The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

52 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Now you've done it!  I was very careful not suggest that.

But it HAD to be said!!!  😁

13 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

aerobiccakes.jpg.23a2465c30654e50382665c67503860e.jpgI had posted this elsewhere but thought some on here may like the idea. @polybear?

And its still silly to pay for an hour of exercise, then scoff coffee and cake immediately afterwards!  Especially if the "refreshments" are inclusive...

Perhaps the chat is along the lines of, "exercise and cake don't go together...".

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

aerobiccakes.jpg.23a2465c30654e50382665c67503860e.jpgI had posted this elsewhere but thought some on here may like the idea. @polybear?

I had to go to a new site for my recent blood test. Next door to the Health Centre was a Day Care Centre for the over 55s. Probably full of people remembering the old days when they were punk rockers. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I had a trip to Lidl this morning, mainly for non food items but did get a couple of "treats" as well.  It was surprisingly quiet, I don't often go on a Tuesday morning.  I got back home for coffee and a read of a magazine after which I sorted out some photos until lunchtime.

This afternoon I spent some time deleting old e mails I had kept in case of need and making sure some software was up to date.  After that I went in the garden and tidied up the edges of the yew where the people who did some jobs for me earlier in the year had cut it almost flat, it now has slightly rounded edges at the top.  I now have to hope that the bare bits sprout - they should as yews normally grow back well when you cut into them.  If not it will have to have a more severe trim.  Then I tidied up more climbing roses, especially the one at the back of the garage, the top of it was well over 11' above ground so the long loppers had to be used.  It should be OK for the winter now, left unpruned at this time of years bits break off it when it gets windy.  Lastly I swept up some leaves from the path at the back of the house.

Back inside I read some more of my magazine , it is the one Beamish Museum produces, as a Friend I get a free copy each time.  It is always a fascinating read.  I hope visit it again soon, all being well before Christmas - as long as it is not icy/snowy, the roads round there can be difficult in very bad weather. I am looking forward to seeing the "new" 1950s houses which they have recently opened as well as all the other bits.

Next I got out some paint and did some model stuff, trying to get somewhere near the colour of fairly new but slightly dirty Swiss concrete.

In a short while it will be tea and reading, later it will be another episode of the French production of Maigret.  

It's cold here, 2C at the moment with sleet or snow forecast later.  I may not go very far tomorrow, even if it is fine it is going to be colder.

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Here we are:

image.jpeg.b6c80f0156c84f9d89a122776cd5dc6c.jpeg
I find them an enjoyable snack (or light meal with a salad). I find them preferable to pizza (that’s real pizza - not a frozen chemical factory looks-a-bit-like-food offerings). Pizza, even from a good pizzeria (and there’s damn few of those around) is rarely as good as what you can get in Naples - which is probably the only place in the world where the pizza is damn near perfect (as you’d expect as the Neapolitans invented pizza as a way for bakers to use up leftover bread dough after the daily bread bake).

Flammenküchen/tarte flambée is a speciality of the Alsace. As the Alsace has see-sawed between German and French ownership over the centuries, the Alsaciennes (according to my Basler friends [Basel abuts the Alsace as well as Germany]) tend to have all the negative aspects of the French and of the Germans - which is probably why no-one gets “creative” with Alsacienne recipes - no one wants to upset the Alsace 😁🤣😳 

I reckon anyone who dares splatter cheap baked beanz onto a flammenküche will find himself being rapidly introduced to that nice Mme Guillotine…

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Looks a bit, well, bland to this Bear - though I'd test it....purely in the interests of Science you understand.....

Like pizza, it's what you make of it. I'd recommend it, it's an opportunity to have something a bit different but (IMHO) just as tasty (if not more so?) as pizza. You can use some shortcuts (such as buying decent commercial pastry sheets) and the other ingredients are commonly available. Things are a bit busy right now but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll write out a recipe. 

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

They used to sell them in Tesco but a quick search online shows that if you want a ready made one you will need to put in an Ocado order. 

