RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Not only is it the healthiest of all red meats it is far healthier than some fish and a lot healthier than intensively farmed chicken and turkey.

Apparently its actually Kangaroo that holds that spot, all things considered, also kangaroos are less harmful to the environment so farming them commercially would be a lot less damaging than other meat sources. they also require a lot less water and food than other grazing animals.

Pretty much no one eats them here though because you see them hopping around the paddocks and bush and they look too cute with the little baby heads sticking out of pouches etc, , they  do better overseas where they aren't  present  as a wild animal to see them in the natural environment.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/is-kangaroo-the-best-red-meat-on-the-planet-2106610.html

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Not bought Heinz beans for a long time, it's always Branston here.

Talking to my mate Russ next door earlier and it appears his youngest daughter who is a keen sports fan was struck in the face by a cricket ball clouted by Harry Brook at The Oval today.  Waiting for her to come home to see how much damage there is.

She can't be that much of a fan. She was not watching the ball.

Some fine batting from Brook yesterday on a day when conditions were so difficult. I think that we are in for a few years of stylish batting performances from the England team.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats why I eat venison. In the UK all venison is culled from wild herds and is killed in a similar manner to that described above. Not only is it the healthiest of all red meats it is far healthier than some fish and a lot healthier than intensively farmed chicken and turkey. It is also cheaper than beef at certain times of the year due to the timing of the cull. The cull is essential for the health of the herd, if they weren't culled the herd would become too large for its range resulting in a shortage of food causing starvation and disease

Actually Phil a large amount is farmed, there's a Red Deer farm just outside Forfar, who is a large supplier in the area. There's a semi captive herd on Bradgate Park in Leicestershire that supplies venison, I remember that in the early 1960's.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Actually Phil a large amount is farmed, there's a Red Deer farm just outside Forfar, who is a large supplier in the area. There's a semi captive herd on Bradgate Park in Leicestershire that supplies venison, I remember that in the early 1960's.

There were a few much nearer than that to Phil. The ones in the fields on the Essex side of the M25 were raised to be Bambiburgers or similar 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

There was a pub next to Swarkestone Bridge in Derbyshire that sold all sorts of unusual meats, I had Kangaroo, my son had Alligator and the wife and daughter had chicken, fussy pair those two......................

I'll have an alligator sandwich, and make it snappy!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

There was a pub next to Swarkestone Bridge in Derbyshire that sold all sorts of unusual meats, I had Kangaroo, my son had Alligator and the wife and daughter had chicken, fussy pair those two......................

There's a farm shop near to me that sells all those kind of things. 

I was wondering with all this talk of fussy eating... the meats 'we' tend to eat are mainly grass fed and herbivores and not naturally omnivores in most cases (obviously not poultry), so I was wondering if there was a massive difference in taste between those and say alligator ?

edit:  saying that, my Great Aunt Min from Eastleigh, told us when we were kids that people were sold cats as rabbit meat during the war.   She said the only difference once skinned, beheaded, de-feeted and tail removed, is that a cat has an extra rib.  Of course that wouldn't have worked in rural Somerset but on the periphery of a bombed Southampton people certainly bought them.  Whether they knew but didn't care is another matter.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

Petrol requires an external source of ignition to ignite. Li-ion batteries can ignite with no external ignition source. That's a very big difference.

Double quote

The point I was trying to make is that an energy source has a finite amount of energy (whether a cell or liquid fuel) and if that amount of energy is small, the amount of damage is small.  Nevertheless caution should be applied

So it is only when you get a lot of cells together that they present a major source of danger. 

Of course in the wrong environment the failure of a single cell can lead to serious consequences and the examples of cells being damaged in waste and recycling centres and exploding is a classic case since the damaged cell is likely to be surrounded by flammable materials - crisp packets, yoghurt pots and even the rubbish sack - which will easily ignite and a small pop almost instantly becomes a significant fire. 

So when recharging small low power items, think about the environment.  Don't for example place the phone on the window ledge, where in the event of a cell failure you could well set curtains or blinds alight.  Ditto your laptop on the desk sat next to all those demands for payment and other post that you intend to deal with later.

Incidentally petrol can be made to spontaneously ignite though that would be unusual.   Of course its close relative, diesel, relies on spontaneous combustion for its operation in engines.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We buy almost all of our meat direct from the farm, we have "Hairy Coo" or Highland Cow to you, supposedly lower in cholesterol, or at least that's what the farmers wifey tells us. Pork is outdoor bred, there are fields full of them about 2 miles away, they are reared more intensively in a barn later though, not found any slow grown Pork round here. Venison is Roe, which is shot not farmed, I find Red Deer meat too strong like liver or kidney, which I also don't like.

The Haggis is free roaming shot in the Glens during the hunting season...............................................................😎

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

There's a farm shop near to me that sells all those kind of things. 

