RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Polly:  unfortunately, the best view of the Tooth of Time is from downstream.  They put in a lot of concrete reinforcing on the upstream side. The falls also seem to have been reinforced.

IMG_2258.JPG.1ab33d6556a4b3238f4730e4ffec2996.JPG

Agree. I watched this before I saw the canoe ride which made think that must have been fun!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think the rot set in when “Personnel” became “Human Resources”

From comments on here it would seem that in many companies they have transformed themselves from an arbitration group balancing the needs of both management and employees for the benefit of the company to an incredibly zealous corporate version of The Spanish Inquisition. And, like the Spanish Inquisition, their zealotry is based on a rigid and inflexible dogma and woe betide anyone who dares suggest what they espouse isn’t realistic or - worse - ridicules or ignores the prevailing dogma of the day.

Unfortunately, HR departments do seem to be in thrall to the worst business excesses that come out of the US. The USA has so much and so many good things, so why do we (and I include most of Europe here as well) take on the worst aspects of American business culture*? (for example: Open Plan Offices. Even The Harvard Business School now thinks it’s a flawed concept: https://www.hbs.edu/news/articles/Pages/bernstein-open-offices.aspx) as does the NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/opinion/open-plan-office-awful.html)

*and it’s not just corporate culture, with food - for example - the US has many really amazing burger chains and what do we end up with? MickeyD

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well the overnight rain has stopped, but it is still very wet out there, so I’ll not be able to do any work on the workshop pah! So, instead the plan is to fill in the gaps I found on the bedroom fireplace. As there are only a couple and they artery big, this shouldn’t take too long. Then I’ll get changed and as Mike and Sarah are coming round, I’ll make an early start making tonight’s tea, chicken tikka masala, Bombay potatoes, which will then just require reheating, but I’ll make the pilau rice just prior to us all sitting down to eat. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing to remember once you are retired is that round tuits are in short supply. Why this should be so is a mystery. Either SWMBO's have commandeered them or someone has cornered the market and only lets a few out at a time.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

round tuits are in short supply

Round Tuits are not in short supply here. I seem to have an infinite number of them. With all my intentions of doing a GDB SWMBO today ("getamoveon") I'm finding that my next round tuit is in the queue that follows the impromptu coffee I've made myself.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think HR is like most things in that it can be good or bad, it is all about implementation. As I remind people, the best idea in the world can be implemented badly and become a disaster while a bad idea can be made to work if well implemented (within the constraints of starting out with a handicap).

In my experience HR reflects corporate culture as well as making it. I've worked for employers who drank the consultancy kool aid, had business change initiatives every year (then wondered why nobody took any of them seriously), fell for every passing fad in management theory and they did indeed have the sort of HR that gets HR a bad name but the strategy and tone were coming from the top of the business, not HR. Other businesses have had an old fashioned personnel department rebranded as HR and they've been very good. At the risk of making a hopelessly prejudiced and purely anecdotal generalization based on my own narrow observations and experiences those that are the worst seem to be government departments and agencies, or very large corporations. As organizations get smaller and people are more connected with more closed loop type relationships things tend to get much better.

I'm very lucky to work in a small organization with no HR department. We probably have a higher ratio of lawyers to headcount than many law firms yet it is all very efficient and effective. And it's a US outfit. Although lawyers are another profession which get a lot of hate I have to say that the lawyers I work with are extremely intelligent and also very down to earth and grounded. I suspect one reason is they've gone through careers and have nothing to prove to anyone and as such have zero insecurity affecting them asking for advice or admitting when they don't know stuff. I find people in any sphere who can be quite difficult are often that way because of insecurity. One thing I do admire about lawyers is they are probably top of the tree when it comes to destroying people whilst displaying impeccable manners and courtesy while doing so, the other masters in that field in my experience are Chinese diplomats. They really can get the knife in and twist it all while maintaining impeccable manners (and I say that as a compliment).

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

But our graft, in comparison to hundreds of thousands of poor saps working down coal mines,

Reading that here is weird , where underground  mining is one of the better paid jobs. The average pay of an underground miner is $160,000 (around 85,000 GBP)  once bonuses and loading is added. 

Of course the trade off is black lung disease.....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Surely "Six Mile Bottom" must be an amusing contender?

The main difference  between olde worlde European place names and Australian ones is that in  the olde worlde like where you live, most  names will be some old Norse word or something  that has been corrupted at some point and now it sounds naughty, whereas here some bloke in 1813 or whatever trudged  up a hill expecting to see a view of the  ocean or some undiscovered fertile lands etc, but instead just saw an even higher hill and so named it "Mount Bu99er this for a joke  Im going home" or similar. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Turned a floor lamp on so that I could see what I was doing. 

Pushed stuff in front of it

Now I can't reach to turn it off.

You need Wi-Fi connected bulbs! Perhaps Amazon will suggest them to you instead of musical instruments. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1