RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I remember the 1984 earthquake in the Menai Strait area, "the most seismically active area in Wales and one of the most active in the UK."* It sounded like a lorry when I first heard it but you could feel the strong vibrations indoors. Perhaps they were dynamiting at the Penrhyn Quarry, a few miles away, was another thought until it I realised it was an earthquake. I was just glad it did not get any stronger.

https://museum.wales/articles/1283/Earthquakes-in-Wales/

Edited by southern42
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Forgot to mention that I won £8 on the lottery this week. What's more it was by accident as I didn't intend to buy any ticket for the UK lottery (I usually just do the Euro lottery). A bit more to spend tomorrow at the Shenfield show.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

A question for the combined wisdom of fellow ER'ers:

Has anyone ever used heat reduction UV window film on house windows in order to drop the temperature?  Was it any good?  The muddle railway room is an upstairs nearly south-facing bedroom so cops the sun just a tad, despite the use of vertical blinds; if the film is worth a punt then I'll give it a go - I'm thinking tinted rather than mirrored.  Thanks

BG

The athermic windscreen glass on my car certainly works. Our most recent replacement double glazed sealed units have a coating of some kind on the inner pane but I don’t have any experience with the uv FiL you have found. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Has anyone ever used heat reduction UV window film on house windows in order to drop the temperature?  Was it any good?  The muddle railway room is an upstairs nearly south-facing bedroom so cops the sun just a tad, despite the use of vertical blinds; if the film is worth a punt then I'll give it a go - I'm thinking tinted rather than mirrored.  Thanks

BG

It depends entirely on the quality of the film. Its not the tint that blocks the UV, but the polymers that a decent screen  is made from. Here you can get  virtually 100% clear film that will  still block out 84% of solar radiation.

Proper ones worth spending the money on have surface coatings and inner layers  that reflect the heat back away from the windows instead of letting it through to heat the house. Look for a decent manufacturer who seems to know what they are talking about, its a pretty advanced subject here due to the desirability,  European  firms possibly may be not so.  Many there may simply  be  like a big dark sticker that just makes the inside of your house gloomier, check out their websites and read reviews.

As a bonus they make the glass less likely to shatter if smashed because they hold the window together, and thus can add a measure of security.

https://www.solargard.com/au/blog-au/architectural-window-film/myth-buster-does-window-film-need-to-be-dark-to-work/

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 16

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

BG

If you are trying to exclude or conserve heat transfer through the glass, Ultra Violent light ain't your problem.  UV from the Sun will do a number on that reproduction of the Bayeux Tapestry you are working on but it won't have much effect on temperature. It's the IR (infra-red) energy passing through the glass that does that and the best way to block it is with shutters or exterior blinds, either that or plant a lot of fast growing trees.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

As a bonus they make the glass less likely to shatter if smashed because they hold the window together, and thus can add a measure of security.

https://www.solargard.com/au/blog-au/architectural-window-film/myth-buster-does-window-film-need-to-be-dark-to-work/

As if the deadly animules in Oz were not enough, now you're telling us you have scrotes as well ?

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, southern42 said:

On the lookout for some VLDC or VCC, yesterday, one of the tearooms on the line had none but was expecting VCC** this morning. So the first trip today terminated at the appropriate place - Oh, no! VCC had not arrived! We carried on with our planned route and came back later - VCC still had not arrived.  Proposed route plan adjusted to return later and - Yippeeee! -

Beary "Dedication to the Cake" Rating:  10/10

👏👏

5 hours ago, southern42 said:

.......cake had been delivered but turned out to be VC&WC*** - even better! 

*** Vegan coffee and walnut cake

Oh no, fell at the last fence.......

No prize-giving after all  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

We were walking under the double deck freeway near Fishermans Wharf for it to collapse only a few months later.

The Nimitz Freeway, which pancaked, (Interstate 880) was on the other side of the Bay in Oakland - but the Marina district which is relatively close to Fisherman's Wharf (a bit past Ghirardelli Square as you head toward the Golden Gate) suffered extensive damage. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Nimitz Freeway, which pancaked, (Interstate 880) was on the other side of the Bay in Oakland - but the Marina district which is relatively close to Fisherman's Wharf (a bit past Ghirardelli Square as you head toward the Golden Gate) suffered extensive damage. 

Ah, thanks for that clarification. I had assumed that most of it had collapsed but at least it did improve the waterfront area in taking it down.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2