The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

An evacuation order has been issued for the city of Yellowknife, the capital of Canada’s Northwest Territories. All 20,000 inhabitants are to be out of the city by midday on Friday, as an approaching wildfire is expected to reach the outskirts by the weekend. There is only a single highway south, and people are being advised to leave now if they are driving. Flights are still leaving from the airport, and a program of evacuation flights, including military aircraft, is being arranged.

Isn't Yellowknife the base for Buffalo Airways who operate DC3s, C46s etc?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered that the Sweet Potato Chips recipe in the BBC Food link posted yesterday states 180 degrees C in the instructions - presumably they forgot it initially cos' several people asked for it and they responded in the Comments with "200 degrees C".......

Perhaps this explains Bear's difficulties?

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, polybear said:

And finally.....

The UK's largest opencast coal mine has confirmed its closure date. (30 Nov 2023)

"British heritage railways and traction engine owners will now have to import coal from overseas as their only source of UK coal will end".

I just wondered. Will steam excursions into Lunnon be liable for the new ULEZ charge?

Edited by Hroth
clarification
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I just wondered. Will steam excursions be liable for the new ULEZ charge?

If they do run onto the road they will probably be exempt due to age. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 5

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I just wondered. Will steam excursions into Lunnon be liable for the new ULEZ charge?

If City Hall can make any money out of it, they will!

It's unsurprising (and a bit mind-boggling) how many new things introduced by City Hall, The Council and the like, ostensibly for the benefit of those City Hall/The Council etc. purport to serve, turn out to be - quite coincidentally - nice little income generators....

p.s. I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Window Tax. Although windows (contrary to popular belief) aren't the biggest cause of heat loss in a house, they do loose a noticeable amount of heat. So a Window Tax could be passed off as a Green Tax: the more windows you have, the more heat you lose and the more energy you use, thus contributing to environmental change. Such a tax would be a nice little earner for the authorities and provide lots of employment opportunities to brickies as people line up to get their "extra windows" bricked up!

Edited by iL Dottore
extra text added
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. BIN day today but they are late on parade and the metal faries are making the most of it. A hot and sticky night last night but I still managed five hours. No very stiff joints again this morning, even the knees are behaving themselves. Off to visit the garden railway this afternoon, a drink, cake and watching the trains go by.

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If memory serves me correctly, apologies if it doesn't, but I seem to recall a big housing estate being built in Finmere circa 2005. I doubt they would have been happy with a rubbish fire as they are a devil to extinguish.

• Like 13