The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Buggrit.  Weather perfect for roofing but unforeseen problem has meant we’ve had to postpone again.  Multiple TCs.

I used this, fixed on top of the felt, guaranteed for 15 years, done a cracking job.

Ariel Coroline Corrugated Roofing Sheet Black 2000x950mm | Travis Perkins

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

We've just watched the Gunpowder Plot too. Thought it was really interesting; sensible presenters who didn't dominate and without patronising content.

Being old enough to remember the broadcast of such excellent and informative documentary/investigational programmes of the 60s – like The Ascent of Man, or James Burke’s Connections, I confess to finding most modern so-called documentaries to be not only condescending but incredibly simplistic and too often incredibly repetitive (by “repetitive“ I mean the following: you have a documentary on a commercial channel and in the first part they tell you [for sake of argument] that “the moon orbits the earth”,  then, after the commercial break, they tell you again that they have told you that “the moon orbits the Earth“). 

The other thing I noted is that the documentaries of those days did not spoon feed you, you had to make inferences and “fill in the gaps” yourself - it was definitely learning by putting things into context. You may not have known what a spinnaker is at the start of the programme, but you’d have reasonable idea by the end.

And whilst on the subject of TV I read an interesting commentary on the difference between US soap operas (Dallas, Dynasty etc.) and British soap operas (Coronation Street, East Enders, etc.). The commentator opined that US soap operas were (are?) aspirational (“my life may be carp, but one day I’ll have a Cadillac like JR”) whereas British soap operas were (are?) pessimistic defenders of the social status quo (“my life may be carp, but at least I’m better off than the one-legged, heroin addicted, unemployed single parent on benefits on East Enders”).

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I used this, fixed on top of the felt, guaranteed for 15 years, done a cracking job.

Ariel Coroline Corrugated Roofing Sheet Black 2000x950mm | Travis Perkins

Thats what I have used on my shed. Its the same or similar material hat they have used on covered areas at the Spa Valley Railways platform at Groombridge. Thats been up for way longer than 15 years and still doing its job. I used off cuts to go over the top of the new felt on the older small timber shed in the garden.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PupCam said:

What?   😀 This one?

image.png.2a9640d0ae22166dfad30f28de358f60.png

Bring back any memories?

Yup, this one, just behind the yew tree on the left.

2AE448F7-1B71-4D83-A978-65A31107EA81.jpeg.4667d1a2f58a36ac7771c2828c999a15.jpeg

An exceptionally good venue for a pi** poor pint, or a fight. Often available simultaneously.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning I went to the communion service at church and served as usual, than I came home and finished the e mails to friends.  Oops - It is as well I proof read that - I typed fiends!

After lunch I had a relaxing sit in a comfy chair reading magazines, after a while I went to have a look at the hardy plants in the greenhouse and gave the succulents what will probably be their last water of the year.  The pinks and passion flower usually need a  bit of water all winter unless it freezes hard.

Then there was just time for a quick cup of tea before going back to church for Evensong which these days is only done on special occasions, this time at 4p.m. to mark the anniversary of the church's dedication 136 years ago.  It replaced an earlier small chapel of ease on the same site.  It is one of my favourite services and we had a full choir of about 20 people so the singing was good.  I stayed for a coffee and cake before coming home.

Next I will watch the rest of the Grand Prix, after that I haven't yet decided.

I hope everyone has had a pleasant and peaceful Sunday.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the subject of TV I read an interesting commentary on the difference between US soap operas (Dallas, Dynasty etc.) and British soap operas (Coronation Street, East Enders, etc.). The commentator opined that US soap operas were (are?) aspirational (“my life may be carp, but one day I’ll have a Cadillac like JR”) whereas British soap operas were (are?) pessimistic defenders of the social status quo (“my life may be carp, but at least I’m better off than the one-legged, heroin addicted, unemployed single parent on benefits on East Enders”).

One significant exception to that description of US soaps was ‘Roseanne’.

While I am no great fan of Roseanne Barr herself, I agree with the Wiki description of the show as:

“Receiving generally positive reviews for its realistic portrayal of a working-class American family.”

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

'Tis a bit noisy outside with lots of crackles and bangs but still quieter than previous years.  First display in Morden Park (for the kiddies) has been and went,  next one is due at 20.30.  Can't wait. 🤥

Managed to finish building the fencing kits I've got but suspect I might still need more.

Tribute has been supped, chicken, roast potatoes, cabbage, leeks, broccoli and cauliflower eaten and Merlot sampled.  I'll probably sample a bit more shortly.

Doesn't seem to be anything on TV that interests me so will have to look for a recording or something online....or even listen to some music.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

@tigerburnie  Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about that type of solution to the roofing problem but I've already spent multiple muddling tokens on the rubber membrane and adhesive so will have to continue down that route....eventually...possibly....sometime in the near future.... I hope.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Being old enough to remember the broadcast of such excellent and informative documentary/investigational programmes of the 60s – like The Ascent of Man, or James Burke’s Connections, I confess to finding most modern so-called documentaries to be not only condescending but incredibly simplistic

Could it perhaps actually be that  modern documentaries just seem more simplistic  because being much older and wiser than we were in the 60's we pretty much know everything already  by now?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2023 at 01:41, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps you might suggest your beloved could run up waist-high drapes to run around the unsightly perimeter to hide the unmentionables?

Well "If you can get your finger out and sort out the 'spare room' maybe I could" is the sort of reply, SWMBO very capable and has done such work in the past - so famous last words ...the end of DIY  will be delayed.

The other Pup comment?  the book referred  was something like the 'Panda eats shoots and leaves'.

@Erichill16 - In spite of my above comments on the use of 'electronic aids' in terms of everything going that way we found that it made admission fees an easier process although we did/do accept cash.  The treasurer is au fait with all that 'modern stuff' and definitely knows his way around it.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. More whizzes and bangs this evening but not as bad as last night and now there's only a few in the distance. I can't help thinking of the pets on Guy Fawkes night, some must be extremely frightened.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, pH said:

One significant exception to that description of US soaps was ‘Roseanne’.

Rebooted and still kicking (without Ms. Barr who made extremely objectionable remarks on social media) as "The Connors", though with the writers' strike I don't know whether there will be any new episodes this year. Still very 'working class'. 

There have been many such family sit-coms over the years. Many of those produced by Norman Lear tended to address a lot of social issues.

Prime time scripted dramas ('soap operas') are non-existent right now - and not just as a result of the writers' strike. There are still many, many, "procedurals" (police | fire | paramedic | surgical | legal | etc) some of which (like the surgical ones) are quite soapy, but very little that is like the references to 1970s shows like "Dallas" or "Dynasty". The closest I can think of as 'soaps' are shows like "This is Us",  which ended in 2022, but as far as I know (I never watched it) it was not like the overwrought lifestyles of the extremely wealthy.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Could it perhaps actually be that  modern documentaries just seem more simplistic  because being much older and wiser than we were in the 60's we pretty much know everything already  by now?

There is a 'formula' for documentaries, made for, or that show up on, 'cheap' cable television like Discovery Channel that seem to have about 10 minutes of unique content for every half-hour.

The formula is based around commercial breaks and no more than 22 minutes of "program" per half-hour. Before the planned advertising break insertion point there is a summary, and a teaser of what is to come later in the program. When the program returns from the ad-break, there is a summary of what came before - resulting in several minutes of 'filler' around every commercial break.

This repeats for every planned commercial insertion point. The documentaries that employ this formula are dreadful and usually dumbed down, but they are not representative of all contemporary documentaries.

Documentaries developed for Public Television in the US do not use this formula.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1