The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Lenny the Laptop decided to  start misbehaving so I decided a restart was in order, at which point it decided that a Windows update was required.  So that was Bear's cue to go and pick up some leaves.....that's a Tick.

Then it was all the fun of reading the G & E Meters; now Bear has been using a couple of Radiators (in the muddlin' room when I'm playing, then a couple of hours or so driving the Bear Pit Radiator so Bear is all snugglywuggly for snoozybearland).  On top of that I've also been giving the gas fire a go as well in the evenings.  And the conclusion?  Well after reading the meters and comparing the usage with last month I reckon the next bill could be interesting......

Apart from that it's been Templot Time again.....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Manufactured stone benchtops haves been Identified as a cause of silicosis that is affecting  many tradies here.

Bunnings, our major hardware chain,  has announced they will no longer sell engineered stone benchtops, pre-empting a national ban due to come into effect in 2025. Ikea have also joined in by announcing they will no longer sell them. 

Weirdly from what I've read online it only seems to be Australia and NZ where this is an issue. Are manufactured benchtops not a thing anywhere else? And if they are  - are other countries tradies somehow unaffected?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/15/ikea-engineered-stone-sales-silicosis-ban-bunnings

Weird.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Manufactured stone benchtops haves been Identified as a cause of silicosis that is affecting  many tradies here.

Bunnings, our major hardware chain,  has announced they will no longer sell engineered stone benchtops, pre-empting a national ban due to come into effect in 2025. Ikea have also joined in by announcing they will no longer sell them. 

Weirdly from what I've read online it only seems to be Australia and NZ where this is an issue. Are manufactured benchtops not a thing anywhere else? And if they are  - are other countries tradies somehow unaffected, or just not cared about? 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/15/ikea-engineered-stone-sales-silicosis-ban-bunnings

Weird.

Caesarstone etc.is certainly available in the UK.

When Bear's Granite worktops were fitted they had to cut out the tabs holding the pieces of Granite that were to be removed for the sink and Hob; this had to be done in the Kitchen and not outside cos' the worktop may well crack if lifted afterwards.  Dust?  Oh yes, and some.  Fancy dust extraction?  A hoover.  Tool used?  An angle grinder with a stone cutting disk.

Did they wear dust masks?  Dunno - I shut them in and sealed the doorway.  Knowing what builder types are like in the UK I very much suspect not.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

' evening all from red dragon land.

Jobs done, toot on the flute done. Dinner to do.

The most painful is keeping an eye on the magma situation in Iceland. Having enjoyed the opportunity to see and better understand volcanic activity for the past three years, albeit only via online videos, I can now only think about those who have had to evacuate their homes and places of work, and all those on emergency standby or assessing the situation.

Nowt on TV that I want to watch, tonight, so I might have another toot on the flute and maybe get my beat box out gain. I would like to get that going with the current song before going onto the second half. Up until now, I have occasionally used online videos but I have more control over the speed on the beat box. So, that is a must, then!

Time to geronwivit. 

Take care. Be good. Help your wishes come true.

Polly

• Like 19

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I believe the Aussie rugby union fans use the same ploy..............................................

Are there such a thing still ? The rest of us are happy when Rugby Australia underperform, always having to put up with their  whining. "Boo hoo why does no one watch us?" " boo hoo we want more money"., "boo hoo whats so good about Rugby League anyway?" "boo hoo some lame new coach controversy  or whatever".  etc etc.

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

5 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

very nice but also ODD.

It is a sign that we live in a world of way too many  acronyms when I just spent several seconds trying to figure out what ODD was short for!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I just spent several seconds trying to figure out what ODD was short for!

And me.

And then I realised that, as Ian and I are about the same age, in order to emphasise in handwriting to typing that capitals were the way to do it, none of this fancy stuff of emboldening. Even printing had to use a different typeface for bold.

Age, though, sometimes is a right bu99er.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

… a gold covered Tomahawk Steak …

I wonder if anyone who eats one of those makes a later attempt to recover the gold 😳. (Or have I failed to grasp the concept?)

Edited by pH
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15