I was wondering with all this talk of fussy eating... the meats 'we' tend to eat are mainly grass fed and herbivores and not naturally omnivores in most cases (obviously not poultry), so I was wondering if there was a massive difference in taste between those and say alligator ?

edit:  saying that, my Great Aunt Min from Eastleigh, told us when we were kids that people were sold cats as rabbit meat during the war.   She said the only difference once beheaded, de-feeted and tail removed, is that a cat has an extra rib.  Of course that wouldn't have worked in rural Somerset but on the periphery of a bombed Southampton people certainly bought them.  Whether they knew but didn't care is another matter.

Cat has a very strong taste.. Once had it by mistake in a mixed grill at a restaurant in Ankara...

Baz

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Tried Kangaroo, alligator and various other bits of meat.. as her indoors says.. tastes just like chicken.....but its generally served with spices and herbs to give it taste..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Cat has a very strong taste.. Once had it by mistake in a mixed grill at a restaurant in Ankara...

Baz

If you ate Chinse or Indian food in Leicester in the 1960's there was an odds on chance you ate dog or cat, several restaurants made the front page of the local rag after the health officials paid a visit.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

a brand new black Tesla SUV

Tesla paint jobs have a reputation. This is one of the problems with being a 'start-up' automotive supplier. There is a lot of learned best practices with automotive paint application and they haven't been doing it for very long compared with any IC engine automobile supplier - even those from Korea.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Bonus points to @Ozexpatriate if he can name the presenter.

I'm in a bit of a rush and only listened to the first few seconds. I don't remember but first impressions are: is it Mike Leyland? (first choice) or Mal? (second choice) It feels like this is from an episode of Ask the Leyland Brothers

I don't have time for the whole clip. I'll listen to it later.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Of course its close relative, diesel, relies on spontaneous combustion for its operation in engines.  

Injecting diesel into highly compressed and therefore very hot air can hardly be described as "spontaneous combustion". That usually applies under conditions where air is at atmospheric pressures and temperatures.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'll have an alligator sandwich, and make it snappy!

Schnappi is a baby crocodile not an agitator 🤣

Now tell me that isn't an earworm ...... Schnip Schnap Schnappi - Schnappi Schnappi Schnap!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

@PupCam.luckily SISTER drac and the Dracletes can harvest my blood at the marie celeste..only thing is..10 working days to get an appointment..

Lummy these ICC umpires (400000 Us Dollars plus expenses plus 1st Class travel apparently) would last 5 minutes in a League game in Yorkshire.. know the laws and regulations before putting your size 10s in your mouth...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@PupCam.luckily SISTER drac and the Dracletes can harvest my blood at the marie celeste..only thing is..10 working days to get an appointment..

Luxury! 😃     If only round here ......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I had a very pleasant walk along the prom and round the Battery and had another look at the replica guns - I think that from out at sea they would look quite realistic.  Then I came home supposedly in time for coffee but had quite a long chat with several neighbours, as usual we were putting the world to rights.

I eventually got coffee and have spent much of the time since watching cricket along with meals, a nap, watering the greenhouse and a bit of gardening.  Paracetamol is working quite well on the neck issue, the sinuses are still giving me a slight temperature which coms and goes, as I expected with it I feel about "one degree under" and very tired.  Every so often I have a few sneezes which helps but I think that most of the stuff in my sinuses is still solid.

At least it doesn't make me feel ill enough not to do things, I am just doing a bit less.  Now it is time for trea and more cricket, then a book again.

As a footnote I've been reading one of John Gardner's James Bond books from when he took over writing them  around 1981.  How different the stories would have been if there had been mobile phones and CCTV back then.  In the one I've just read he had to go to find a phone box several times to make urgent calls.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I ordered an item that runs on two parallel strips of metal from an emporium in Liverpool on Wednesday evening, it arrived at 09:30 this morning. Well done Hattons and Royal Mail.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The venison that I buy is marked on the packaging 'Culled from wild herds'.

5 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

edit:  saying that, my Great Aunt Min from Eastleigh, told us when we were kids that people were sold cats as rabbit meat during the war.   She said the only difference once beheaded, de-feeted and tail removed, is that a cat has an extra rib.  Of course that wouldn't have worked in rural Somerset but on the periphery of a bombed Southampton people certainly bought them.  Whether they knew but didn't care is another matter.

A stallholder in Romford market was caught selling cat as rabbit after many local cats went missing. He was lucky not to get lynched.

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

We buy almost all of our meat direct from the farm, we have "Hairy Coo" or Highland Cow to you, supposedly lower in cholesterol, or at least that's what the farmers wifey tells us. Pork is outdoor bred, there are fields full of them about 2 miles away, they are reared more intensively in a barn later though, not found any slow grown Pork round here. Venison is Roe, which is shot not farmed, I find Red Deer meat too strong like liver or kidney, which I also don't like.

The Haggis is free roaming shot in the Glens during the hunting season...............................................................😎

I don't know which breed of deer the venison I eat comes from but its not very 'gamey'. I met a chap who culls deer for a living and he reckoned the best venison is muntjac.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

erm "wild herds" are still famed (extra food in winter, counted and checked before "culls" (otherwise they could be wiped out..

and , if they are that wild how do you know they don't contain nasty bugs??

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6