This one: https://www.ocado.com/products/picard-flammekueche-tarte-flambee-352524011 ? In the past Waitrose has had them, though for the last few years I've made my own. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

A busy few days have been had, one problem has been the short-term loss of Internet access, so I have only just caught up on ERs. Hope nothing important was missed. 

One matter which has 'come to my attention' is another instance of Bear moonlighting as a model ... I've seen various 'poses', including Bear on a skateboard, surfboard, bicycle and scooter. Usually with a see-through box of 'goodies' in hand or wobbling on the back... pizza and cake feature heavily. One example: 

ReedBoardall1.jpg.cbd43a302f807784f790d7a77a2fdffa.jpg

The firm is Reed Boardall - https://2.developmentservers.co.uk/reedboardall2/services/temperature-controlled-distribution/ - based in Boroughbridge, one of their lorries: 

ReedBoardall2.jpg.345c46a3a37ff2dc1572c1373876cb9c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each.

All is well here at GDB Towers and I can report that the minor decorating repairs have been completed to the satisfaction of Management and multiple Brownie points have been awarded.   She even poured me a beer before cooking bangers and mash and a glass of Black Stump has been supped and another is ready and waiting.  

I saw a mention Alsace earlier.

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

no one wants to upset the Alsace 😁🤣😳 

Paternal great grandad Louis Kaufmann was born there.  Word was that you didn't mess with him.  Nor his son or his son's son.  The son of his son's son used to have a bit of a rep too and nor do you want to mess with the son of his son's son's son.  ( I think I've got that right)  We've all got Louis as our as second or third name.  Oh and Nicki's second name is Louise as is Abbie's.  They can certainly look after themselves and don't take any prisoners.

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've just done a census on a tub of Celebrations.  The good news is that the number of Bounties appears to be fewer than in previous years, a mere 7 'orrible wastes of space!

I shall incorporate them in a Bounty-lovers Christmas Stocking!

I'll quite happily take them off your hands. 😁

Time to tend to that glass of wine.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this afternoon. The reason is that I struck a pedestrian on the way back from Tess Coes. I had just left Tess Coes and heading home when just before the PDSA I saw a man walking towards me in the road. I quickly manoeuvred to avoid him but my door mirror struck him. I pulled up and went to find him but he was nowhere to be seen. It didn't help that he was wearing dark clothing and was actually walking in the road. I have informed the police and they surmised that he was probably the worse for drink. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

Afternoon...

Bust weekend with various get togethers with friends/family, singing twice on Sunday resulted in me deciding a nap was in order Sunday evening!

Yesterday continued busy with the work reports lunacy, Jemma came over in the evening to pick up Whitney.

The moon was suitably photogenic as she was leaving so I took this;

20231127_181718FullMoon.jpg.50e9d82eb2717edf098b16a28d1de3ab.jpg

Seems we DO qualify for a roof replacement on the rental house (yipee!), though it'll NOW have to wait until Spring as it's too cold <bah>

Asphalt roofing shingles of the type installed in most of the US require a decent temperature (4c - 26c) as roofing shingles have a thermally activated asphalt sealer that needs heat/sunlight to properly seal.

Weather currently 12c first thing and -1c the expected high. Looking at average of -3c overnight and 1c-2c for highs for the week, so no roofing happening.

Carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

This one: https://www.ocado.com/products/picard-flammekueche-tarte-flambee-352524011 ? In the past Waitrose has had them, though for the last few years I've made my own. 

Whoa......hang on just one minute.......

"Typically Alsatian, flammekueche is a tart with very thin pastry and a light topping of crème fraîche, lardons and onions: a wonderful dish for winter evenings."

Now if you think I'm gettin' in Pupper's naughty book (again)........

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whoa......hang on just one minute.......

"Typically Alsatian, flammekueche is a tart with very thin pastry and a light topping of crème fraîche, lardons and onions: a wonderful dish for winter evenings."

Now if you think I'm gettin' in Pupper's naughty book (again)........

Typically Alsatian?

Barks loudly and grabs criminals by the arm....

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

It's just been snowing here in Northumberland coast, there is a thin layer on the car but it didn't settle on the ground.  More is expected.

It's the first of this autumn/winter.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17