunny day so far with a blue sea and light north easterly wind so still cool.

Yesterday was dull and dismal and got wetter as the day went on - nearly 0.5" of rain by teatime.  I decided to stay at home and started by repairing an old Argos set of bookshelves by reinforcing the joints with plastic blocks and screws.  It looks a lot better now and should last for many more years.

Next I worked out why I couldn't do a Sudoku on Friday - it turned out I had the same number twice in a set of 9 squares, not something I often do - but I was tired when I did it - at least that is my excuse.  Having sorted that out it was easy to complete.

From coffee until lunchtime I looked some of my old photos on the TV which brough back very happy memories of holidays in Germany, Austria and Switzerland about 1991/2.

In the afternoon I had a walk which was a bit painful once again, probably the damp weather.  Then kit was modelmaking until tea time, once I had unearthed the bits I needed from the storage boxes.  Later on it was the usual music and TV.

Really a very pleasant peaceful day when nothing went wrong.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

There are an awful lot of old country mansions taken in by the NT. This was because the former owners could manage their inheritance tax by donating their homes to the NT. Smaller homes of interest have been presented or purchased. The “Backs” in Birmingham are good examples of non stately home. Some of the old stately homes that don’t have much architectural value but have nice grounds where various national collections can be housed. Many places were really affected during covid as many volunteer lead activities ceased. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Nope, the dishwasher (not me, the electric one)  and that to me is a most essential item.  Seems like the heating element is kaput and initial investigations suggest it could be quite an expensive repair (one or more Deltics possibly) but need to check a bit more tomorrow.  As the machine is over 8 years old might be just as well to get a new one.  TCs x lots.

Our first dishwasher had a visible heating element but of course it never failed. The next one had some sort of throughflow heated pump rather than an element. I think the present one has some sort of heat exchanger.  The manufacturer of most of our appliances has a fixed price repair for out of warranty devices. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well.....

The "Alert test" was as irritating as it was expected to be, it's definitly worth disabling alerts in future!

and buqqered an unscheduled Sunday afternon nap 😒

Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon folks. Doing a little catching up after being away for a few days.   

On 21/04/2023 at 06:06, iL Dottore said:

.... And whilst on the subject of cars: does anyone on ER have any experience of/with the current generation FIAT 500? I’m toying with idea of buying a secondhand one so I’m not without motorised transport when Mrs iD is in the Holiday Hovel with Hettie the Yeti.

Our neighbour had a Fiat 500 for a few months until some [prat] ran into it and wrote it off. Non-scientific feedback was she really liked it and was happy with. Until she saw the crumpled wreckage - thankfully she was not in it at the time of impact. I gather there was some speed, alcohol and a solid 'cue-ball' vehicle involved. Subject to safety ratings, I'd consider getting one if the specs fitted the type of vehicle I was looking for. 

On 21/04/2023 at 07:35, Barry O said:

Attended a cricket umpires meeting last night.. ended up checking with the MCC about the interpretation of putting saliva on the ball. Just shows that once you get the grass roots umpires looking into the Laws (written by a team of top level umpires) the loopholes are quickly identified.... 

[Head scratching emoji]. If we were talking a cross between Crufts' flyball and Chris taking River out for an hour's retrieving exercise in the field, then I can see how that might be a concern. And why you might want to put a dry flannel in your pocket... But cricket ... sheesh! 

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well.....

The "Alert test" was as irritating as it was expected to be, it's definitely worth disabling alerts in future!

The irony of paradox... 

Definitely a buzz (with a certain American twang!) rather than the siren or bleep the media advertised it would be. Given the government's increasing reputation for inaccuracy, I see a lot of people disabling the alerts. I recall a warning about flooding when I was in Wales, reminiscent of the scene in Zulu when the missionary wails, "You're all going to die". Not - be very careful, you're at risk/high probability of having to leg it to the hills at short notice/you might want to consider spending the night elsewhere - but, stay there and you're dead, the second Flood is coming... Some precautions were taken by yours truly and neighbours but the time passed, no drama or problems whatsoever. Serious loss of credibility. 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Since mobile phones don't work in many areas round here, I've a feeling the first time people will know about floods is the water coming through the door..

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Since mobile phones don't work in many areas round here, I've a feeling the first time people will know about floods is the water coming through the door..

Having been on holiday last year in two no phone signal areas I did wonder about that. 
I did ask my brother who used to spend a lot of time on phone towers why the maps showing phone service areas didn’t match reality. He did explain. It must be very frustrating for people in certain low signal areas to learn about 3G masts being decommissioned when they never had it at all. My cousin lives in one of the parts of Solihull that always insist on the local,”village” name instead. The mobile signal is appalling, on any carrier. The locals have objected strenuously to any masts for all kinds of conspiracy theory health reasons. The new 5G mast was set on fire during the Covid outbreak. 

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Still about  6 pages behind but at least I got to watch one rugby match.  The Hip asked for more Tramadol earlier,  I think a visit to the doc may be on the cards.

As we've done a lot of eating and drinking over the past few days a chicken salad is tonight's offering (with of course an air fried baked potato PB!)  One small glass of wine may accompany it but later on I may well open one of the bottles of Penderyn or bottles of brandy that were obtained from the duty free shop.  (4 litres per person possible now but I only brought my allowance back, carrying it for The Boss's quota would have been a bit too much for my three friends (Back, Hip and Knee) and she didn't want anything.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2023 at 15:06, DaveF said:

I felt very tired during the day, I've realised I did more than I thought on Wednesday and I am not quite as young as I was. As I am only 73 I get annoyed when I get tired.

As I am only 74 I get annoyed very easily at most things.....🤪

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One final thing, in Japan you also have Living National Treasures - those individuals certified as Preservers of Important Intangible Cultural Properties

Im pretty sure many countries have one of these kind of things.

Russell Crowe is on ours.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

As I am only 74 I get annoyed very easily at most things.....🤪

...including bad parking.  My Peugeot 3008 is the largest car I've had and with some car parking spaces being ridiculously small I try to be extra careful.  Interestingly on our cruise last week Steve's car (New Land Rover Defender 110) was parked by the cruise terminal parking people across two spaces in the secure car park and I noted they were doing that with all larger cars, obviously to make sure no damage occurred that could be blamed on them.  He doesn't use public car parks at all unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Having been on holiday last year in two no phone signal areas I did wonder about that. 
I did ask my brother who used to spend a lot of time on phone towers why the maps showing phone service areas didn’t match reality. He did explain. It must be very frustrating for people in certain low signal areas to learn about 3G masts being decommissioned when they never had it at all. My cousin lives in one of the parts of Solihull that always insist on the local,”village” name instead. The mobile signal is appalling, on any carrier. The locals have objected strenuously to any masts for all kinds of conspiracy theory health reasons. The new 5G mast was set on fire during the Covid outbreak. 

I suppose that they then complain that the signal is poor and that the company should 'do something about it'.

• Agree 9

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just heard the "Alert test". Just a thought, if its for the UK why the American accent?

I'd come to the conclusion that it was my phones standard text to speech voice, rather than something selected by the government.  It did sound like a feral zombie...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6