The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

How about allocating today as a design a model railway day in eager anticipation now the Great H/S/L Refurb is history?   Go on, you know it makes sense.     The longer you put it off the harder it is to start.   Just ask a certain Tripehound builder how hard it is to start-up again after a long lay-off a project.

Preparation of the Muddle Railway Room must surely qualify......

Having worked in an industry that closely specifies all sorts of things (I've used BS standard Sea Water for some trials relating to an item of  Naval equipment that used to move at a phenomenal rate

Was there such a thing as a BS Chicken for use with the Chicken Gun?

A colleague once had to use BS standard vomit when testing some oxygen masks

How on earth do you get BS Vomit?  Is there some calibrated guy called Stan who barfs in a bucket as required?

"Oi, Stan - more Carrots in the next batch...."

I'm not certain how you "return" a download if indeed it's necessary.    Maybe as it is legally a "borrowed" item perhaps you are technically obliged to delete it at the end of the period?    

The freebie talking books from the Library have a loan period, after which you're required to delete them from your Tablet etc. - IIRC there is some mechanism whereby if you don't do so they can detect it (apparently) and suspend/cancel your membership.

However, Cunning Bear has discovered that downloading onto a Lappy and saving it to hard drive doesn't seem to alert them if it's not deleted.

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Thats bils Xmas present sorted!

Perhaps there could be a Business Opportunity here.....

"Punk Rockers Barfing in Shop Doorways Calendar 2024"

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

I'm not certain how you "return" a download if indeed it's necessary.    Maybe as it is legally a "borrowed" item perhaps you are technically obliged to delete it at the end of the period?    

I think that when you finish with it you simply select "return book" in a simliar way to returning a book you can borrow from Amazon as with Amazon Prime.  I'm not sure if it simply deleted or if the file is actually returned.  I do know that they know when it is returned as there is a maximum number of items you can borrow at the same time.

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Was there such a thing as a BS Chicken for use with the Chicken Gun?

More than likely ....

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

How on earth do you get BS Vomit?  Is there some calibrated guy called Stan who barfs in a bucket as required?

"Oi, Stan - more Carrots in the next batch...."

Just add diced carrot to the recipe for PC10 would make a good start  .......

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I think that when you finish with it you simply select "return book" in a simliar way to returning a book you can borrow from Amazon as with Amazon Prime.  I'm not sure if it simply deleted or if the file is actually returned.  I do know that they know when it is returned as there is a maximum number of items you can borrow at the same time.

David

I am guilty of ordering a cd, instantly getting the link to download it, doing so and then cancelling the order and getting a refund.  Of course I didn't feel bad about it at the time as I was a tax payer (unlike Amazon).

Anarchy init 😕

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's probably the same as Tesco's they have to pay for their coffee..

What kind of mean, penny pinching organisation makes their staff pay for their coffee?

At the hospital I worked at there was always coffee available (although there was a limit on the amount of coffee supplied each month to the wards) and the ER had a huge coffee urn in the waiting room for waiting patients, relatives and staff. It may not have been the best coffee in the world, but it was hot, wet and caffeinated and together with donuts and chocolates (often donated by grateful patients) we had enough coffee and sugar to keep us going through the night.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Spam fritters at school were spam dipped in batter and fried, then left to congeal in a " hot" box dripping with fat as it had nowhere to drain as it cooled.

And served with mushy peas and about four soggy chips 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What kind of mean, penny pinching organisation makes their staff pay for their coffee?

Mine. The employer doesn’t even provide coffee. It’s strictly BYO - Buy Yer Own. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

At the hospital I worked at there was always coffee available (although there was a limit on the amount of coffee supplied each month to the wards) and the ER had a huge coffee urn in the waiting room for waiting patients, relatives and staff. It may not have been the best coffee in the world, but it was hot, wet and caffeinated and together with donuts and chocolates (often donated by grateful patients) we had enough coffee and sugar to keep us going through the night.

If free coffee is provided by the employer as a regular feature then it is almost certainly taxable as a benefit in kind.

I had to support a payroll system in the past, years of fun with the variations of taxable items, and their reporting. after a taxation manager was appointed to ensure the organisation (an electricity board,) was not hung out to dry by the Inland Revenue.

Edited by zarniwhoop
Explain how I have such arcane knowledge
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Even The Great Empire provided freebie, tea, coffee & hot chocolate.

Amazingly....

18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Potentially £102 for a private jab?  I wonder if that's just the vaccine cost, or if there's more on top for the jabber?  That price will put many off.

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I used to love spam fritters when I was young. Spam was sliced, dipped in batter, deep fried and served straight from the fryer with chips. Only thing to be careful about was the retention of heat, if you were not careful you could burn your mouth. You can now get ready to heat and eat spam fritters from the supermarket, my friends young son was into them a couple of years ago.

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Storing 25kg bags of salt that just happen to be leaking, will kill off leylandii , kills everything else off too...

Many years ago I had Japanese Knotweed in the garden. I cut it down to about six inches and filled the hollow stems with rock salt. It killed it off and other plants grew on the plot the year afterwards.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The NHS I worked for!

At Trackshack we provided all staff refreshments, as much as they wanted.

All did I say All well I meant All of the councils I worked for made you pay for any tea or coffee and steady Bear cake.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Not shocking enough.
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The NHS I worked for!

At Trackshack we provided all staff refreshments, as much as they wanted.

Including Cake?

And Pizza?

And Curly Fries?

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Spam? Lovely stuff raw or grilled but not fritters.

Free coffee? Aircrew in the RAF were allowed a sum for each flight that varied with the length of sortie. I can't remember what the sums were but they were enough to keep Squadron coffee bars stocked with coffee, tea, sugar & milk.

Amazon prime? I predict that the number of parcels from Amazon to Hunt Towers will decrease dramatically from September 18th. The only reason for paying the higher prices on Amazon is that delivery is free with prime.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Amazon prime? I predict that the number of parcels from Amazon to Hunt Towers will decrease dramatically from September 18th. The only reason for paying the higher prices on Amazon is that delivery is free with prime.

Dave

Bear mainly has Prime for the TV service, though the free & fast delivery is very useful; I've ordered two cheapo items in the last couple of days that have been delivered quickly (one ordered this morning was a £3.75 packet of Wallpaper Paste that was delivered this evening - the very same packet in Wickes is £5.60).

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

In other news.....

I'll just leave this here:

"Tony Chambers, the chief executive who presided over the hospital where Lucy Letby murdered seven babies and attempted to murder six others, left with a pension worth £1 million and went on to hold a string of other lucrative NHS positions.

The married 57-year-old spent the start of this year as interim chief executive at The Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in West Sussex, earning the equivalent of a £200,000 salary, before he stepped down in June"

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

About time I had a rant. Farcebook was so slow last night I had to give up, no wonder they are losing members. When I first started using Farcebook about ten years ago it was user friendly and you could customise the way it was presented, now its take it or leave it. A good example is the new posts column, when I switch on there is usually 20+ new posts, you would think it would be easy to put the list in some sort of order such as chronological but it is in completely random order.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4