Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

The Royal Yacht Squadron based in Cowes castle (built 1539)  applied for permission to change the 1920s to  1950s critall windows with double glazed... Permission refused, you can't change original features in a listed building. I don't know the eventual solution but do know they had huge problems with the planners.

The crazy thing is the Planners will fight tooth & nail to retain a feature that may adversely affect the structure of a historic building (I'm not referring to the Crittall Windows here) in preference to something far more likely to preserve it.

38 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Returning to the news, my Google home page on my smartphone had an excited clickbait headline about 120 countries may refuse entry to British people with red passports. I know I shouldn't have given it was classic UK newspaper clickbait but still having a red passport I opened the link just to check whether I had missed something. No, the story was that many countries require 6 months validity on passports to be allowed entry, i.e. they're repackaging a requirement that applies to all passports and has done since as long as I can remember as another bit of fear/outrage fodder. Then they wonder why they're a joke (note, I would not complain about a sensible article reminding people of this, it is the clickbait outrage fodder I hate).

Bear once saw a Guy arrive in Kuwait, only to be bounced entry because of this very reason - so he was stuck airside.  Fortunately after a few phone calls to "contacts" they let him in, but I suspect lesser mortals may have had problems.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5