The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Just had to reset the house circuit breakers after what I assume was lightning wiped them out, there was a monumental bang and a flash just as they went. Proper thunder and lightning outside and a full on deluge, it's pretty savage even by the standards of SE Asian inclement weather. Sounds like the Malaysians are invading or something...... I feel sorry for dogs, as it must be awful for them, but then again when thunder and lightning are a part of normal life maybe they don't get frightened the way bangs and flashes upset dogs in Britain.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nothing too exciting happening here today. Well not compared to yesterday, when then coffee machine needed descaling! Food supplies will be arriving soon, I think everything we ordered will be delivered. 
We may go out for a walk, it depends on whether or not the big black clouds go away. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Nothing too exciting happening here today. Well not compared to yesterday, when then coffee machine needed descaling! 

I descaled the kettle a few days ago, it does make a difference to the taste of the tea. Soft water is better for tea but hard water is better for brewing beer.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We have a water softener but the downstairs cold taps are not connected to it, so our kettle and coffee machine do need some descaling. The coffee machine does have a replaceable filter in the water tank but I am not sure what it filters. 
I quite enjoyed having tea when we were in Yorkshire. Just ordering a pot of tea always resulted in something quite acceptable. Though all the more exotic varieties were available for those who desired such things. We had some gift vouchers for Bettys Cafe and Tearooms. I always imagined that Betty was some enterprising Yorkshire woman who had started a tea room after the First World War. However it turned out to be a Swiss chap who after being orphaned and being used as cheap labour on a farm decided to seek his fortune in a place he believed was called Bratwurst in England. So after arriving in Bradford and working in a local confectionery business he eventually started the famous tea room in Harrogate. 

Here's a history of Betty's.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/timeline#intro

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Had to give myself a stern talking-to yesterday - found myself humming White Christmas 😠

Radio stations are getting jittery too.

Yesterday Classic FM played "In the Bleak Midwinter".  Obviously softening listeners up for a week today when they'll go all Christmas Music...

A bit more restrained than the telly.  The Digital channels in the far reaches of the listings have been purveying "Christmas Films" since September, and now Ch5 is filling its afternoon schedule with similar dross.

Bring on Slade!!!

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The second Anglo-Dutch war (which encompasses the Raid on the Medway) was pre-empted by the capture by the Duke of York and Albany* of New Amsterdam and Fort Orange (now New York and Albany) in 1664.

* The future James II.

The Dutch would recapture it but later trade it for Willoughbyland (the English colony in South America, aka Suriname) presuming that tropical agriculture would be more profitable than what would become NYC.

A Dutchman yes, but also the grandson of one Stuart King and nephew of two others. One of the legacies of the T&Cs* of the Glorious Revolution is the gun problem in the US.

* The 1689 English Bill of Rights.

Much of British imperialism (and by consequence the US) stems from this period. The impact on world history of these times is greatly overlooked.

They also included the island in East Indies that was the home of Nutmeg. This was an English possession having been given by the locals because they were far more friendly than the VOE.

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know that about Betty's.  I used to go there after attending CIPD HR conferences in the conference centre in Harrogate, always an excuse to go anyway.  The boss didn't drive so I was the preferred accompaniment as she liked my car.  Oh, R18 Turbo - those were the days!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today, got the next load ready for the washing machine and that will go on this evening. Received two items in the post this morning, one was a book on something that runs on two parallel rails and the other was a card saying there is excess postage to pay. The excess postage is £3.50 and as I am waiting for a few items on mail order I forked out the money. If I get these not enough postage cards I ignore them as in the past I've paid out for something that I didn't want or ask for.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

6 hours ago, grandadbob said:

… my main task will be to do some minor decorating jobs, a couple of repairs  I've been putting off for weeks months actually a couple of years. (I don't like decorating, in fact I positively hate it, unfortunately when I do get a round tuit I tend to make quite a good job of it and Management knows this and doesn't let me forget it …

Perhaps get yourself one of these?

https://www.lightinthebox.com/p/men-s-unisex-t-shirt-tee-3d-print-graphic-patterned-letter-crew-neck-street-daily-print-short-sleeve-tops-designer-casual-vintage-big-and-tall-black-a_p9217372.html?from_cid=1

• Like 2
  • Funny 13