Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

22 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

The Back and The  Knee here.  Our owner has been on his feet for about 4 hours in The Shed and has possibly overdone it as we are hurting.  However he has managed to ballast roughly 12 feet of track which in real terms he believes equates to about 300 yds.  Not bad for a one man P-Way gang.  Only about another 500 yds for him to do.  We are not looking forward to it.

I actually found ballasting quite therapeutic, though because I built my layout at around 3 feet 6 inches(imperial measurements as it's a pre Beeching steam one) it was less strenuous on the back, no leaning down.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Despite sleeping well last night I felt the need for some eyelid inspection after lunch, it ceased only half an hour ago. Now its time for dinner, cauliflower cheese. I've applied to up my equity release so that I can buy my new car. I'll pop down to the dealer and book a test drive tomorrow.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

The Back and The  Knee here.  Our owner has been on his feet for about 4 hours in The Shed and has possibly overdone it as we are hurting.  However he has managed to ballast roughly 12 feet of track which in real terms he believes equates to about 300 yds.  Not bad for a one man P-Way gang.  Only about another 500 yds for him to do.  We are not looking forward to it.

Has GDB seen Norman Solomon's all-in-one track laying and ballasting demo?  Does it in a couple of minutes or so.  The rest of us?  Perhaps not.....

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Not all doom and gloom here.

Bil just been and collected some of his stuff....

Bear "had a word".....🤣

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

.....and swmbo brought me these back from Penistone !

Bear "had another word......" 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Something is getting lost in translation because THIS is what I meant by a donk.

When I was in the RAF, donk was a common slang term for an engine of any sort.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Just had a phishing e-mail asking me to renew my TV licence. The sender had an e-mail address ie (Ireland?) instead of uk. 

Me too, which was potentially dangerous because my TV licence is actually due at the end of this month. It makes me wonder whether the scrotes have access to some records that they shouldn't or was it just coincidence?

Dave

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I might be changing my car soon but I have to get it taxed by the end of the month. At least its only £35 for the year.

17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Me too, which was potentially dangerous because my TV licence is actually due at the end of this month. It makes me wonder whether the scrotes have access to some records that they shouldn't or was it just coincidence?

Dave

I thought that as well but I've been paying by direct debit for years so wherever they got the information from it must be pretty ancient. Another couple of errors were they used the name from my e-mail address which has a number tagged on the end and that was included as in 'Dear P***** W******#' and the date was American, month-day-year. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

On 24/07/2023 at 01:54, PhilJ W said:

There is a theory that global warming will make Northwest Europe cooler. Meltwater from the polar regions is fresh water and this will cut off the Gulf Stream which warms up our climate.

By coincidence, this was in the news today:

CNN: A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that ‘would affect every person on the planet’

... the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Current – of which the Gulf Stream is a part – could collapse around the middle of the century, or even as early as 2025.

Relatedly, an ocean buoy off the south Florida coast reported ocean water temperatures >38°C (101.1°F).

CNN: Florida ocean temps surge to 100 degrees as mass coral bleaching event is found in some reefs

CBS: Florida ocean temperatures surpass 100 degrees Fahrenheit, potentially a world record 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I actually found ballasting quite therapeutic, though because I built my layout at around 3 feet 6 inches(imperial measurements as it's a pre Beeching steam one) it was less strenuous on the back, no leaning down.

12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

@tigerburnie  TB my OO layout is 3 feet 3 and a bit inches high so not really too low for a just about 5 ft 10 ins GDB.   However The Back likes to complain even when I'm standing up straight!  OTOH my O gauge shelf is above the OO and is 5 feet 2 inches high so I use a step for that although it's only got some bare track on it.  Three link couplings are a bit of a pain, (that's putting it mildly) I didn't really think it through properly when I built it and it's on the "list" to be redone..........eventually.

For some reason my layout was built with the track bed at 1 metre off the floor.  It' s actually quite comfy to work on and the lower back doesn'complain too much.  3link couplings are still tricky at that height. 

Good moaning.  We could do with some rain here.  However I managed to cut most of the grass yesterday.  This morning will be, as yet, unspecified pottering. 

Regards to all and Sundry. 

Jamie

• Like 17