The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

wandered, lonely as a cloud

I was told Wordsworth original draft,was “lonely as a cow” but his sister suggested cloud was more poetic. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 6

Afternoon All,

Yesterday didn’t get much done, only the lawn mowed and even then the edges weren’t trimmed.

So far today a bit off paperwork done and my vans cab has had a bit of a clean.

SWMBO out fetching Syd while I await the delivery of my new passport while arrived shortly after SWMBO left.

Just having a quick coffee before Sydney arrives as then all hell will break loose.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis has quietened down but the hay fever is back. Its a bit windy out thats helping to make it feel cold. Out to Tess Coes later for bread and milk.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

An area I used to fish regularly, even moored my boat in the same spot, is the pub still there at the end of the dyke?

The Thurne lion. It's getting a good reputation under its new owners of a couple of years..

https://www.thelionatthurne.com/

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just watching escape to the country.. estate agent says here we are in Wroxham... No he not he's in Hoveton, Wroxham is the other side of the river.

Now she on about being near Dereham... Now would that be West or East Dereham?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was told Wordsworth original draft,was “lonely as a cow”

A cow which floats on high o'er vales and hills.  

OK OK I know pigs fly because I have the Pink Floyd album which illustrates exactly that on the cover.  But cows floating?????  

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

But cows floating?????

I am sure Dorothy would have got him to change a few other words once the cow was transformed to a cloud.

There is a long tradition of cow aviation in English literature especially jumping over the moon. 
I may of course be wrong as I wasn’t considered clever enough to take the O level literature paper, just language. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had a nice quiet day.  The housework, washing and ironing have been completed to my satisfaction.  Then I moved the furniture in the bedroom and put one chest of drawers in the garage.  I shouldn't stub my toe again as there is more space.  Most things in the drawers of the removed chest now have new homes as have a few ornaments.  A small bookcase was also moved after it was emptied, then later the books were put back.

Next was coffee and a read of a magazine just after which the postlady bought my parcel which I unpacked and checked - later today I hope to look at the books.  A few minutes later the other postlady brough my ordinary post, just a magazine.  I checked the greenhouse and made sure the window vent was working correctly and dead headed.  I filled the birdbath.

By now it was lunchtime, after that I edited tomorrow's grocery order - to be honest I changed about half the things on the list and managed to spend a little bit more but achieved a 20% discount by choosing the things on offer - though it was partly by chance.  I also filled the birdbath again.

After that I settled down to the DVD which was a trip from Edinburgh to Newcastle in the driving seat (well next to it) in a conveyance which runs on steel strips and is powered by electricity.  I was able to check that some viewpoints from the surrounding countryside are still available.  I think that at one point I may have seen my car parked by the roadside, sadly the DVD doesn't give the date it was filmed.  During that I had a cup of tea and a piece of chocolate cake. I also filled the birdbath again.

The next task is to water the greenhouse, outdoor pots and fill the birdbath yet again.  The birds delight in emptying it as soon as it is filled by bathing and splashing their wings about.  After that it will be time for tea, the local news, replying to some e mails and then a read and TV.

In other words a nice relaxing day.  My toe has only hurt when I have forgotten and put some weight on that side of my foot.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

A personal favourite of Bears:

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2013/07/24

A quick dash to the Co-op for milk, followed by shifting the trolley jack and a Bernerd Collet Chuck & Collets from the boot of the Bearmobile down to the shed; the latter items belong to a buddy of Bear's and I'll be listing them on the 'bay for him - they should raise a nice few quid as they are rather desirable items.

Then it was all the fun of applying the first topcoat of paint to the architrave pieces destined for the muddlin' room door frame - I'll be able to place them in position temporarily tomorrow to see how well the colour works (or not...) with the wall colours.

BG

• Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There is a long tradition of cow aviation in English literature especially jumping over the moon. 

Indeed.  British Bovine Airways beat NASA to it by many years.

• Like 4
  • Funny 7